The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pump frost protection

5 posters

Go down

Pump frost protection Empty Pump frost protection

Post by Askit Sat May 16, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi folks, we're awaiting delivery of our Neuvo EK and I've been trawling through the handbook in preparation. I understand we will get a handover from the dealer but a few things (did I really say a few rolleyes ) have got me puzzled.  The handbook suggests that the heating pump frost protection kicks in at 7C, in Scotland the temperature rarely gets above this.  Am I reading this right?  Also, the handbook advises that the main power is switched off when winterising the van.  I thought the whole purpose of having a solar panel was to keep the batteries charged up during the winter lay over. Can I ask what others do. 

I'm sure you will have guessed we're new to all this, please accept my apologies for asking for advice on what I'm sure are some of the basics and my thanks for your patience.
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Pump frost protection Empty Re: Pump frost protection

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat May 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat May 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Askit wrote:Also, the handbook advises that the main power is switched off when winterising the van.  I thought the whole purpose of having a solar panel was to keep the batteries charged up during the winter lay over.

This no doubt depends on what make/model of power management system A-S fit to your van, but I'm fairly sure that the current generation of Sargent controllers include a solar system which remains active even when the main panel power is turned off.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun May 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks, that would make sense.  I need to write down a list of questions for our unsuspecting dealer, then again, will he have the answers!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun May 17, 2015 3:29 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
Thanks for the welcome Boaby, cheers.
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun May 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi there and a big welcome to the forum.
Re your two questions; it all depends on what you mean by wintering as in how long you will leave it without use. 
Your dealer will be of great help and the people on the forum will be as well up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon May 18, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks for the welcome Jaytee, I'm learning from the forum already. I'm having to use a storage facility as we don't have space, but there's no problem with access. We have no plans for winter touring right now so I guess the layup could be three or four months? The issue with the pump dump valve worries me more, we are getting frost warnings this week.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon May 18, 2015 11:02 am

The pump dump is a manageable condition as there are mods etc and ways around preventing it opening when in use and then when stored it would be open anyway so 'worry not' up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Mon May 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi ,yes welcome to the forum, you will find most of the common problems we all endure as A/S motorhomers here at some point! We have a 2012 Nuevo ek basically the same as yours ,I have never experienced any problems with the batteries keeping charge, the standard solar panel seems to keep up with any drain which occurs when the M/H is left idle. Jaytee is spot on saying there should be no problem with the drain valve , as if you are leaving the M/H for any length of time it would be wise to empty the system anyway. I have only once had a problem when filling the tank as it was a frosty morning ,and 5 minutes with the seat base open and the heater on cured it.We really like our Nuevo ,so heres wishing you loads of enjoyment when you get yours!!   Kind regards  Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon May 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Thanks for the replies Jaytee and Paul, the information you're giving me is reassuring.  Getting the Neuvo will follow a very long period of research so we're excited and nervous in equal measure. I feel there's so much to learn but I'm sure it will sort itself out with a bit of practice  smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down