The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noise in Nuevo overcab area when travelling

+4
Peter Brown
oldfred
burlingtonboaby
DLSmall
8 posters

Go down

Noise in Nuevo overcab area when travelling Empty Noise in Nuevo overcab area when travelling

Post by DLSmall Wed May 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi everyone,

We bought a new Nuevo (4 berth) last November and are mostly delighted with it. However we have recently noticed that it creaks a lot (quite loudly) in the overcab area when travelling and it is pretty annoying. We have been motorhome owners for many years and expect a certain amount of noise from motorhomes when travelling but this is worse than on any other van we've had. At first I thought it was coming from the gas struts but is seems to be a bit further back than that - perhaps from the plastic moulding on the roof. Has anyone had anything similar? If so did you find the source and manage to fix it or get it fixed?

It did go back to the dealer recently to have a leak fixed and we mentioned it to them but they said they couldn't hear anything when they took it for a drive. There is no reason for them to fob us off as it is still under warranty.

Any help would be much appreciated as it would be good to get this sorted before we go on holiday in the summer.

Thanks,
Denise
DLSmall
DLSmall

Female

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Noise in Nuevo overcab area when travelling Empty Re: Noise in Nuevo overcab area when travelling

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed May 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi Denise
Welcome to the forum .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Noise in Nuevo overcab area when travelling Empty Re: Noise in Nuevo overcab area when travelling

Post by oldfred Wed May 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I sometimes hear creaking from the overcab area of our ES but it's not all the time. I usually move stuff about and it sometimes stops.

I'd be interested if anyone has investigated this thoroughly

Regards
Fred
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 pm

DLSmall wrote:

Any help would be much appreciated as it would be good to get this sorted before we go on holiday in the summer.

Thanks,
Denise

If you don't spend your holiday trying to eliminate rattles, what do you do?

I had the fire in bits whilst Chris drove through Glencoe as it was driving me mad!

Seriously though all of the joints move and they sometimes make horrendous noises, move things around to adjust the weight distribution and see if that helps and certainly don't forget about the metal flask you have left in the locker over the drivers seat...!

I'm afraid the only effective solution to rattles is to turn hearing aids off and radio on.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by DLSmall Wed May 27, 2015 6:03 pm

Yes having the radio on does help! We also plan to try moving things. It is only on one side - the passenger side.
DLSmall
DLSmall

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DLSmall Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:20 am

I thought I would give a quick update on this. Turned out it wasn't really in the overcab bed area but the plastic moulding in the roof just behind the front seats. Once we realised this and told the dealer they have managed to fix it. I think they took the plastic off and put some strips of wood in there. Anyway it has done the trick - no more creaking and no having to turn the radio up louder than we would like! Hope this helps someone.
DLSmall
DLSmall

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:36 am

DLSmall wrote:I thought I would give a quick update on this. Turned out it wasn't really in the overcab bed area but the plastic moulding in the roof just behind the front seats. Once we realised this and told the dealer they have managed to fix it. I think they took the plastic off and put some strips of wood in there. Anyway it has done the trick - no more creaking and no having to turn the radio up louder than we would like! Hope this helps someone.
Pleased you have sorted out your rattle, we find once you have loaded up the lockers and overhead areas the rattles stop.
Wife's deaf so carn't hear any rattles , great sense of smell, handy for any gas leaks.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:58 am

DLSmall wrote: At first I thought it was coming from the gas struts but is seems to be a bit further back than that
Denise
Swines!!!! censored!

Not you Denise  smile!  - the toerags at Autosleepers!!

Our Nuevo was delivered in May last year without gas struts (or any other stay) on the overcab locker, which made it a real pain in the backside. To access anything in there, one hand had to be holding up the door - which made putting the duvets away into a major hassle. (The little side lockers, also top hinged, were the same.)

I grizzled to Mark at the Service Centre and he was adamant that it wasn't possible to fit gas struts, but they had fitted a leather strap with press studs for some owners, presumably fixed to the roof and looking very much like a poor afterthought!! I certainly didn't want that Heath Robinson "fix", and it was quite obvious nothing else would be offered.

So I designed and made a pair of simple brackets, bought gas struts from eBay for a couple of pounds each, and all three overhead lockers now have struts. I took detailed photos and sent them to Mark, but heard nothing more. I would be very interested to see how they are fitting the struts - shall have a close look at the NEC Show.

Not their finest hour - but they do seem good at making stupid and thoughtless errors in vans which (I guess we would all agree) are generally very good.

Could this be because none of the design team have ever been out in one???? shrugg

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by DLSmall Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:28 am

Well the gas struts we have are not the best - ones we've had in previous vans seemed to hold in most positions whereas these only hold if the bed is pushed right up. We have mentioned this to the dealer but they didn't think there was anything wrong with them. I bet your homemade ones are better!
DLSmall
DLSmall

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:29 pm

Confusion here I fear! Whistle1

Our bed gas struts behave differently depending on the load placed on them - no surprise there then!! If we remove all the seating they only hold when the bed base is right up. With the seating still in place they will hold at almost any position.

In the previous post I was talking only about gas struts in the overcab lockers, assuming from your post that A/S are now fitting them??

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Gromit wrote:Confusion here I fear! Whistle1

Our bed gas struts behave differently depending on the load placed on them - no surprise there then!! If we remove all the seating they only hold when the bed base is right up. With the seating still in place they will hold at almost any position.

In the previous post I was talking only about gas struts in the overcab lockers, assuming from your post that A/S are now fitting them??

Dave

It seems so! The OP has an ES! That has a bed, not lockers. You seem to have an EK but with locker instead of moon roof!
He will, I guess, have only one settee which will have gas struts as on both your settees but he seems to also have gas struts on the overcab bed flap as part of its folding mechanism.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks Ron.

That's probably the truth of it!

Dave up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:29 am

Reading this with interest. My 2004 Nuevo EK overhead lockers (7 of them) have no need of gas or sprung struts. The top hinges have domestic kitchen type built-in very strong springs, capable of holding up the heaviest door. 
I can't believe vans are now supplied with basic hinges requiring aftermarket struts to hold them open. Isn't this going back to the dark ages of caravans??
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:06 am

Hi Guys, Judging by some early am posts on the forum (including mine) are we suffering from insomnia perhaps due to on going van problems or is it that us older blokes need to visit the bathroom frequently? Damn prostate. Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:38 am

Ha, only just realised the time is in the posts. My excuse is that I'm posting from my winter retreat in New Zealand where it's now 9.35pm....
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down