The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have I won the prize

+17
bantamblade
m8form8
terry chapman
daisy mae
Bad Penny
pjkxpjkx
Mrs ploppy
Paramedic
gef
harry h
burlingtonboaby
moggyminor1966
mikethebike
Kingham
KimF
Gromit
Paulmold
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Have I won the prize Empty Have I won the prize

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Is there a prize for worst Autosleeper of the year?
Can I put mine forward.
These are the faults from new and over the last 12 months, some not fixed, still, now told won't be looked at until 2017!!

Condensation in habitation door (Faulty door replaced)
Faulty dashboard pod (Wrong pod refitted still not rectified)
No tyre pressure monitoring system (Still not rectified)
Hill start assist warning light (Repaired itself!)
Carbon monoxide alarm missing (Replaced)
Warning light check reversing lights (Repaired)
Warning light check parking lights (Repaired)
Habitation door hard to shut (Door replaced due to condensation)
'Shift' displays on dashboard pod when in 6th gear (Peugeot fault can't be rectified)
Defective radio/reception (Still not rectified)
Habitation door footwell full of water (Door replaced due to condensation)
Trip computer malfunctioning (Still not rectified)
Catastrophic gas failure, gas released at tank pressure, see my other post (I believe the tank and regulator changed no report)
Toilet flush pump defective (Repaired)
Large rear roof-light broken (Still not rectified)
Awning LED defective (Still not rectified)
Large front roof-light creaking and rattling (Repaired)
Burning smell from water heater (Still not rectified)
Habitation door graphics missing (Replaced)

Do I win? 
Where did I buy it? Where do you think?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Have I won the prize Empty Re: Have I won the prize

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:41 pm

12 of the list are down to AS although 4 relate to the same item (door).
8 are base vehicle - Peugeot.   Can you not take it to any Peugeot dealer? 

Not good is it???

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:40 pm

Spockydog wrote:'Shift' displays on dashboard pod when in 6th gear (Peugeot fault can't be rectified)
Disappointing, to say the least. A real Friday afternoon job!!

If it's any slight consolation the problem quoted above can be fixed. Our Peugeot dealer did it for me. smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by KimF Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm staggered with the amount of defects that are reported on this forum from owners of brand new or nearly new Autosleeper motor homes. I bought a 2008 Warwick Duo, as my budget allowed, and it seems a pretty well sorted vehicle but I wonder what the poor 1st owner went through getting it that way. Certainly put me off buying new that's for sure.
KimF
KimF

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:41 am

KimF wrote:I'm staggered with the amount of defects that are reported on this forum from owners of brand new or nearly new Autosleeper motor homes. I bought a 2008 Warwick Duo, as my budget allowed, and it seems a pretty well sorted vehicle but I wonder what the poor 1st owner went through getting it that way. Certainly put me off buying new that's for sure.

In 2009 I made the move across from caravanning and bought a Bessacarr (Swift) motorhome, followed by another Swift motorhome in 2012. Both vans had their faults which were quickly sorted under warranty, but after participating in a few forums at the time, it became apparent that I was among the fortunate, not to be a victim of the poor workmanship that far too many Swift owners were reporting.

Throughout those years and indeed earlier years of caravan ownership, Auto-Sleeper were always considered to be amongst the 'Best Of British' and I aspired to own one, such was their reputation for a high quality product.

Like yourself, I am concerned about the apparent increase in AS customer complaints over quality and taking in to account that AS are a smaller company than Swift, they should have fewer units being complained about.

If someone like myself, a fan of the AS product, who has a deposit down on a new van, is concerned about AS's reputation becoming tarnished, then AS should be concerned too and not be short sighted over their reputation.

I remember Mercedes going through a similar phase several years ago, when trying increase profits they started using cheaper steel and ended up with a reputation for rusting cars, which no doubt cost them a lot to rebuild their tarnished quality reputation.

Unfortunately these big companies are unlikely to take heed of customers until they see their profits reducing year on year, then someone may sit up and take notice.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:48 am

Paulmold wrote:12 of the list are down to AS although 4 relate to the same item (door).
8 are base vehicle - Peugeot.   Can you not take it to any Peugeot dealer? 

Not good is it???
As i understand the law you return to the supplying dealer. His problem. For that many faults i would think a good case for your money back.
I am amazed by the number of members that have faults and fail to take more positive action.
Can we not know the supplying dealer and his response?

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:59 am

Surely a good case for naming and shaming?
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:29 am

I know its been said before, but its looks like there's very little in the way of inspecting and testing the van before it goes to the dealers, how many dealers actually do a PDI ? only to leave the snagging to the new owners, who have folked out 50/60K+ Only to have to return to van for repairs or poor workmanship.
Its a pity that the high heed yuns at Autosleeper don't read the forum and read some of the unhappy feedback from customers on their vans.
I wonder if any of the negative feedback from customers actually filters back to head office?
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:06 am

Here's a sad tale regarding an AS Stratford that I've copied from a Facebook group. I've missed the beginning of the tale but basically after a lot of faults mainly on the Peugeot side, the dealer offered to exchange the motorhome, now read on (I've removed posters names as some are members of this forum)..

Update on the Peugeot Stratford. I took it back into the dealers, booked in for engine rattle, antifreeze leak from somewhere on engine andi it's used 2 1/2 litres of oil since purchase.. I had a phone call the next day off the service Manager to say that the rattle was coming from the EGR which had been sorted but he was unhappy about the oil and the water usage and that it had been booked into Peugeot. I then had a Phone call off the Directors son to say that they had found me a replacement vehicle as a straight swap. We travelled 70 miles to see it [ Fiat Venture 2010 ] admittedly lower mileage but also lower spec, No Alloy wheels, no cruise control, plastic windows,a lot less storage , shorter sofas and for some strange reason the Microwave was in a shelf on the floor ??? We rejected the vehicle and returned home. Last Friday another phone call to say that they had found us a replacement Stratford 2010 only 8,000 miles on clock. We travelled back down again Saturday morning were handed the keys and told to take it for a spin, started the engine and the water warn31ing light wouldn't go off, we took it for a short test drive and it seemed to drive ok. On checking the vehicle over there was an 8- 10 inch long by 1/2 inch wide scrape above windscreen pillar onto the roof,2x long backrest cushions missing off the sofas, table missing, no wind out canopy , no tow bar which was on ours. Spokje to the Salesman [ Directors son] and voiced our concerns, he said that his father had specifically bought this vehicle in for us, not to worry about the warning light, he'd take the canopy off our van and put it on this vehicle, we could have the table from our van and he'd find some backrests for u and do the paint, but as we had spent £28,000 on this van I have to admit I felt rather insulted and t5hat they were just trying to fob us off with any old vehicle. He told us as our vehicle had had so much trouble he wouldn't like us to have it back and that they would probably trade it out. I still voiced my concern and unhappiness with the second vehicle offered us, but he told us to go away and think about it and either come back before closing time or have the weekend to mull it over.So we returned home.Yesterday morning we had a phone call from the Service manager, My Stratford was back from Peugeot and ready to be picked up and Peugeot had said that they could find anything wrong with it, when I asked about the Antifreeze leak and the oil usage he said that he knew nothing about it and it had only gone in for the rattle ? Strange as parked next to our vehicle on Saturday morning. An hour later I had a phone call off the salesman to ask if web had made a decision about the replacement vehicle, when I said that I had decided not to go for it and would take up their kind offer of having my money back, he said that he would be deducting £1,500 for the use we had of it, [ last week he offered me the full amount ] I said that I would be phoning Trading Standards for advice and he lowered the amount to £1.000. Spoke to Trading Standards and they said that a small usage fee can be charged. I forgot to say that fair play to the dealer they did give me a courtesy car while they had my vehicle, A 7 year old skoda which was absolutely filthy when we had it, both inside and out. The following day when getting my 2 year old Grand daughter out of her car seat , my daughter stood her on the rear floor to put her coat on and noticed something in her mouth, A roofing nailI can only thank God she didn't swallow it, they were on the back floor and another one had gone through her shoe , luckily not piercing her foot I phoned the Dealer and spoke to the Receptionist who said that she'd pass the message on and I also spoke to the Service Manager about it, it seems that the message wasn't passed on to the powers that be as not even an apology was forth coming. To sum up had vehicle 4 months, in for repair for a whole month , no satisfaction , cost to me £1,000.

{There are then several messages of support, followed by this further message from the 'victim'..}

Another update, West country Motorhomes have now got my Peugeot Stratford up for sale for £31,995. £5,000 more than what they bought it back from me after saying that they couldn't repair it. They've got it advertised without putting a photo of the outside in their add.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:37 am

Beggars belief doesn't it , I would feel shafted, if I had received the same treatment .
Boaby

Its nice to see at least one A/S dealership looking at the topics on the forum,
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by harry h Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:05 pm

I bet A/S has lost many a sale by not building on the Ford chassis any more and build quality does seem lacking. The Amethyst we have seems a quality product and hard to replace.
harry h
harry h

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi All
Unfortunately the new Consumer rights Act came in in October 2015 . I bought and paid and therefore entered into a contract in July. I have complained to MD and CEO of dealership to be admonished and told there is a perfectly good complaints dept not to write to the MD or CEO. Despite my frustration and increasing anger I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I think there is a real case for a governing body/omdudsman who overseas the motorhome industry and protects the little people. So I have now written to the CEO of A/S asking the question "Would you buy another Autosleeper?" then outlining the facts to date which ran into four pages. I am waiting a response, because the next step is Trading Standards, Watchdog, Rip-Off Britain and all of the Motorhome magazines. I refuse to lie down. 
For those interested and I am sure no surprise to many...........Marquis
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:24 pm

Would you buy another Autosleeper !! Not a new one, not just the 20% VAT hike, but the built quality highlighted on this forum and others, has put me off even considering a newer one. my old Sigma is pretty soldier proof.
I hope you receive a reply from the  M.D and resolve your van problems without going any further into the legal mine field.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:47 pm

Always a good idea to pay a good deposit on the credit card and then pursue them for any loss they will pay up.
geof
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi Spockydog, may we offer our sincere best wishes for a successful and satisfactory conclusion to the issues surrounding your Broadway. Surely it is a crime that you have been denied all the fun and pleasure expected from the pride of ownership of such a prestigious make of motorhome. Understand a few on this forum have highlighted serious problems over time and the rest of us may count ourselves fortunate by comparison. Hope your resolve remains strong and your heath and well-being does not suffer. Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Have I won the prize Empty Have I won a prize

Post by Mrs ploppy Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:32 pm

We have broadway EB 2016 we had some problems contacted A/S but they referred me back to the dealer all work completed they also fetched my m/ h a 100 mile round trip so well satisfied up to now, dealer S.M.C Newark
Mrs ploppy
Mrs ploppy

Female

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway eb
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Paramedic.     +1  here.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KimF Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Spockydog wrote:Hi All
Unfortunately the new Consumer rights Act came in in October 2015 . I bought and paid and therefore entered into a contract in July. I have complained to MD and CEO of dealership to be admonished and told there is a perfectly good complaints dept not to write to the MD or CEO. Despite my frustration and increasing anger I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I think there is a real case for a governing body/omdudsman who overseas the motorhome industry and protects the little people. So I have now written to the CEO of A/S asking the question "Would you buy another Autosleeper?" then outlining the facts to date which ran into four pages. I am waiting a response, because the next step is Trading Standards, Watchdog, Rip-Off Britain and all of the Motorhome magazines. I refuse to lie down. 
For those interested and I am sure no surprise to many...........Marquis

I see Matt Allright from BBC's 'Watchdog' and 'Rogue Traders' is a huge camper van fan and owns a VW Cafifornia, drop him a line he seems to enjoy championing the underdog and has had some successful results.
KimF
KimF

Male

Member Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Post by pjkxpjkx Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:24 pm

You are the current holders of the prize but don't expect to keep it.
Anyone who thinks that AS is a high quality product is an alternative reality.
PeteJ
pjkxpjkx
pjkxpjkx

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by harry h Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:42 am

I think AS used to be a quality product you just have to look at the build quality of anything built before 2008/09 they do seem a better product. When did the current management buy AS? Maybe  a decision was  made to build a cheaper product but ask a premium price. I would certainly not buy a new AS.
harry h
harry h

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:04 am

harry h wrote:I think AS used to be a quality product you just have to look at the build quality of anything built before 2008/09 they do seem a better product. When did the current management buy AS? Maybe  a decision was  made to build a cheaper product but ask a premium price. I would certainly not buy a new AS.
Critical points could be the sale to the Italian SEA group in 2005.
In 2009 A/S directors  Messrs Scout and Crouch, become distributors for all SEA group products in the UK.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:17 am

Hi Spockydog, so sorry to hear of your bad luck. 

I would without delay, speak to your Trading Standards office for advice and guidance. Perhaps also write to the chief exec of AS and tell him that the time has now come to pass your story onto the MH magazines, with all the relevent details of your saga.  This will show AS in a very poor light, unless of course he decides to step in and sort it himself.

AS are the top selling outfit in this country, but still need to keep on their toes if they wish to stay there, any bad publicity could well affect that status.

Good luck.

Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:54 pm

Written to CEO A/S waiting for a response but it's been a week already, without reply. Letter was signed for so I know he got it. If I don't get a response then he will get another letter as I will be contacting Watchdog, Rip off Britain and all the M/H magazines and see if he responds then. These companies seem to be operating with impunity so it must be time for change.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:24 pm

Spockydog I do feel for you and any other members who have issues with their AS vans.it is totally unacceptable and disgraceful, how can AS distance themselves from all the complaints? , I know standards have slipped with all bulders of motorhomes and caravans, you only have to compare new with older models, I have always said since I have been into motor homes, that I would never have a new model, I would sooner have an old quality built one than a new shiny problematic mess.

These vans are not cheap by any means, and for most folk it is a very big thing to pay out for. It beggars belief that AS have not woken up after all this time it has been going on, shoddy  work, complacency, they must be loosing sales, they don`t deserve to still be in business if that is their attitude. quite honestly I am speechless that a firm can be like they are. after all  jobs are at risk if they go under.

My motto has always been older and  quality before new and tacky, even with cars, never had a new one, always older high end cars.  

My husband bought a newish car a few months ago,  he has had more problems with that one car  than he ever had with  all the cars he has had in forty plus years put together  it is also a quality car. it has cost him in time and money, so new cars are not without their problems.

Good luck Spockydog, hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction, trouble is,  it is now tainted and off putting
.We  had a new caravan 2006, within a week it was riddled with damp, poor quality sealant they said it was,  the backend had to be rebuilt, roof taken off shower etc taken out, we didn`t want it, after that but had no choice, if  it is repairable the builders repair it, we were so pleased that it was written off in the hail storm of 2012.

I don`t know what the answer is if the MH / Caravan builders have the attitude they have, in our caravans case, they went up the wall Avondale.,  are no more.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : word missing)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by terry chapman Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:12 am

Same problems plus more with a new Broadway. Problems with same dealer could not get repairs done to our satisfaction. We only bought a AS because they were considered one of the best the UK had to offer and having German before we were used to a better quality product. In the end we sold the Broadway and purchased a Dethleffs a superb piece of kit with fantastic back up by our local dealer. Under no circumstances will we ever entertain British again, if that was the best what are the rest like?
terry chapman
terry chapman

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : broadway

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next