The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping with dogs

+20
Paulmold
Gromit
landyman
RodB
dbroada
crisp
Paramedic
MIKE L
kenjones
mikethebike
Shuggiegreen
Paulwest55
m8form8
iank
Traficlady
jollywalker
Quilter
Dutto
daisy mae
maricardo
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Camping with dogs - Page 3 Empty Re: Camping with dogs

Post by bikeralw Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:26 am

Having travelled extensively on the continent, by far the worst country for dog mess is Belgium, yes, even worse than France. We're personal friends of a dog owning couple who live there, and when we commented about the problem, they told us it was normal practice to allow dogs to perform in the gutter between road and footpath. The thinking behind this is that the frequent rain will wash everything down the drains. All very well till there's a prolonged dry spell, which were the conditions the last time we were there..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:47 am

Yes Al. Mrs Gromit once spent most of a holiday in Belgium taking photos of the signage.

Try putting "Hond in de goot" into Google Images!  lol4

This poo bin was seen in Exmouth last year. 

Camping with dogs - Page 3 Vlad12
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:48 pm

A tongue in cheek look at dog walkers. Reading all the complaints re dogs and inconsiderate owners (we love dogs by the way)
It seems it is the same complaints that crop up year on year, therefore maybe a RADICAL APPROACH IS NEEDED.

Perhaps all potential new dog owners should not be allowed to have one, unless they sign up to a rigerous training programme, including how to clean up dog mess after them and how offensive and antisocial it is to others if they don't. They would also have to wear an official large registration name badge with a large number on it each time they take it walkies, better than any license, so they can be spotted and reported for this offence and fined heavily. allthumbz

I know!!, all you who do clean up after your dogs, would not be happy wearing a large badge with a large number on it, but look at it another way, you could walk around with a smug look on your face, then turn your badge over for those keeping a close watch on you, for on the other side, it would show, " I've just cleaned up after my dog." up!

The next stage would be for other site users to take a picture of any perpetrator showing the badge with name and numher and give it to the site warden, he would then put it on a picture board for all to see, job done.   shrugg

Is this finally the answer to all those antis ocial dog people we see everywhere.

At this stage, you can now sit back in your picnic chair, have a glass or two and keep a look out for the next culprit.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Great idea Bad Penny and we could have some poop cameras situated in appropriate places to film the offenders and send the fine straight to their home address. A points system would allow perhaps three offences before they have to attend a poop awareness course with fines paying for the running of the system.hugegrins
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:03 pm

There's a sort of countryside path that divides an excellent campsite at Wool in Dorset. It serves as a farm track to adjacent fields down to the river and beyond. It serves equally as a dog walk to locals and owners staying at the site and there is no bins that IMO is neglectful. Consequently, a relaxing evening stroll say, is not achievable as it's a case of 'eyes down' to avoid the copious amount of dog mess along the route. To broaden the debate, it should be an offence to allow an unleashed dog to soil the wider countryside and all footpaths therein. Rural areas need the same protection as urban spaces enforced by law. Recall at the time when taking our three year old daughter's shoes off to discover a lump of dog shite under her shoe. To make matters worse, she had ventured all about the house beforehand where the stairs and upper rooms were recently carpeted.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:12 pm

What about horses, cows, sheep, pigs etc. in the wider countryside?   scratch head

I'm not too bothered about the cows, sheep and the odd pig, as the argument becomes a bit silly by then, but how is it that horses can dump several kilograms at a time right in the middle of the pavement - but that's considered acceptable?  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Gromit wrote:What about horses, cows, sheep, pigs etc. in the wider countryside?   scratch head

And don’t forget seagulls while you’re about it. At least dog poo ( and that of horses, cows, sheep and pigs) sticks to your feet and can be wiped off. Seagull droppings on your hair and face can scar you, mentally, for life.  They don’ t do the van paintwork a lot of good either. 

Don’t get me started on pheasant poo.....
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Gromit wrote:What about horses, cows, sheep, pigs etc. in the wider countryside?   scratch head

I'm not too bothered about the cows, sheep and the odd pig, as the argument becomes a bit silly by then, but how is it that horses can dump several kilograms at a time right in the middle of the pavement - but that's considered acceptable?  shrugg
Yes a most valid point. I suppose before the internal combustion engine, horses were the main means of transport and the dumping action was considered non polluting to the natural environment when bridle-paths proceeded paved walkways and tarmac. However all aforementioned animals excrete useful fertilizer and mostly within their own domain. Some people will return with a shovel to collect horse poo for their roses or rhubarb so no revulsion as compared to what an inconsiderate dog owner would walk away from. Dog waste serves no purpose for the benefit of food production and same as human excrement becomes a problem for proper dispersal.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Paramedic wrote:
Dog waste serves no purpose for the benefit of food production and same as human excrement becomes a problem for proper dispersal.
It powers street lights in Malvern though!  allthumbz

Quilter - Have you ever stood in fox poo, or been anywhere near a dog that has rolled in it . . . as the little swine do if you're not quick enough to stop them?
It has a fragrance all of its own, though I doubt if Monsieur Givenchy has much use for it!  lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Quilter - Have you ever stood in fox poo, ....

I’ve lead a very sheltered life Dave.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Quilter wrote:

Quilter - Have you ever stood in fox poo, ....

I’ve lead a very sheltered life Dave.

Dog and fox poo, tomatoe sauce works wonders, spread on dog leave for a couple of minutes then wash off. A bit of useful info for those that don`t know,

My dog doesn`t .I know a dog that does. once smelt never to be forgotten.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:37 pm

I didn't realise there could be so much interest shown about dog poo, wow!!!
scratch head
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:04 pm

It's all a load of s**t if you ask me
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 am

Horse muck isn’t as offensive as dog poo because it’s vegetable based rather than meat. 

I complained to Denbigh Council that there were no dog poo bins in a country park and they actually put some in.

I also complained to the Forestry Commission in one of their huge forests that you had to pay about £3 to go in. There was a bin at the main visitor centre but nothing else. I got a letter back saying they practice the stick and flick method. Ok if your dog does nice firm poos

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3