The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overnight at the tunnel/Ashford

+8
matchlessman
Juno5458
jollywalker
dbroada
bikeralw
TravelKat
groundhog
StewPotch
12 posters

Go down

Overnight at the tunnel/Ashford Empty Overnight at the tunnel/Ashford

Post by StewPotch Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi all,

I’m looking for a bit of advice regarding the Tunnel or to be more precise, where to stay the night prior to using the tunnel.

I’ve used the tunnel a few times before, by motorbike & car but have always booked into a hotel near Ashford but this is the first time by motorhome.

The general idea would be to reach the tunnel area around 10-11pm on a Friday, after a 500+ mile journey, then get a few hours’ sleep and get a train about 7-8am Saturday.

Is parking up within the tunnel compound car parks an option?

We don’t want to turn up at a site at 11pm but can’t leave home earlier as we’re kind of governed by finishing work time on the Friday afternoon.

Thanks in advance
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Overnight at the tunnel/Ashford Empty Re: Overnight at the tunnel/Ashford

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Black Horse CC site has an area specifically for people using the tunnel, it is about 15 minutes away from the tunnel ( maybe less) good but not cheap.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelKat Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:48 pm

StewPotch wrote:Hi all,

I’m looking for a bit of advice regarding the Tunnel or to be more precise, where to stay the night prior to using the tunnel.

I’ve used the tunnel a few times before, by motorbike & car but have always booked into a hotel near Ashford but this is the first time by motorhome.

The general idea would be to reach the tunnel area around 10-11pm on a Friday, after a 500+ mile journey, then get a few hours’ sleep and get a train about 7-8am Saturday.

Is parking up within the tunnel compound car parks an option?

We don’t want to turn up at a site at 11pm but can’t leave home earlier as we’re kind of governed by finishing work time on the Friday afternoon.

Thanks in advance
You can't park within the tunnel complex overnight.  We usually get a train late afternoon, and stay on a site about 6 miles from the tunnel on the French side.  If that isn't an option for you, then Black Horse Farm as suggested would be an option, although I don't know whether you can arrive there at any time of night.  You'd have to check with the wardens direct.

On other forums I have read that there is a nearby Tesco where people have said they've overnighted, but I have no personal experience of doing that.
TravelKat

Female

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Further to the above, we've spent the night in the Tesco car park at Ashford with no problems at all.
This is the alternative, not cheap though: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Last time we used Black Horse Farm there seemed to be an area just inside the site where you could come and go at any time without disturbing everyone else and was designated as a Tunnel area.....that may have changed now of course!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:03 pm

I THINK we stayed at the "Drum Inn". We were delayed in France and didn't fancy the drive home and phoned from Calais. Despite there being a party (landlord's family) we were made very welcome. I hope this is where we stayed as they deserve a mention.

Last edited by dbroada on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:32 pm

bikeralw wrote:Further to the above, we've spent the night in the Tesco car park at Ashford with no problems at all.
This is the alternative, not cheap though: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I see car parking is £6, but motorhome £20.
My Duetto fits in a car parking space, but I bet they would still want £20 off me.
Jollywalker
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:06 am

Thanks all for your replies - I'll look into the options and form a cunning plan. smile!
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:42 am

Not used the tunnel for a while, but I remember a car park if still there, past tescos on the road leading to the tunnel offices. Although you have to pay to park, I think it is 24 hour manned. Used to use it when meeting a colleague after we had made our sales calls in the area to take a cheap ticket on the tunnel to go France for dinner and come back quite late.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Juno5458 Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:49 pm

Hello There is a campsite in a rural area about 6 miles from Folkestone tunnel. Its a newly opened site and is a stone throw from Folkestone. Its called Goldpark Leisure, fully equipped' hope that is of help :)
Juno5458
Juno5458

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Trident
Vehicle Year : VW T4

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:32 pm

Why not get on the first available train, get into France and stop a few miles down the motorway on an Aire? I know there are anecdotal horror stories, but I've never had a problem and I've never met anybody who has had a problem. They aren't very different to UK services, except the more enlightened French don't charge to use them.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:46 pm

matchlessman wrote:Why not get on the first available train, get into France and stop a few miles down the motorway on an Aire? I know there are anecdotal horror stories, but I've never had a problem and I've never met anybody who has had a problem. They aren't very different to UK services, except the more enlightened French don't charge to use them.

That's our preference - you wake up in France, all ready to go.

No need to go far either as there are plenty of aires off motorways (if they are a concern) within ten miles. We sometimes use Cite Europe which is right next to the trains. There are horror stories here too, but we've never had a problem. It's usually "My mate's dog walker was chatting to a bloke in the pub who knows this chap who once met a motorhomer . . . . . . "

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Leytonexile Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:10 pm

When I travel to France, I take a late ferry from Dover and overnight at Calais Beach. About €8. Then I'm ready for an early start to my destination. Always use Dover/Calais despite living in Cornwall as this route is cheaper, even allowing for extra fuel, and boats sail every 90 minutes.
Leytonexile
Leytonexile

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:24 pm

The Black Horse Farm does still have a specified area for those crossing, we're booked onto it. You just have to mention when you phone to book. It's a Caravan Club site.

We stopped at the Drum Inn last year but it wasn't cheap, I think it was £19 for the pitch plus £1 for a shower and then, of course, you have a drink and eat in the pub so you're probably talking about £60 for one night.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Leytonexile wrote:When I travel to France, I take a late ferry from Dover and overnight at Calais Beach. About €8. Then I'm ready for an early start to my destination. Always use Dover/Calais despite living in Cornwall as this route is cheaper, even allowing for extra fuel, and boats sail every 90 minutes.

I'm almost sure Calais beach aire is closed now.

There's a new one opened nearby at a cost of €8 per night (??) but apparently it's not that nice. There are plenty of nearby alternatives though, so we would always choose to cross in the late afternoon so we wake up in France with the whole day in front of us. It just seems to us like a better way to start the holiday.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:33 pm

Same here Dave, we usually spend our first night within an hour of so of Calais. It takes us 6 or so hours to drive to Dover, and after catching a ferry at 8 or 9pm, I'm usually too tired to drive further.
In recent years we've stopped at the nice aire on the outskirts of Wissant. A nice friendly little town with some good fish restaurants.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by davey Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi 
When we cross we normaly have a late crossing 22.50hrs and we stay at City Europe which is only round the corner and has a large car park there are normaly several motorhomes there we can then make a early start  and best bit not a euro/penny leaves my pocket

Dave allthumbz
davey
davey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down