The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin Sat Nav points of interest

4 posters

Go down

Garmin Sat Nav points of interest Empty Garmin Sat Nav points of interest

Post by Paulmold Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Earlier this year I treated myself to a new Garmin Sat Nav for the car but obviously usable in van except I can't enter dimensions. 
Everything about it is better than my old one which must have been 10/12 years old and didn't have map updates like the new one.
The one strange thing is , it marks lots of eating places on it with a knife and fork symbol which is fine and it also marks toilets with a male and female symbol but strangely it puts this symbol on virtually every layby. Now the way this country's population behaved recently with regard to litter, is my Sat Nav way ahead of its time with marking toilets in lay-bys?
Anyone elses Sat Nav have this feature?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Garmin Sat Nav points of interest Empty Re: Garmin Sat Nav points of interest

Post by rgermain Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Try using it in France, every hedge/layby/service carpark etc,  would show a toilet hugegrins hugegrins
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:59 am

We tend to have stuff like eating places turned off.    Must admit we use an ordinary Garmin in the van in preference to one with motorhome settings.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:29 am

Yes they can clutter things up a bit.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:43 am

roli wrote:We tend to have stuff like eating places turned off.    Must admit we use an ordinary Garmin in the van in preference to one with motorhome settings.

For a few years after buying my Garmin for motorhomes, it kept sending me down very minor routes notwithstanding that I'd put in the dimensions of the Nuevo ES (which is 10'1" hight). And last year I experimented as suggested on the Forum. I set the height to 11'0", but set the length to a ridiculous 44'0" and width to something equally huge. 

To my surprise, the Garmin became a different device: it assumed I was a HGV and no longer takes me down daft lanes; it also displays all sorts of warnings which didn't appear when it was set to something smaller - such as tight curve ahead / crosswind / road narrows etc etc. They are in fact really useful. The only drawback is that as I'm now a great big articulated truck, the maximum speed limit is 60mph, so it tends to bong a lot!

Assuming that your software is up-to-date, you might like to experiment with setting the profile of your vehicle - unless of course you've already done so recently.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 am

Cymro wrote:
roli wrote:We tend to have stuff like eating places turned off.    Must admit we use an ordinary Garmin in the van in preference to one with motorhome settings.

For a few years after buying my Garmin for motorhomes, it kept sending me down very minor routes notwithstanding that I'd put in the dimensions of the Nuevo ES (which is 10'1" hight). And last year I experimented as suggested on the Forum. I set the height to 11'0", but set the length to a ridiculous 44'0" and width to something equally huge. 

To my surprise, the Garmin became a different device: it assumed I was a HGV and no longer takes me down daft lanes; it also displays all sorts of warnings which didn't appear when it was set to something smaller - such as tight curve ahead / crosswind / road narrows etc etc. They are in fact really useful. The only drawback is that as I'm now a great big articulated truck, the maximum speed limit is 60mph, so it tends to bong a lot!

Assuming that your software is up-to-date, you might like to experiment with setting the profile of your vehicle - unless of course you've already done so recently.

Cymro
Now that's a good idea, will give it a go when I go somewhere I don't know how to get there.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:05 am

I have a camper Sat Nav for the van into which I put dimensions, obviously it's a lorry sat nav really with campsites added. I did enter slightly larger dimensions than the van actually is but still it takes us down rather narrow roads and in places like SW Wales the lanes can be a problem with few passing places. I wonder at what dimensions does it become more useful as in Cymro's post?
My cousin once had a lorry sat nav that because of the dimensions he entered , wouldn't take him into towns but simply took him round and around the perimeter roads.
My camper Sat Nav does not have free map updates , is it worth paying £50 for updated maps, do roads change in such major ways to make it worthwhile?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down