The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping with dogs

+20
Paulmold
Gromit
landyman
RodB
dbroada
crisp
Paramedic
MIKE L
kenjones
mikethebike
Shuggiegreen
Paulwest55
m8form8
iank
Traficlady
jollywalker
Quilter
Dutto
daisy mae
maricardo
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Camping with dogs - Page 2 Empty Re: Camping with dogs

Post by Paramedic Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:57 pm

MIKE L wrote:What really annoys us is when on a site with a dog walk people will walk their dogs behind other people's  vans, often we sit having breakfast and a dog will be doing it's business in our view.
Absolutely no need to allow dogs to do that.
Such anti social behaviour needs to be captured with photographic evidence. Thereafter confront the individual to pick it up and also report to site office. I always carry a compact camera and/or phone. You never know what you may witness good or bad, as a picture paints a thousand words.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by MIKE L Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm

People have always picked up but it's still not pleasant to see when there was no need for them to have been there anyway, just too idle to go to the designated area.
MIKE L

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK DUO
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:45 pm

And I get really annoyed with "He won't hurt he's only playing". If I wanted to play I would get my own dog. I appreciate that some people love and are comforted by their pets but I do not feel the need to treat each of them as if it were my own baby!
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:12 am

MIKE L wrote:People have always picked up but it's still not pleasant to see when there was no need for them to have been there anyway, just too idle to go to the designated area.
Have you ever tried explaining to a dog that it can't "go" just there,it's got to walk another 100 yards to where we humans have provided a special place? Nothing to do with idleness.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:49 am

Traficlady wrote:
MIKE L wrote:People have always picked up but it's still not pleasant to see when there was no need for them to have been there anyway, just too idle to go to the designated area.
Have you ever tried explaining to a dog that it can't "go" just there,it's got to walk another 100 yards to where we humans have provided a special place? Nothing to do with idleness.

Nora
Exactly, dog owners do not go out to cause annoyance to others, well the responsible ones don`t anyway. as we all know there are folk that hate dogs and acts that  reinforce this do not do the rest of us, who are responsible dog owners any favours. accidents will happen in all walks of life. and we all do our best not to let this happen, so please be a bit more understanding, as dog owners are embarrassed if that happens. if it is picked up, they have done their best, and no one can do more.

Margaret
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by maricardo Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:20 am

Just as annoying as dogs off the leash is the owner shouting loudly at them to "come back here" time and time again with the dog taking no notice.
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : sussex duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by MIKE L Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Why not wait untill the dog has done it's business at the rear of their own pitch, then we wouldn't have to see it!
MIKE L

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:27 pm

My partner is VERY wary of dogs having been bitten at a young age. Can owners PLEASE stop saying "he's very gentle. He wouldn't hurt a fly.".

It doesn't make the fear go away.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by MIKE L Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:55 pm

I too was bitten in my younger days. I also had encounters with a collie who wouldn't hurt a fly according to he owner, jumping up and viciously snapping at my neck.they complained when I refused to deliver their paper if the dog was out.
MIKE L

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RodB Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:39 am

I would never allow my dog to approach another person unless they wanted to talk to her. Having said that she can normally tell who likes dogs and who does not. Perhaps irrationally I tend to follow the old adage that if my dog doesn't like you then I probably won't either
Although that's probably no more irrational than those who have had a scary experience with a couple of dogs and thereafter dislike all of them!
RodB
RodB

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 am

RodB wrote: no more irrational than those who have had a scary experience with a couple of dogs and thereafter dislike all of them!
Irrational is being frightened of UK spiders, being frightened of animals with sharp teeth doesn't sound irrational to me.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by RodB Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:27 pm

I didn't use the word "frightened" in my post but I can agree that being wary of animals with sharp teeth is sensible, particularly if humans are included!

Still no reason to be scared of all of them though....
RodB
RodB

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 pm

All the dog poo problems can easily be solved.....

Compulsory colostomy bags for all dogs.  hugegrins
landyman
landyman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm

RodB wrote:. . . . being wary of animals with sharp teeth is sensible, particularly if humans are included!
You've met Mrs Gromit then I see.  lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Gromit wrote:
RodB wrote:. . . . being wary of animals with sharp teeth is sensible, particularly if humans are included!
You've met Mrs Gromit then I see.  lol4

You must be getting used to wearing that tin helmet Dave!.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:31 pm

They brought the same in in Flintshire a couple of months ago. There is a private company, rather than the council, running it. I think that, basically, it’s a good idea but we’ll see how it’s run before I pass judgement.

Nora

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:50 pm

If every council adopts such a policy then eventually all dog owners will carry bags out of habit.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:11 pm

We don't carry doggy bags - the dog carries her own!  up!

She has two emergency bags folded small and tucked into her harness, and never less than three or four knotted around the handle of her lead. It's not exactly difficult to go prepared, is it!!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:26 am

Gromit wrote:We don't carry doggy bags - the dog carries her own!  up!

She has two emergency bags folded small and tucked into her harness, and never less than three or four knotted around the handle of her lead. It's not exactly difficult to go prepared, is it!!  shrugg

Very good Dave. If all owners did the same and picked up after their dogs, all we would have to do is try to get those who dump the bags on the ground or hang them on a fence, tree or bush to put them in a bin  Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:47 am

Askit wrote:

Very good Dave. If all owners did the same and picked up after their dogs, all we would have to do is try to get those who dump the bags on the ground or hang them on a fence, tree or bush to put them in a bin  Whistle1
Have you seen the dog poo powered street light in Malvern ?  Put in dollop of poo, wind handle to grind it up and you have done your bit for green power ....or the dog has. Such a good idea and, if we had a dog, I’d certainly use it.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 pm

I have often seen that and thought is it just for show, does the owner really pick it up. We just put bags, unused, in our pockets!
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:48 pm

rgermain wrote:

I have often seen that and thought is it just for show, does the owner really pick it up. We just put bags, unused, in our pockets!
This assumes you wear exactly the same clothes every time you have the dog with you - or that you can guarantee to remember the bags every time you set out. Neither seems very likely to me, so we do the sensible thing and ensure we always have some with us.

I've lost count of the times I've seen people with no obvious bags looking round furtively and quickly dragging their dog, as the poor thing stoops and strains. Would they have dragged him on if there had been nobody watching??

The ones who really annoy me are those who let their dogs wander off the lead on footpaths, quiet lanes and other places where the dog is likely to dump where people will walk. They pay no attention to the dog, which often lags behind, and it seems obvious they have no concern about where it dumps, nor the slightest intention of picking it up.

At least we always have the means to do so, and on more than one occasion have offered (rather pointedly) to give a bag to other owners when their dog has just performed.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:41 pm

Gromit wrote:
rgermain wrote:

This assumes you wear exactly the same clothes every time you have the dog with you - or that you can guarantee to remember the bags every time you set out. Neither seems very likely to me, so we do the sensible thing and ensure we always have some with us.

I've lost count of the times I've seen people with no obvious bags looking round furtively and quickly dragging their dog, as the poor thing stoops and strains. Would they have dragged him on if there had been nobody watching??

The ones who really annoy me are those who let their dogs wander off the lead on footpaths, quiet lanes and other places where the dog is likely to dump where people will walk. They pay no attention to the dog, which often lags behind, and it seems obvious they have no concern about where it dumps, nor the slightest intention of picking it up.

At least we always have the means to do so, and on more than one occasion have offered (rather pointedly) to give a bag to other owners when their dog has just performed.

I saw that very thing today, while walking around the shore today a lady was miles ahead of her dog which did a lovely dump. Then this rather smartly dressed lady on her phone past us not paying any attention at all to her just a smart poodle off the lead which recycled the fresh dump. Well it did save a bag.

My wife and I have never left home without  bags, Spar do good nappy bags, and I am to poor to own more than one coat!

Why do people bag it and the hang it on the nearest branch, hoping for a poo fairy?

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:48 pm

I know many of you have been to France. Dog mess everywhere and most towns have bags available on dispensers. What amazes us is the amount of dog mess next to these areas!

I also like that most French campsites we have stayed at have bags by reception and most do not charge for dogs, not like in this country, we always avoid such sites.

Happy dog walking and look where you tread.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next