The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ripoff Britain (but not everybody )

+6
Greyhound
PLOUGHLIN
Gromit
boxerman
Paulmold
johnnyxs
10 posters

Go down

ripoff Britain (but not everybody ) Empty ripoff Britain (but not everybody )

Post by johnnyxs Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:39 am

if its one thing that gets my goat (and believe me there are lots ) its folk deliberately ripping off their fellow man ( Woman, undecided)... 

Heres a prime example . A large 100 sheet kitchen towel roll.
Its currently for sale in your local Co-op for the princely sum of £2.50

Heres an ebay trader that thinks its perfectly acceptable to charge double the price and then whack a hefty £4.00 postage charge on top of that. shrugg

I guess there must be eejits that happily pay that rather than walk down their local co-op ...
Ok thats got that off my chest grrrrrrr dont_mentionIt
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regina-Blitz-All-Purpose-Kitchen-Towels-100-Sheets-per-Roll-/281719551657?hash=item4197cb36a9:g:64MAAOSwNSxVeX-Z

ps. I'm not lumping everybody into this category i was just having a moan as you do from time to time. No offence intended winks

Last edited by johnnyxs on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnnyxs
johnnyxs

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : duetto
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

ripoff Britain (but not everybody ) Empty Re: ripoff Britain (but not everybody )

Post by Paulmold Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 am

Rip off Britain hasn't reached Anglesey. Last week in Treaddur Bay, pot of tea for two (pot gave 5 cups) £2.10.    Ice Cream from van on beach, proper ice cream in sugar cone, not Mr Whippy style, £1.50. (Mr Whippy was available for £1.30).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

ripoff Britain (but not everybody ) Empty Re: ripoff Britain (but not everybody )

Post by boxerman Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:46 am

Why the heading ripoff Britain? it's not this country or it's government who are trying to flog you overpriced kitchen rolls!
Rip off Ebay Traders would be a more appropriate title, don't you think?
I get somewhat brassed of by the people who throw this 'rip off Britain' term around.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:55 am

First find your mug - then you can sell him anything!! snigger

I don't let it bother me, but I have been known to walk out of pubs and leave the drinks on the bar. Last time was on holiday in Cornwall a few weeks ago. £4.70 for a pint of driving beer, plus £3.50 for Mrs Gromit's lime and soda.

The youth behind the bar protested that he didn't set the prices. I said I quite understood, but I don't pay those prices - specially when there was no price list anywhere.

People must be daft to pay that much, or too embarrassed to walk out. shrugg

Dave

P.S. A quaint little pub just down the road charged £3.20 for a pint and £1.00 for the lime and soda. Not surprisingly it was fairly full!

P.P.S. Just saw your post Frank, and have to agree in principle, but it's more of a general descriptive term than one which points a finger at any particular ripper-off. That's how I read it anyway. smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:00 pm

Could say rip off Co-op. Available from Morrison's for £1.50.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyxs Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:33 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Could say rip off Co-op. Available from Morrison's for £1.50.
Not so !... winks
that is for the 70 sheet roll not the 100 sheet roll I was discussing but it is nevertheless a good price up!

To Boxerman
Why the heading ripoff Britain? it's not this country or it's government who are trying to flog you overpriced kitchen rolls!

I get somewhat brassed of by the people who throw this 'rip off Britain' term around.

Frank
sorry Frank for brassing you off. You must have a low brassing tolerance hugegrins

I cannot speak for people selling stuff in other Countries so I limited my opinion to the Country that I know something about
hence ripoff Britain because in my  experience there is a lot of folk ripping off the rest of us. hugegrins
johnnyxs
johnnyxs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Gromit wrote:
P.P.S. Just saw your post Frank, and have to agree in principle, but it's more of a general descriptive term than one which points a finger at any particular ripper-off. That's how I read it anyway. smile!

That's not the way I read it and I get sick to the teeth of people trotting out this phrase. I think that this is a great country to live in, and I think most other people who live here agree but it isn't fashionable to say so. There are always whingers of course, and that what they are - whingers.
As for generalisations, I've never ripped anyone off in my life, nor would I ever try to. Neither, to the best of my knowledge would any of my friends. We are British, so why should we be lumped into the pot with the mountebanks? Would you rip people off?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyxs Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Gromit wrote:

People must be daft to pay that much, or too embarrassed to walk out. shrugg

Dave

I think you hit the nail on the head there Dave.
I have oon occasion ended up buying stuff at the counter because I was too embarrassed to say that it was too expensive.
I got caught out with a box of unpriced Christmas crackers one Christmas.

The chap at the till said that will be £24.00 please quick_run
 Wot !..... said I ...jaw dropping to the floor . 'thats ridiculous' I heard myself say... as someone in the queue behind me whispered 'scrooge'
I felt my face go red as I paid for my groceries and left sharpish leaving this huge box of crackers with the man at the till.
johnnyxs
johnnyxs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:52 pm

johnnyxs wrote:I cannot speak for people selling stuff in other Countries so I limited my opinion to the Country that I know something about
hence ripoff Britain because in my  experience there is a lot of folk ripping off the rest of us. hugegrins

And there are many, many more good, honest people who would never cheat anyone.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyxs Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:04 pm

boxerman wrote:
johnnyxs wrote:I cannot speak for people selling stuff in other Countries so I limited my opinion to the Country that I know something about

And there are many, many more good, honest people who would never cheat anyone.

Frank
nobody said there wasn't Frank winks   blimey....and I thought I was grumpy this morning hugegrins
johnnyxs
johnnyxs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyxs Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Paulmold wrote:Rip off Britain hasn't reached Anglesey. Last week in Treaddur Bay, pot of tea for two (pot gave 5 cups) £2.10.    Ice Cream from van on beach, proper ice cream in sugar cone, not Mr Whippy style, £1.50. (Mr Whippy was available for £1.30).
Paul sounds like you are/were having a great time in Anglesey . Sounds just like my kinda place .
We have family in Snowdonia so I think I'll do a bit of research on Anglesey and see if we can't sneak a few days there later in the Autumn.
johnnyxs
johnnyxs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:42 pm

Gromit wrote:specially when there was no price list anywhere.

They have to display prices by law don't they (or I'm sure they used to)?
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:55 pm

That's what I thought Noggin, and I did look around as I always do in a popular holiday resort area where a bit of ripping off is fairly common.

I don't mind up to a point as some businesses have to make all their year's profit during the main tourist season. Some businesses in places like Devon and Cornwall, campsites for instance, may well go bust if they didn't charge fairly high prices. Then there would be fewer sites for us to enjoy, so one has to accept higher prices - but there are limits!

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:32 pm

johnnyxs wrote:
Not so !... winks
that is for the 70 sheet roll not the 100 sheet roll I was discussing but it is nevertheless a good price up!

No, 100 sheets. https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Regina-Blitz-All-Purpose-Kitchen-Towel/117167011?from=search&tags&param=Regina+Blitz+All+Purpose+Kitchen+Towels&parentContainer=SEARCHregina+blitz+al_SHELFVIEW

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyxs Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:46 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
johnnyxs wrote:
Not so !... winks

No, 100 sheets. https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Regina-Blitz-All-Purpose-Kitchen-Towel/117167011?from=search&tags&param=Regina+Blitz+All+Purpose+Kitchen+Towels&parentContainer=SEARCHregina+blitz+al_SHELFVIEW
apologies i stand corrected. I could only find the double 70 sheet roll offer . Well spotted up!
johnnyxs
johnnyxs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:09 am

Noggin wrote:
Gromit wrote:specially when there was no price list anywhere.

They have to display prices by law don't they (or I'm sure they used to)?

I'm sure they USED to, but either the Law has changed or is not enforced.
The only pubs where I see prices displayed are Weatherspoons.

Hubert
Hubert
Hubert
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:11 pm

boxerman wrote:Why the heading ripoff Britain? it's not this country or it's government who are trying to flog you overpriced kitchen rolls!

Frank

While I have the greatest respect for your point of view and agree with most of your posts, I have to disagree with this one.
We recently spent some time in Dorset and were charged £97 for 3 nights on a ccc site, it doesn't cost any more to run in the summer than it does at any other time of year surely.
It's got to be better for business if the price was evened out across the season.
That aside, annoying though it was, it's not the reason that I disagreed with you. While we were away we had a couple of problems crop up.
The first was the brake fluid level light coming on when we pulled up on site. A quick look underneath revealed the offside rear wheel being soaked in brake fluid, the brake cylinder had gone when we were not far from the site.
Whilst under there I noticed that the rear exhaust bracket had almost broken out of the pipe and needed a complete rear section and silencer replacing ASAP.
There was a garage not far from the site so we took a walk to see if they could help. Ohhh they could help alright.
They could get the parts there for the weekend (4 days) and could squeeze us in for a reasonable cost of £550 +VAT.
You see, they thought I was at their mercy, I drive a motorhome so don't know anything about vehicle maintenance.
If it had been £300 all in I'd have had it done to save me the hassle.
When questioned on price they said the parts were expensive and it was going to cost more to have them expedited.
On top of that, it was a 2 man job to change the exhaust and 3 men to do the brakes and the whole job would take the best part of a day and frankly they were doing me a favour at that price.
Even at £60/hour it should have been no more than £250
I made one phone call, one, the parts were delivered to my house the following day free of charge. Exhaust and 2 brake cylinders not just 1 for £75.
I tied up the exhaust just to be sure and topped up the brake fluid, after a few checks to make sure the leak wasn't serious I drove the 120 miles home.
Got home at lunch time, 3 hours later the work is done, by 1 person BTW, and I'm on my way back to Dorset.
If that is not trying to rip someone off I don't know what is.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:07 pm

While I fully agree that both the C&CC and that garage are rip - off merchants I still stand by what I said. These people are in the minority. If it was the norm, you would accept it as being the norm rather than [rightfully in your case] complaining about it on here.

The vast majority of people as as honest as the day is long, but they go unnoticed, like good drivers - you only notice the bad ones.

Glad you got the van fixed without being fleeced up!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Sheepishly owns up to being a Rip Off ebay supplier.  Whistle1 :Whistle1:Some years ago a then new poundshop selling then bankrupt stock had a shelf full of Turtlewax marine polish/restorer.. Untill I went to the bank got 50 quid out and bought the lot, and did same when restocked next day.  snigger But I knew that local chandlery sold same stuff for 17quid a can as did most marine places. So I became an ebay trader and ripped people off for a tenner plus postage a can.  winks winks How else do you think I made my millions.. Now I blame being a fan of only fools and horses as the cause of my addiction to buying and selling things. But then I did only deal in good stuff at a fair price, cheaper than rip off suppliers of boating equipment.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins Be daft not to really.. Iv'e given it all up now really but hands up to being a rip off ebayer in my time.  lol4
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyxs Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:12 pm

right ..... thats you removed you from my Chrismas card list hugegrins

Last month my shed roof sprung a leak and having no time to fix it I bought a large heavy duty tarpaulin from an ebay trader for £21.

When it finally arrived two weeks later I found it was a cheap thin tarp and the suppliers had slipped their advice note inside the packing.
The artful ebay reader had advertised a HD tarp then ordered it from another Company selling cheap tarps for £2.50 each !

I was pleased to see that he was no longer trading this week .
johnnyxs
johnnyxs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:35 pm

Reminds me of the time I went to Aldi for a 4 pint pack of milk, I walked past the reduced items aisle and spotted the remaining stock of Castrol GTX 10/40 engine oil had been knocked down from £5 to £2 a litre! I bought the entire stock, about 30 litres. Not for resale though, I run 5 motorbikes... Don't you just love a bargain.. I forgot the milk.
Al
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:52 am

m8form8 wrote:Sheepishly owns up to being a Rip Off ebay supplier.  Whistle1 :Whistle1:Some years ago a then new poundshop selling then bankrupt stock had a shelf full of Turtlewax marine polish/restorer.. Untill I went to the bank got 50 quid out and bought the lot, and did same when restocked next day.  snigger But I knew that local chandlery sold same stuff for 17quid a can as did most marine places. So I became an ebay trader and ripped people off for a tenner plus postage a can.  winks winks How else do you think I made my millions.. Now I blame being a fan of only fools and horses as the cause of my addiction to buying and selling things. But then I did only deal in good stuff at a fair price, cheaper than rip off suppliers of boating equipment.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins Be daft not to really.. Iv'e given it all up now really but hands up to being a rip off ebayer in my time.  lol4
ACTUALLY WISH I HAD NOT SOLD SO MUCH, ran out this year and have you seen the price of boat cleaner polish these days add to that its not as good as that stuff was either.  scratch head scratch head scratch head
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:36 am

m8form8 wrote: But I knew that local chandlery sold same stuff for 17quid a can as did most marine places. So I became an ebay trader and ripped people off for a tenner plus postage a can. 

Sorry! don't see how you were ripping people off by selling the same stuff for a lot less than other suppliers, even though you were making a vast profit on it. shrugg

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyxs Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:34 am

boxerman wrote:
m8form8 wrote: But I knew that local chandlery sold same stuff for 17quid a can as did most marine places. So I became an ebay trader and ripped people off for a tenner plus postage a can. 

Sorry! don't see how you were ripping people off by selling the same stuff for a lot less than other suppliers, even though you were making a vast profit on it. shrugg

Frank
usually with these offers buyers are limited to small purchases so that they don't try to sell them on  at inflated prices.
If the sellers intention is to sell cheap to the end consumer they should either limit individual sales or state 'not for resale'
Otherwise I guess any entrepreneur would and should seize the opportunity to do some business.

However that said they will be reselling goods as 'brand new' when they are not and selling without having any indemnity insurance to protect the consumer or any bproduct support or warrantee so in that respect they would be ripping people off.

If they are sold without warrantee as NOS new old stock then fair enough ....buyer beware. smile!
johnnyxs
johnnyxs

Male

Back to top Go down