The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travelex at Bath & West

2 posters

Go down

Travelex at Bath & West Empty Travelex at Bath & West

Post by easylifer Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Maybe I am becoming too critical in my advancing years but I could not recommend this show to anyone after my experience yesterday.
Possibly not the organisers fault but the day visitor car park is approached through a building site and is
badly signed.
The range of products, from new motorhomes to dog beds was very limited and the whole ambience of the show area was dismal and uninviting.
Attendance seemed to be very poor, probably adding to the lack of atmosphere and this despite the very reasonable weather: I would not like to be there were it raining.
To sum it up 'a major disappointment'. so_sad
easylifer
easylifer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Travelex at Bath & West Empty Re: Travelex at Bath & West

Post by stoneb Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:55 am

Being members of the MCC (Motor Caravanners' Club) we paid a slightly reduced price of £42 for the weekend at this Bath & West Showground (Shepton Mallet) event. We arrived early pm on Thursday and were permitted to camp right through to leaving on Monday - 4 nights. Some rain showers on Friday, lots of rain Saturday morning into the afternoon, but a fine sunny day on Sunday to help dry most things out.

I concur with easylifer's comments above. This "show" has been going downhill gradually over the past number of years. Even compared to two years ago, there were very few exhibitors/sales tents that took only 45 minutes to look around the lot, provided you didn't stop to hear everyone else's moans about the p-poor show. Very few bargains were to be found, in fact, most stuff offered by some of the sales tents were priced above those available locally. There used to be a good fireworks display on the Saturday evening, but this year the Saturday "highlight" was an open air late evening film of Dad's Army! Wooppee? Cold and wet conditions were experienced by the few who attended that offering!

High pitch fees charged by the organisers for the sales tents and display areas are thought to be to blame for putting off vendors. I was told that the fee charged for an average MH stand/sales area was in the order of £20,000. One individual seller admitted to me that he had to pay £300 for his small sales pitch. As a small family concern, this meant his family had to give away a big chunk of his products and profit just to break even, little wonder he couldn't offer more attractive prices for his goods.

The best bit was being able to make a social weekend rally with like minded friends and club members. We'd had enough by Sunday afternoon and left to drive home in the dry. Just as well, because it's damp and a bit miserable again here in S.Devon!

Best regards to all who braved this event. I look forward to reading your comments.

From Barry, Pepi and SWMBO Ve.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down