The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigano buys Auto-Sleeper

+18
Paramedic
Eltel
Cymro
Gromit
m8form8
AndyLouch
Askit
Cookie99
logburner
groundhog
Heanorboy
Peter Brown
harry h
burlingtonboaby
roli
dbroada
PLOUGHLIN
Paulmold
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Trigano buys Auto-Sleeper - Page 2 Empty Re: Trigano buys Auto-Sleeper

Post by m8form8 Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 10:49

Not many makes left not owned by Trigano now other than few German ones it seems. It seems to be that such a monopoly will not ensure the future of quality over quantity. But then realistically quality has been diminishing for some time at Auto Sleeper. Like so many motor based industries it has become more of a brand name based mainly on its huge successes with the early once piece fibreglass moulded body fitted out with well built stuff. Looking at the many that came after our last AS I failed to see the same level of solid durable construction. The same can be said about the motor industry itself that from the 70s on wards got less and less built, and more and more mass produced stuff. 
It is all called progress and I always think of a quote from the children's books of CS Lewes.    
 "I have seen this progress in an egg, In Narnia well call it going bad".   dont_mentionIt rolleyes confused3 scratch head look here winks snigger hugegrins hugegrins
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 11:10

Having been sold and bought myself (professionally) a few times, I don't expect any significant difference and certainly not in the short term.

Despite a few faults I am very happy with the new Auto-Sleeper vans I have bought, my major problems have been with the Ford rear axle and the Mercedes engine and brakes.

For the last few years, Auto-sleepers have been spending less on warranty work than in any time in their existence and the current management are very proud of that fact.

My brother last two vans have been Burstners, not a layout I like but fundamentally good vans however the fault list......

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 12:20

Have to agree with Peter regarding quality though I have never owned a Ford and never experienced any problems with the two Mercedes based vans we have owned, in fact the service from MB has always been exceptional!

I posted in another thread about the problems a neighbour is having with his Hy*er and our son's Laika ( also built by Hy*er) has endless problems especially with the toilet system, drains and electrics although to its credit the insulation beats ours hands down!

A close friend owns a prestige yacht building business in the south east and I have often traded the idea with him we should use his spare capacity to start a new company to build motorhomes properly, maybe it isn't such a bad idea if quality goes so far down.... scratch head

Regarding RV's across the pond, yes build quality is probably better, much heavier duty, but that is the problem..... MUCH heavier and certainly not suited to Cornish lanes!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 13:00

Peter Brown wrote:For the last few years, Auto-sleepers have been spending less on warranty work than in any time in their existence and the current management are very proud of that fact.

My brother last two vans have been Burstners, not a layout I like but fundamentally good vans however the fault list......
A significant point I would have thought!

The truth is we can only guess, and with the rest of my life getting shorter by the minute, I prefer to be optimistic. Our present van has had its share of problems, the most recent being the electric heating packing up, but like Peter, I'm pretty satisfied overall. It has plenty of good features, but is not alone in being spoiled by lack of care and attention to detail in the build - which is still fundamentally better than many, if not most of the others.

This is probably our last van anyway! rainyday
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 13:30

Gromit wrote:
The truth is we can only guess, and with the rest of my life getting shorter by the minute, I prefer to be optimistic. Our present van has had its share of problems, the most recent being the electric heating packing up, but like Peter, I'm pretty satisfied overall. It has plenty of good features, but is not alone in being spoiled by lack of care and attention to detail in the build - which is still fundamentally better than many, if not most of the others.

This is probably our last van anyway! rainyday

Thanks, Dave: an uncannily accurate draft of what I would have posted! I agree on all counts ... especially the final one. The lure of more cruises is strong, leaving less and less time for holidays in the motorhome.

I wish i'd never sold the Clubman..... Given my age, and its, another 5 or so years of touring would have probably been sufficient. I could have avoided all the hassle with the Nuevo!

Belated Happy New Year to the Forum.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner Fri 6 Jan 2017 - 23:02

As with Dave's post.  "It's probably our last van anway"............Ditto here, and the old ones are sturdy, and less complicated.  I think mine will see me out...hugegrinsWhistle1
logburner
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat 7 Jan 2017 - 8:01

logburner wrote:As with Dave's post.  "It's probably our last van anway"............Ditto here, and the old ones are sturdy, and less complicated.  I think mine will see me out...hugegrinsWhistle1
Like wise log burner, our Sigma appears to be working fine ( fingers crossed behind back)
Boaby.  scratch head
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat 7 Jan 2017 - 11:51

I didn't realise that Trigano owned so many brands when I saw the list..
Others not already mentioned -

Challenger, Mobilvetta, Chausson, CI, Karmann Mobil, Roller Team, Elnagh, McLouis,  and ones I've never heard of - Arca, Autostar, ContVendome, Notin.

I assume these have all been left to carry on as they were, so perhaps AS will be left alone as well.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue 10 Jan 2017 - 11:42

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Tue 10 Jan 2017 - 23:57

Good evening all

Yes I'm a Autosleepers forum newbie and about to part exchange my present Motorhome for a new Autosleeper Nuevo.

I'm a little concerned about the comments on build qualities of new Autosleepers and the recent purchase by Trigano. 

As I will be buying from a Autosleepers dealer some 70 miles away (they have a 2016 demo model on offer) will my local Autosleepers honour any warranty issues?

As my previous Motorhomes have been Burstner and Knaus I am keen to buy a U.K. quality Motorhome.

Eltel
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 0:35

It has been said on here (and reading Peter's link) that Trigano already have a share in Auto Sleeper, they have just increased their share and at least one of the directors is already a trigano man so I don't see any big change in the foreseable future - and certainly not if you are buying last year's model! hugegrins

Obviously I can't know but I would expect your dealer to honour any waranty work which would be covered by the sale of goods act anyway.

My 2016 Nuevo is the first professional van I have have and in general I am happy with it BUT I would have been delighted with it if only more attention to detail had been lavished on it at the build stage.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 5:55

Hi Eltel
Welcome to the forum from breezy Bridlington ,all the best with your new purchase .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 8:09

Any future warranty issues would be with the dealer where you purchased your van. In your case, I don't think another dealer (closer to you) would entertain your request unless by agreed collaboration in conjunction with Autosleepers. Welcome to the forum.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 9:36

I have no brand loyalty to Autosleepers nor disloyalty to anyone else.

I join with the majority of Autosleepers owners who I am sure are happy with the build quality and my local branch of Marquis ( Plymouth) has given first rate service.This forum represents a small percentage of new van owners and only a small percentage of people on here have problems so deduce from that the percentages if you will. Some will experience major problems and awful customer service but that is not unique to motorhomes. I used to sell and lease commercial jet aircraft, Boeing, Airbus etc for a living and if you saw how many 'snags' they come out of the factory with you would never fly again. The man that never made a mistake never made anything.  Autosleepers continue to build some of the best quality motorhomes around BUT it is those final pre delivery issues that either the dealers or the factory need to improve on.

Example, our van arrived with a badly out of adjustment cabinet door, the heating vents in the bathroom were not attached to the pipes, cooker door flew open every bump, in all 24 silly things that should have been spotted. Most of the issues I fixed myself in a few minutes.

To me, none of these were big issues and once resolved the van has been perfect in every respect (4 years old now).

My advice is check the van THOROUGHLY when you pick it up, be picky, you will be fine.

Compared to our son's Laika and neighbours Hymer build quality is no better or worse, both of them have had issues as well.

You have made a great choice and I do not think the takeover will make any difference.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 9:55

I was in conversation yesterday with one of the longest serving motorhome salesmen in the country (many on here will know who I'm talking about). We chatted for quite a while and the buyout came into the conversation. I asked him how he felt. He said he thought there would be no change but as he was 'old school' he couldn't help wishing that quality would revert to the days of Monocoque in the case of AS, that to him was the peak of their quality. His dealership has several brands of new motorhomes and he agreed totally that so much more should be done at manufacture stage instead of the dealers having to spend so much time putting things right. He said he was fed up of filling out questionnaires from manufacturers asking for feedback when nothing is done after giving such feedback. Considering he sells several brands, his advice was still 'stick with AS'.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 11:43

We had a saying at "Marconi s" back in the day.
Get it right first time 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 11:49

Paulmold wrote: Considering he sells several brands, his advice was still 'stick with AS'.
Thanks for that Paul. up!

I was of that opinion anyway in spite of all the problems highlighted on here, but it's good to get reassurance from someone in the best possible position to pass judgement.

As far as I can tell most, or all makes of motorhome are less well built than they used to be, but (hopefully) A/S have sunk a bit more slowly than the others?

I'm not sure if I'm right, but it does seem that although A/S have their share of problems, most are relatively minor - compared to some of the horror stories we hear about other makes. It's a pity, but the vans urgently need a bit more care and attention to detail at the build stage, as many of us have observed before . . . and A/S appear studiously to ignore! shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 11:57

As ASOC members know, AS Senior management come and meet club members during the ASOC National Rally. Usually the main representative is Geoff Scott. Alan Curry is usually there as well and happy to assist with members specific problems. It is an excellent opportunity for owners to give feedback direct to management. I can't confirm who will be attending in 2017 yet.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Trigano buys Auto-Sleeper - Page 2 Empty Auto-Sleeper Sell Out "Again"

Post by CC Mon 30 Jan 2017 - 17:21

Just read in this months MMM that Auto-Sleepers (including their Marquis dealership network) have sold out to the Trigano group who make the Adria, Tribute & Benimar motorhomes amongst others. It says that Auto-Sleeper will retain a part ownership, seeing the company in the hands of a previous investor previously & then seeing them bought back to british ownership by Geof Scott & Mike Crouch I'm wondering why they needed this investment especially when their turnover seems so good.  

I know under the previous takeover it was said that the quality went downhill, although I have no evidence of this only hearsay, but I am wondering how this move will effect future models. Having looked at competing motorhomes from Rapido & Pilote they seem to have more features going & for considerably less money, we are already looking at & taking an interest for our next motorhome upgrade. Things like a garage, floor storage, euro style lounge with twin singles or transverse double etc seem along way away (if ever) for AS to implement.

CC

Last edited by CC on Tue 31 Jan 2017 - 11:47; edited 1 time in total

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon 30 Jan 2017 - 17:42

With turnover last year up 21% to £104m and profit up 207% to £5m, why should they change their strategy of motorhomes aimed at British buyers.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 30 Jan 2017 - 18:47

Has this not been reported previously on the forum?  https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t19906-trigano-buys-auto-sleeper
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Trigano buys Auto-Sleeper - Page 2 Empty Auto-Sleeper Sell Out "Again"

Post by CC Tue 31 Jan 2017 - 11:21

Liam wrote:Has this not been reported previously on the forum?  https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t19906-trigano-buys-auto-sleeper

Correct Liam... 
Sorry, Having not been on the forum a lot recently I'd missed this! (have now merged my post with the earlier thread)

Paul you did well to spot that so early up! it was News to me when i opened up MMM and I was rather disappointed to read of the buy out after "So Much Fuss" was made a few years ago about bringing it back to British ownership by Geoff Scott & Mike Crouch almost used as a selling point in the motorhome mags, disappointing to see them go back on this!

As much as we love our Broadway Duo EL... I personally have become very disillusioned with the Auto-Sleeper brand and more so its dealer network Marquis, bitter experiences don't ever leave you & unless AS buck their ideas up and come up with features other manufacturers have as mainstream features then I'll be looking elsewhere, my personal feeling of AS motorhomes is they all look very lovely & posh on the surface with plush furnishings etc but dig deeper and they are way behind the competitors.

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue 31 Jan 2017 - 11:33

For those interested, here is a profile of François Feuillet, the head of Trigano..

http://corporate-executives.com/executives/francois-feuillet/

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue 31 Jan 2017 - 11:45

Paulmold wrote:For those interested, here is a profile of François Feuillet, the head of Trigano..

http://corporate-executives.com/executives/francois-feuillet/

And he has now been joined on the ASI Board by two more family members so they have a majority of 3 to 2

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue 31 Jan 2017 - 11:49

What are your predictions or feelings for the AS brand Peter? if you have any...

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next