The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympics

+15
paul bullock
Bad Penny
TrickyWoo
PLOUGHLIN
Paul 300358
Traficlady
Cymro
daisy mae
groundhog
NORGIL
Bobskate
Dutto
rose49f
Gromit
bristol170kj
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Olympics Empty Olympics

Post by bristol170kj Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:29 pm

As someone who has no interest what-so-ever in anything Olympic related I am thoroughly fed up with the BBC's coverage.  Even the news is full of reports from Rio. 

Also, the money the government and the lottery spends on these athletes could be much better spent on hospitals/doctors/dementia care etc etc.
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Olympics Empty Re: Olympics

Post by Gromit Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Well, that certainly counts as grumpy!! lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 pm

Sorry but I love the Olympics. It could save the NHS money as the kids today who watch it will do their upmost to find a sport they love and get fit. I understand your frustration at the BBC coverage of it but surely there are enough channels on the tele today for you to watch something else. Or you could read a good book!!!!!    peace
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:47 pm

rose49f wrote:Sorry but I love the Olympics. It could save the NHS money as the kids today who watch it will do their upmost to find a sport they love and get fit. I understand your frustration at the BBC coverage of it but surely there are enough channels on the tele today for you to watch something else. Or you could read a good book!!!!!    peace
up!   up!   up!   up!

I find it compulsive viewing and with the Paralympics just round the corner ...

"The best is yet to come!"
up!   up!   up!

drinksallround
Dutto

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 pm

I rarely watch TV when away in the van....but the Cycling is so exciting. I'm watching now sitting on the edge of my seat. It's only two weeks every four years after all.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 pm

I am with the OP bristol,

I have no objection to people who want to run and jump around or chase a ball about but I don't see why I should subsidize them in any way.

The same goes for the Government and Councils subsidizing Opera and the arts. If opera costs £200 a seat to produce then that's what the people who want to watch it should pay. If there is not enough people willing to pay the money then tough. Opera's a bit like a trying to sell a new Morris Marina in a showroom full of Merc's at the same price.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:45 pm

I have really enjoyed the Oilypics, what I don't get though is celebrating losing... We don't celebrate when our esteemed football and cricket team come second scratch head

Shame about the Russian Paralympic squad ban for using  an illegal substance. Apparently it was WD40. biggrin
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Well what a grumpy few on here, I cannot do sports now, but admire those that do and the effect required and the honour of representing our country, we should be proud of them especially the Paralympics. it is only every four years, what about all the football that is on through the year, and interrupting the programmes I like to watch.  

I don`t watch a lot of telly, just selective what I do watch, I like reading, crafting etc, if you don`t like it switch over plenty of other channels, or even better switch off and take up a sport. lol4

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Good analysis in today's Independent by Janet Street-Porter.

"It’s been estimated that each medal in Rio has cost £5.5m of public funding. There are some tough questions to be asked about whether financial priorities should be re-aligned to focus on the many, rather than the few."

"The discrepancy between the impressive achievements by Team GB and a lack of motivation in the population at large is increasing. The number of adults playing any sport has dropped since 2012. In the poorest areas like Yorkshire and Humber, 67,000 fewer people are involved in sport. In Doncaster the decline is over 13 per cent, whereas in well-heeled Oxford, it’s up 14 per cent."

Have a look at the article:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/rio-2016-team-gb-olympic-medals-55m-each-can-we-justify-brits-slump-sofa-a7198906.html

It made me think. The money spent on nurturing the elite isn't doing anything much for the health of the public.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Hadn`t better put what I think of that, would get chucked off the site.You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. meaning general public.

Who are the elite? not the sportsmen / women most have to pay their own way.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:37 pm

daisy mae wrote:Who are the elite? not the sportsmen / women most have to pay their own way.
Yes indeed.

I competed at World level twice and at European three times. I received not one penny, nor any assistance of any kind, even having to pay my own travel and accommodation expenses.

I came 9th in the world, which would have made me very wealthy if it was golf for example. But it wasn't, and I had to give up competing because it was costing too much money and family time.

Do I regret it - no, of course not.

Am I bitter - yes, I confess I am a bit when I see footballers and many others earning a fortune, just because their sport is telegenic (is that a word?) and popular among the masses.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:42 pm

YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE IT THERE GROMIT! 

My guess is....?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:49 pm

I bet you are wrong Hog - but have a go.

As much beer as you can drink it you get it right.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Gromit wrote:
daisy mae wrote:Who are the elite? not the sportsmen / women most have to pay their own way.
Yes indeed.

I competed at World level twice and at European three times. I received not one penny, nor any assistance of any kind, even having to pay my own travel and accommodation expenses.

I came 9th in the world, which would have made me very wealthy if it was golf for example. But it wasn't, and I had to give up competing because it was costing too much money and family time.

Do I regret it - no, of course not.

Am I bitter - yes, I confess I am a bit when I see footballers and many others earning a fortune, just because their sport is telegenic (is that a word?) and popular among the masses.

Dave smile!

Well done Dave I take my hat off to you, apart from the financial side of it the training effort and time involved must have been tremendous.  Footballers get far too much money in my opinion, sportsmanship seems to have flown out of the window as soon as big money became involved. When I was young and went to football matches with my Father, the footballers had another job as they didn`t get paid that much. now it has gone beyond the ridiculous.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:00 pm

What really rankled was when the French initially refused to go to the second World Championships I competed in . . . because they were not going to be given their usual €200 spending money! This on top of all expenses paid, preferential and private training facilities at no expense to themselves plus all travelling expenses, and expensive custom tuned equipment - again at no expense.

It cost them nothing to train or attend, but they threw a strop when their pocket money was stopped. Needless to say the authorities backed down and they got their spending money, but it did hurt at the time.

Dave smile!

P.S. Any guesses Hog? hugegrins
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:01 pm

As much beer as I can drink, that isn't going to cost you much........let me sleep on it scratch head
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:12 pm

I'll give you a clue.

The "equipment" I used was made in about 1840.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm with the OP on this too. OK, there are hundreds of channels available but I'm afraid most of them don't show stuff we want to watch, far too many so-called reality programmes, American cop shows and their totally rubbish humour, our totally rubbish humour. We could watch DVDs but we pay for TV, the least they could do is show something worth watching.

Yes, it's only every 4 years so why can't they put it on a lesser channel? 

And why are they still showing EastEnders but can't show other regular programmes?

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:25 pm

Tiddly winks, fishing or bowls?
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:28 pm

Not even close.

I'm off to bed now. Good night all - my Horlicks is ready! coffee_drink

Dave hugegrins
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:36 pm

Gromit wrote:I'll give you a clue.

Dave smile!

Muzzle Loading Shooting?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:46 pm

Archery?

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by TrickyWoo Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:37 am

Chess? Backgammon? Carriage/coach driving (as in horse-drawn)? Town crying?

I've got a dragon & I'm not afraid to use it!
TrickyWoo

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:30 am

Lets examine the evidence

Since I do not know whether you have the build of Geoff Capes or Willie Carson the starting point is not too good. The French team were paid in Euros so you must have competed after 2000 at which time you would have been in your 50's.

Expensive equipment is involved that can be tuned so we can rule out boxing, wrestling and contact sports and sports that involve inanimate objects like bowls, javelin etc and anything that doesn't involve the use of equipment. It has to be something that 1840's equipment can compete with more modern unless the competition is something relevant to the age.

I am not sure you have lumberjack related sports in the UK and Lady G's suggestion of cheese rolling -1840 the cheese would have rolled itself!

Crossbow or target reated is possible but like TrickyWoo I think I will go for some form of carriage driving although the horse itself would probably not date from 1840.

If I am wrong I undertake to leave the Country on Thursday..... If I am right I undertake to leave the Country on Thursday.... allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:38 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
Gromit wrote:I'll give you a clue.
Dave smile!
Muzzle Loading Shooting?

Well done Peter.

Specifically pistol shooting, using my favourite circa 1840 duelling pistol.

I have enormous respect for "real" athletes who go to the Olympics (or any high level events) but I was never one of them. I didn't have the drive or dedication to give up my life for four years with only hope to keep me going.

To me, black powder target shooting was an absorbing and very enjoyable hobby, and I just happened to be good at it. I had to practice a lot of course, but much of it was possible in the back garden with an air pistol so it wasn't exactly life consuming. Some of the Olympic hopefuls get up every day of the year at 4.00am, summer and winter for outdoor training, or travel many miles to practice several times per week - they are the ones who deserve the respect. And they don't get any financial support from lottery or other sources until they have already dragged themselves nearly to the top at their own effort and expense.

It annoys me when TV presenters comment on how hard the winners have trained for the past four years and have now been rewarded with a medal - as if the losers were there just for the ride!! ALL of the competitors have trained just as hard, PLUS loads of others who didn't get selected at the last minute. They all deserve the same respect, particularly poor devils like Tom Daley who had to suffer so much media attention and expectation, which must have had an influence. Without all the "also rans" there wouldn't be any winners!!

They are a breed apart from we ordinary mortals.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: