The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interest Rates

+11
daisy mae
SteveUK
mikethebike
crisp
Sue68
Charliefarlie
Gromit
pablo
Dutto
groundhog
bristol170kj
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Interest Rates Empty Interest Rates

Post by bristol170kj Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:33 am

Not so long ago I got a letter from my bank saying that the interest rate on my ISA was to be reduced.

Today I received a letter saying that my credit card interest rate is going up.  It is now an unbelievable 17.435%.

Not that it matters as I always pay off the balance!  But for goodness sake they want to change me for using their money but don't want to give me a decent interest rate to use MY MONEY.

GGGGRRRRRRR
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Interest Rates Empty Re: Interest Rates

Post by groundhog Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:06 am

Santander 123 aside you really have to play the game to get ANY interest these days, trouble is it gets so complicated moving cash around it is becoming a full time job! What chance the Government will re introduce the pensioner bonds again?

Now important things, what is your connection to the Bristol Freighter, I used to do the loadsheets for those back in the days of Silver City and BUAF ( yes I am that old!!)
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:57 am

Hi there,

Dealing with banks is like juggling rats ... shrugg shrugg

... it's not easy to do and you can get bitten!!  tap_fingers tap_fingers

When I took over my Mum's finances I was glad to discovered that her bank savings were lodged in a "Super Saver" account BUT ...

... less glad to discover that the original 5% interest had been reduced to 0.01% (No kidding, the decimal point IS in the right place.)

My Mum (an ex-Skegness Landlady; ladies noted for their ferocious control of money matters) was aged 95 at that time so I queried the interest rate with the bank.

They assured me that they had not only "informed" my Mum of the fall in interest rates, they had "encouraged" her to move her savings to a different account.

I finally tracked down the "information" and "encouragement" when I discovered the announcement on Page 24 of a 30+ page document that they had posted to my Mum in March the year before.

After +20 pages where they advertised all of the bank's various accounts the booklet explained that the interest rate on the "Super Saver" account was to be reduced to 0.01% from April 1st that year!

This little move by the bank meant that my Mum's income from her savings slumped from £1,750 a year to £3.50; and unless they had read the booklet and responded, it would have taken ALL of the bank's customers a year to discover the fact.

I would sooner trust a rabid dog than a bank. tap_fingers tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:58 am

groundhog wrote:Santander 123 aside you really have to play the game to get ANY interest these days, trouble is it gets so complicated moving cash around it is becoming a full time job! What chance the Government will re introduce the pensioner bonds again?

Now important things, what is your connection to the Bristol Freighter, I used to do the loadsheets for those back in the days of Silver City and BUAF ( yes I am that old!!)
dr

It was the aircraft I first flew on at the age of about 12.  Silver city from lydd.  You may remember by dads car ... "should have read" - a Ford Prefect Van loaded with Camping gear as we departed for Spain (c) 1962.

Last edited by bristol170kj on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pablo Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Remember banks lend money to you as well as borrow it from you and its not all bad news on interest rates. My daughter has just fixed her mortgage for the next 5 years at 2.6%. Amazing rate! All of us old guys when we had mortgages would never in our wildest dreams have got a rate this low. It usually was anywhere between 8% and 13%. up!
pablo
pablo

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 pm

Dutto wrote:  . . . the interest rate on the "Super Saver" account was to be reduced to 0.01% from April 1st that year!
If you ever need an example of a contradiction in terms Ian, you will be hard pressed to find a better one!! scratch head

If that's the revenue from a Super Saver account, what do they give for an "Ordinary Saver" account?? think_smiley_46

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Maybe everything that pays less than inflation should be called a "Super Loser" account?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Interest rates are disgusting for savers.. Absolutely mad. Like others here we paid dearly when we had a mortgage now as savers we get shafted. Interest rates do not keep up with inflation . This means our money is worth less at the end of a year than at the beginning. 

The OP has a hugely valid point. We get sod all but the borrower pays though the nose. 

There should some parity. Savers should get a reward for providing the banks with the money they lend out ................

What puzzles me though is in previous recessionary times say 1993 for instance interest rates were circa 15%. From the beginning of this last one and up to date they are at an all time low........ Mad.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Charliefarlie wrote:Interest rates are disgusting for savers.. Absolutely mad. Like others here we paid dearly when we had a mortgage now as savers we get shafted. Interest rates do not keep up with inflation . This means our money is worth less at the end of a year than at the beginning. 

The OP has a hugely valid point. We get sod all but the borrower pays though the nose. 

There should some parity. Savers should get a reward for providing the banks with the money they lend out ................

What puzzles me though is in previous recessionary times say 1993 for instance interest rates were circa 15%. From the beginning of this last one and up to date they are at an all time low........ Mad.

Mad? I think the banks call it "shafting the customers"

A more realistic rate for savers would be around 1.5% - 2.0%.  But the banks have to make money somehow and it's easy to give zero to savers!
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:36 pm

The compensation for misselling has to come from somewhere
Sue68

Female

Member Age : 101
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:46 pm

Gromit wrote:
Dutto wrote:  . . . the interest rate on the "Super Saver" account was to be reduced to 0.01% from April 1st that year!
If you ever need an example of a contradiction in terms Ian, you will be hard pressed to find a better one!! scratch head

If that's the revenue from a Super Saver account, what do they give for an "Ordinary Saver" account?? think_smiley_46

Dave
Hi there,

That was the whole essence of the con!!

The Bank called it "Super Saver" when the account was introduced sometime around 1985 as a "variable interest" Savings Account; and paid a pretty good rate on an annual basis.

In 2007 the bank very cunningly informed the Account Holders one month before the end of the 2007 financial year that the "Super Saver" accounts would be frozen at the end of the financial year and the interest rate dropped to 0.01%.  They did this by sending them a finely printed 30 page booklet that advertised all the Bank's Account details along with all the interest rates, terms and conditions etc etc.

The "Super Saver" changes were printed towards the back of the Booklet along with a suggestion that other savings accounts could (?) provide a better interest rate.  Obviously, the Account Holder had to read virtually the whole of the Booklet to discover this fact.

In my Mum's case, because she hadn't bothered to read the Booklet, the situation didn't manifest itself until the annual payment of interest occurred a year later in April 2008 and instead of seeing the +/-£1,750 I had expected, the bank paid in £3.50 as interest on her £35,000 savings.

I had words with the bank but they were adamant that my Mum had been "informed" by the Booklet and "encouraged" to reinvest her money.

I have a word for them but it comes up as "inappropriate" on the Forum; no matter how appropriate it is on this occasion!

Do the banks see people as "Loyal customers"?  I doubt it.  Maybe "Milch Cows" would be a better description. tap_fingers tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS

It's not just banks that have the "Milch Cow" attitude.  It has also spread to insurance companies, utility companies etc etc etc. shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:02 pm

I think you are missing the point. Banks have to keep on paying very high salaries because if they didn't they wouldn't get the best staff. So if it means I get nothing on my savings then I just need to rejoice that they can have their glasses of bubbly after all its a very hard job they do, sometimes they even work overtime so that they can clear a cheque in just three days. Boy how they must suffer.
Just imagine if we had the second best staff they could pay us interest and still make money, but where's the incentive for that. Grumpy you bet.
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:16 pm

its the same the whole world over..........................

Can you remember the privatisation of the utilities?

They had to pay a fortune to get good staff.

rant over.
Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:58 pm

They didn't pay me a fortune when I worked for a bank :-(
Sue68

Female

Member Age : 101
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:27 am

Hi Sue.   I am sure you know its not the soldiers we are talking about. hugegrins
Its those on salaries higher than the PM.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:11 pm

If you have the Santander 123 account you MAY have a little disappointment soon, rumour has it the 3% interest is for trimming in the not too distant future! so_sad
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Its to be expected.
Just lost my Halifax monthly payment from September.

Until interest rates rise ,maybe a few years away,this will continue.
Maybe like Lloyds closures, it will be blamed on Brexit.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:21 pm

Don't forget the Tesco bank current account.  3% interest (at the moment) on balances up to £3,000 with no need to credit a certain amount to the account each month, or to have any direct debits set up.  Not a lot perhaps, but better than nowt!  I understand that you can open two accounts, but haven't progressed that yet.
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:58 am

SteveUK wrote:Don't forget the Tesco bank current account.  3% interest (at the moment) on balances up to £3,000 with no need to credit a certain amount to the account each month, or to have any direct debits set up.  Not a lot perhaps, but better than nowt!  I understand that you can open two accounts, but haven't progressed that yet.

I bet that changes after today's reduction of the BoE rate from 0.5% to 0.25%! tap_fingers tap_fingers tap_fingers

The Debtors will probably be dancing in the streets ... look here look here

... whilst the Savers amongst us just sit shaking our heads and wondering why we bothered! shrugg   shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:03 am

mikethebike wrote:Its to be expected.
Just lost my Halifax monthly payment from September.

Until interest rates rise ,maybe a few years away,this will continue.
Maybe like Lloyds closures, it will be blamed on Brexit.

Micky
It makes a change to blame it on Brexit because they have been blaming everything on the EU for the last ten years at least!  tap_fingers   tap_fingers

Don't expect any of our political or financial masters to accept that they may be responsible for anything negative that happens in the UK! think_smiley_46 think_smiley_46

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:30 am

Welcome back Ian, you have been missed, hope you had a good trip?. 
Regards,
Margaret

goneoff

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:46 pm

daisy mae wrote:Welcome back Ian, you have been missed, hope you had a good trip?. 
Regards,
Margaret

goneoff
Many thanks.

Great year all round ... allthumbz allthumbz

... and we sail for France again on the 7th September for +/- 12 weeks.  Tough life but we keep going! Whistle1 Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:05 pm

Dutto wrote:
daisy mae wrote:Welcome back Ian, you have been missed, hope you had a good trip?. 
Regards,
Margaret

goneoff
Many thanks.

Great year all round ... allthumbz allthumbz

... and we sail for France again on the 7th September for +/- 12 weeks.  Tough life but we keep going! Whistle1 Whistle1

Somebody has to I suppose.  Let me know when it's my turn!
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Talking of going abroad for 12 weeks plus, did you know if your house is unoccupied for that minimum length of time you can apply for 3 months (or multiples thereof) rebate on your TV licence! I claimed it last year, wish I'd known about it on previous years.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:37 pm

bikeralw wrote:Talking of going abroad for 12 weeks plus, did you know if your house is unoccupied for that minimum length of time you can apply for 3 months (or multiples thereof) rebate on your TV licence! I claimed it last year, wish I'd known about it on previous years.
Al.
Aaaaargh!!!!  No!!  Of course I didn't know!!

So please let me know who I claim my refund from and whether I do it before or after leaving the UK.

Many thanks.
drinksallround
Dutto

PS

When I first met SWMBO I lived in a tiny cottage down a remote Scottish Glen and hadn't bought a TV licence for the best part of seven years.

Imagine my surprise when, bursting with pride, SWMBO came into the cottage and gave me a brand new TV as a birthday present.

Unfortunately, my first reaction wasn't "Thank-you darling, that's wonderful." but "I hope you didn't give them my address!

Of course, that was exactly what she had done ... tap_fingers tap_fingers

... and we received the threatening letter from TV Licensing two days later ... tap_fingers  tap_fingers

... and I have made SWMBO pay for our TV licence out of her money ever since! hugegrins  hugegrins

Come to think of it, I wonder if I dare claim the refund for the 12 weeks away from home and not bother telling her?  Whistle1 Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next