The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe

+5
Pete Taylor
johndean
Peter Brown
padraigpost
Dun Cruising
9 posters

Go down

Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe Empty Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe

Post by Dun Cruising Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:56 am

Good morning everyone - this is my first post so I am hoping that I get it right.

our insurance company needs to know the name of the alarm and immobiliser fitted to our Mercedes Winchcombe, I have 28 days to reply supplying this information or to have them fitted, I know we have an alarm because we keep setting it off and I know the immobiliser is connected with the key, however, they need the name.  Can anyone help? 

scratch head
Dun Cruising
Dun Cruising

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe Empty Re: Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe

Post by padraigpost Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:20 am

I do not know the name of it as it is a standard Mercedes fitting, but my insurance company (Safeguard) would not accept it as it is not a Thatcham category 1 alarm, I fitted a Stikeback alarm to satisfy them on my Mercedes based Bourton.
Don

Last edited by padraigpost on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton

Back to top Go down

Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe Empty Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe

Post by Dun Cruising Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:11 am

padraigpost wrote:I do not know the name of it as it is a standard Merceder fitting but my insurance company (Safeguard) would not accept it as it is not a Thatcham category 1 alarm, I fitted a Stikeback alarm to satisfy them on my Mercedes based Bourton.
Don
Hi Don

Thanks so much for your very fast response!

Was that difficult to fit?  Could a geriatric lady do it or do I need a technically minded person?

Angela
Dun Cruising
Dun Cruising

Female

Back to top Go down

Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe Empty Re: Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe

Post by Peter Brown Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:15 am

Whenever asked that question by an insurance company (currently Caravan Club) I answer "whatever the manufacturer (currently Mercedes) fitted as standard" and that has been accepted.

It does seem that some insurance companies insist that an additional system is installed - I would find another insurer.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:18 am

No it has to be fitted by  vanbitz or one of their agents, it is a 4/5 hour job to fit.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton

Back to top Go down

Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe Empty Alarm and Safegaurd

Post by johndean Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:46 am

Hi,
I purchased a New Nuevo in August only to. Find no alarm,  Safegaurd insisted I fix one within 30 days they wrote 2 times asking for the name of the alarm during the 30 days. On the 21st day MotorMods of Cheltenham fitted a correct alarm in 2.5 hours all singing dancing Autowatch approx £400.
I rang Safegaurd and all they wanted to know was the name of the alarm,
When I asked what discount they couldnt tell me the amount off my premium , seems strange to me, will wait for renewal and ask again.
John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : !2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:47 pm

CaravanGuard were happy with the Mercedes standard-fit alarm/immobilser but did insist on a tracker being fitted. I wonder why there is such a difference between companies fishing in the same (fairly small) pond?

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dun Cruising Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:14 am

johndean wrote:Hi,
I purchased a New Nuevo in August only to. Find no alarm,  Safegaurd insisted I fix one within 30 days they wrote 2 times asking for the name of the alarm during the 30 days. On the 21st day MotorMods of Cheltenham fitted a correct alarm in 2.5 hours all singing dancing Autowatch approx £400.
I rang Safegaurd and all they wanted to know was the name of the alarm,
When I asked what discount they couldnt tell me the amount off my premium , seems strange to me, will wait for renewal and ask again.
John Dean
Thanks John - just had to say I love your picture, we have 2 Wire Fox Terriers and they are total monsters, but we love them, I hope yours is better behaved.  The breed is just wonderful, intelligent, loving, charming, full of fun and deadly to all small game or vermin.  Once again thank you so much for your reply.

Angela
Dun Cruising
Dun Cruising

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi, 100% agree with Peter Brown, we are with the C/C,we were with Safeguard for 13Yrs until we tried to claim for breakdown expenses which they wriggled out of! You really don't know how useful your insurance is until you try and claim!!!!
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Alarm and immobiliser for a Winchcombe Empty Thanks everyone

Post by Dun Cruising Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Thank you everyone here who offered advice and help.  I now have the correct alarm fitted, it cost £425.00 inc VAT to fit alas - at least the Insurance company is happy at last.  We also have a tracker fitted which is endless fun. 

Thank you all again for your interest we truly appreciate your time and efforts on our behalf.

Dun Cruising
allthumbz
Dun Cruising
Dun Cruising

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Wow, well timed thread or what as is a question I am stuck on. I have just phoned Mercedes main dealer who look after mine and they could not tell me what alarm is fitted and insisted it only comes with an immobiliser and the noisy bit must be aftermarket scratch head

Is this a Mercedes fit alarm or do A/S fit one? Seems crazy Mercedes cannot tell me as it looks and works like OE?

Was going to shop around for insurance but as CC accept it as is looks like I will be staying with them as am not paying for another one to be fitted.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:18 pm

My Merc has an aftermarket alarm fitted like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Operates just using the standard MB remote key. AS don't fit as a standard but no doubt would fit when van ordered.

I have found the siren under bonnet, but have yet to find the main controller box.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi Peter and thanks. Is that fitted by Mercedes or at AS do you know? And is it Thatcham class 1?
I suppose AS would have the answer.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:12 pm

John,
I believe you will find (on your Vin decode list for your vehicle) that your vehicle has code FZ5 - Anti-Theft Alarm System fitted at build - I believe the vehicle horn provides the audio. 
As you recall this is the system that drives the 40 second interval to re-lock if don't open either of the cab doors in the meantime and I think it partly satisfies the Thatcham requirements. But of course what the insurance are concerned about is the Hab door which would not be alarmed as delivered by AS. 
Thus the questions that have been asked by insurers. 
For my part I had an alarm system fitted by the dealer which is wired into and compliant with the vehicle CAN system and therefore operates as a complete unit from the fob. It has a separate sounder under the bonnet.  
No problems so far - fingers crossed! 
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:08 am

Jhon, my merc has the FZ5 alarm standard. The after market Autowatch was fitted by the original owner and fully integrates with the can bus and standard remote key, providing hab door alarm, under bonnet self powered siren and interior movement sensors. It is Thatham CAT2-1 upgrade.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks Liam and Peter up!
Sad state of affairs when an owner's forum know more about their base vehicles than official main dealers.Whistle1
Staying with CC me thinks smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down