The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

additional protection

+18
Quilter
Charliefarlie
jubejube
logburner
groundhog
steve00136
Paramedic
crisp
NORGIL
RML
Cymro
Mike187
PLOUGHLIN
daisy mae
Organplayer
burlingtonboaby
paul bullock
dbroada
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

additional protection Empty additional protection

Post by dbroada Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:07 pm

I know mirror protectors have been covered before as I have searched but the only conclusion I can come to is they are expensive.

Do people feel they are worth having (certainly cheaper than a new mirror) and is the Road Pro worth twice the other one (which name escapes me)?

And while on the subject, what about headlamp protectors? I have never lost a light so I'm not sure of their worth but you never know.

And finally, I assume I have the long arm mirrors. I'm posting a photo purely to show off my new purchase get information.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

additional protection Empty Re: additional protection

Post by paul bullock Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi love the van, bet you cant wait to get behind the wheel!! Mirror guards are worth every penny ,we got ours when the van was new [4 Yrs!?] and there was at that time only one type available from a company near Wellington ,they were expensive but you get what you pay for ive found, I was very relieved to have them when some chap couldn't wave  and steer at the same time and smashed into the mirror just south of Ullapool. He cracked the mirror guard and destroyed the indicator lens ,but at least I still had a mirror for the long drive back to Cornwall, it really didn't effect the trip at all  ,but without the mirrorguard it could have been so different. And when I got back I found you could just replace one mirror guard at a time so it was a fairly easy fix .All the best for your new van,im sure youll love it!   Kind regards          Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:53 pm

My Nuevo wing mirrors survived several hits from passing transits and the like , without them they would had been totalled . My Sigma has the Milenco ones on currently, however they do not appear to be as well manufactured as the orginal mirror guards, the Milenco ones are thinner and just for cosmetic looks in my opinion .
Boaby. Nice van by the way. Drooling with envy
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

additional protection Empty Additional Protection

Post by Organplayer Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi Debroada.
Our current and Broadway and two previous m/hmes are/were fitted with the expensive wing mirror guards. On two occasions I was so glad they were there. 1..When a young French chap driving his m/hme in France decided to "meet" me as he approached us. The two opposing wing mirrors smacked with such force and the smack noise was horrendous. His mirror was shattered and ours with the Mirror Guard fitted was undamaged, even the Guard was undamaged.  2.. Leaving the ferry in Bilbao I was dazzled as the bright sunlight was reflected off the sloping deck of the ship. A loud bang and I realised the nearside wing mirror had hit one of the red coloured stantions. No damage to the wing mirror except for a red mark on the Mirror Guard, which came off with the use of Jif.

I have two sets of headlamp protectors, one set on which the blankings are permanently fixed  for continental driving and a second set for use in UK. They are not cheap but are much cheaper than a replacement headlight unit.

Best wishes.  Ed.
Organplayer
Organplayer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I had headlight protectors on all four of my Volvos, cannot seem to get them for the VW or wing mirror protectors, does anyone know where I can get wing mirror protectors for a VW T4 please.?

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:29 pm

daisy mae wrote:I had headlight protectors on all four of my Volvos, cannot seem to get them for the VW or wing mirror protectors, does anyone know where I can get wing mirror protectors for a VW T4 please.?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:19 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
daisy mae wrote:I had headlight protectors on all four of my Volvos, cannot seem to get them for the VW or wing mirror protectors, does anyone know where I can get wing mirror protectors for a VW T4 please.?

Many thanks for that link, Ploughlin, but they are the decorative ones, I want the wing mirror protectors, can get them for  Boxers, Fiats etc. I go through crowded villages usually very heavy with lorries, vans etc, just luck I have avoided white van man, they seem to come straight at you. also single track lanes with high hedges. my usual routes when at home.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Don't blame you showing off Dave.
The mirrors do seem to stick out a long way, I've called our van "Wingnut".

Never hit anything with a mirror or lost a mirror in 16 years with our last van, but have done is this one. Hit a road side young tree in a roadside hedge with the nearside mirror, the mirror folded against the van with a crash, smashed the main mirror, the indicator, the mirror guard came off (not sure if that broke or was run over by following traffic as it was not a good place to stop) and the mirror casing cracked. Not at any great speed as I had just slowed and pulled over for a bus going the opposite way.

Aftermarket replacement mirror, electric, heated and indictor £168. Nothing like £300+ that mirror guard imply on their website. Then a replacement mirror guard £70.

Their advantage is they are white so do stand out to oncoming traffic, do offer some protection from damage. But they do seem expensive for what they are. If it happened again I would certainly take a look at Millenco ones at about £65, they do have a clamp fastening and not just held on by friction and a bit of double sided tape! Not seen in real life though.

On the Pug the mirrors are medium arm and did take a bit of finding. But yours look like the long arm version by the photo. I did toy with the idea of changing to the short arm version.

Not had headlight protectors and never had one broken so not rushing to get them. Protectors are about £50 and a headlight unit £80-£90. Anyway knowing my luck if I put protectors on I'll get one smashed!!

Mike
Mike187
Mike187
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:18 pm

I know of another Forum Member whose Boxer-based AS was recently hit: nearside wing mirror slammed into side window and did some damage to the mirror; I gather he was able to have a new mirror lens. He has MirrorGuards.

I had an idiot come too close to me when I was stationary queuing at lights; broke the lens and back of Clubman's O/S mirror. Was an awful job to get correct replacement for a 1998 T4 - ended up buying the whole assembly from a scrappy.

I'm v nervous of the width of my current Nuevo. Mirrors stick out a long way. Frequently forced into hedges by oncoming traffic on rural roads around here. Just no patience or politeness (with them!).

Last edited by Cymro on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:19 pm

Ah, Forgot to add: I put on MirrorGuards from new March 2015. So far, so lucky.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:26 pm

In my experience the first and last mile is where mirrors are the most vulnerable, I chose not to fit these and just be extra vigilant and so far so good - he said tempting fate...
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Thanks people, most think they are a good idea then.

Since I had a detached retina (now reattached) my judgement from side to side at close range is not brilliant so it does make sense to fit them.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:41 pm

dbroada your information looks lovely, it's almost as if it's a new one !  enjoy.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:53 pm

Wing mirror protectors are a great idea! Having lost a mirror to a van whose driver then announced "I thought that was going to be tight" Now I wouldn't be without them. Found a good supplier or replacement mirrorMVS in Middlesex extremely knowledgeable staff and a fraction of the cost quoted by Peugeot. I hope never to need to use them again:hugegrins:
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Recently fitted 'Mirrorguard' to our van for the protection aspect as highlighted in the aforementioned posts. The fact that oncoming vehicles are alerted to these white mirrors (especially in poor light/shade) hopefully will deter any collision. The latest version has 5 mm depth of foam adhered to the inside for increased shock absorbing effect and the new designed logo will be reflected by approaching headlights. Yes £120 + £10 postage seems expensive initially thinking that the £10 was in part a method of gaining more profit. However, the cost of postage was indeed the full £10 sent first class via Royal Mail. Therefore probably saved money by not travelling to Newbury show last month to buy these mirror guards as it would have incurred £14 entrance fee plus a few quid in diesel. Overall now feel more confident that these mirror guards signal to oncoming traffic, 'SEE ME......SO KEEP OUT OF MY WAY!!!

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:59 pm

NORGIL wrote:dbroada your information looks lovely, it's almost as if it's a new one !  enjoy.
if I'm fishing for compliments I should at least acknowledge the some that come my way. Thank you very much. thanksverymuch

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:28 pm

You don't need compliments! you've got a brand new Nuevo,  that's a big complement in itself!!  Enjoy your van!!       Regards    Paul up!
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:17 am

I use these self adhesive reflectors to make my mirrors more prominent and noticeable to oncoming traffic especially at night.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So far so good!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:06 am

I think the white mirror covers on the Peugeot/fiat chassis look really good but some of the chrome type ones can look a bit cheap and bling. I like the reflective strip there Steve.

We were "kissed" by an AA van the other day, first time in many years of motorhoming that has ever happened, fortunately no damage but checked with Mercedes on the cost of a new mirror and was surprised that many of the parts are available individually so the mirrors are generally repairable. Decided not to fit mirror protectors on that basis.
Ever considered LED running lights, I was of mixed mind but have now fitted some and they do have the desired effect of showing oncoming traffic how wide you are?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Steve0036,
Did you buy the reflectors ready made to fit, or is it reflective tape you have put on ??    scratch head
logburner
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:31 am

I will have LED running lights as part of the headlamp cluster but I find any outlining lights hide the true extent of a vehicle, which in its current state is the black mirrors.

On a similar note I am convinced people pull out on me at night in my Smart is they interpret the narrow light placement as that of a normal car further away.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Oh yes I forgot you people with posh new vans have LED's as standard...us poor old souls have to make do without... hugegrins
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:25 pm

groundhog wrote:Oh yes I forgot you people with posh new vans have LED's as standard...us poor old souls have to make do without... hugegrins
I look down on him as he had to fit his own LEDs. I am a new buyer. lol4

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

additional protection Empty additional protection

Post by jubejube Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:48 pm

We had our wing mirrors smashed twice ,both hit and run,we bought mirror armour from road pro expensive but marquis took over £500 for fitting a new one,my husband has covered the armour with fancy luminous stickers and it works well you actually see the lorries moving over,good luck with your neuvo we love our lancashire. jubejube
jubejube
jubejube

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:54 am

logburner wrote:Hi Steve0036,
Did you buy the reflectors ready made to fit, or is it reflective tape you have put on ??    scratch head

Also interested in those reflectors ! 

That new van looks fantastic !

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next