The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to drop the spare wheel on 2015 Nuevo

+2
inspiredron
Cymro
6 posters

Go down

How to drop the spare wheel on 2015 Nuevo Empty How to drop the spare wheel on 2015 Nuevo

Post by Cymro Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Well, what a palaver!  I always like to know how to change the wheel. When collecting the Nuevo I asked the dealer, who said "just call the AA / RAC". Hmmm 

So today, armed with sunshine, a dry floor and the handbook, I set about it. As per instructions, I wound down the spare: it seems to hang under the motorhome, suspended by a wire which attaches to a small plate which hold up the wheel. Not my favourite arrangement. Anyway, with the wheel on the floor, I need to detach the wire and its plate. As per handbook, I find within the cavity of the wheel a knurled plastic wheel, which undoes to free the plate. Except that the plate is still secured to the wire (2 vertical steel bits stick through the wheel from the plate, and the wire is held by a horizontal across those verticals.) The handbook says "remove the wheel" but doesn't say how.

I ring the local Pugeot main dealer. I describe the issue. I'm told "just take off the wheel" - but when pressed, the lady said that she couldn't help further, so please ring the AA / RAC!! I protested. They are Main Dealers! So they said "ring Peugeot Assist". In turn, they said that only the mechanics on the road could advise, but try Peugeot Customer Service. They in turn couldn't help with an explanation either but suggested I make an appointment and drive to the local dealer. I persuaded Customer Services to use their influence, and soon I had an appointment for mid-afternoon.

I get there, and another person says "you undo the hook at the end of the wire". But there isn't a hook. So a mechanic comes, and we walk to the AS as I describe it. He said "Ah, that's different - let's have a look." So I get out the tools, and we crawl underneath. Down comes the wheel, and he confirms that it's a new configuration. Eventually, a shout of triumph: the plate and its vertical bars can be manipulated through the centre of the wheel with a great deal of fiddling, leaving the plate at the end of the wire, and the wheel free.

So now you know! I didn't replace the wheel this afternoon. That joyful task will be done when it's next dry and fine.  Imagine if I'd had a flat in the dark in the rain. I'll do it for myself once more, to get the hang of it.  I even thought at one point that the aerosol puncture repair kit might be better than this!

Progress.... !

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

How to drop the spare wheel on 2015 Nuevo Empty Re: How to drop the spare wheel on 2015 Nuevo

Post by inspiredron Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Ouch! Is that winding down with the black pentagonal allen key? If so I had better inspect mine!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

How to drop the spare wheel on 2015 Nuevo Empty Re: How to drop the spare wheel on 2015 Nuevo

Post by Paulmold Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:26 pm

Definitely one to leave for the AA/RAC. No way would I crawl under 3.5tonne supported by just the jack provided.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:08 am

No way would I crawl under 3.5tonne supported by just the jack provided

I was advised to throw the jack away before I was tempted to use it!
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:53 am

I carry a 6 ton hydraulic jack in plastic carrying case, bought reasonably priced from Ebay.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. My antics with the spare wheel (including the crawling underneath with the mechanic at the Dealer's) were done without jacking the vehicle. I'd never crawl under if raised by just the wind-up jack.

Inspiredon: I can't recall precisely, but I think you're correct: there are 2 bars involved, one black (about 9") which fits on to the female socket fixed under the vehicle, facing the nearside; and a longer extension (silver) which at one end extends the black one and at the other just reaches outside the offside skirt, through which a bar is pushed at 90 degrees by which to turn it. What a faff!
But if anyone else has the arrangement of supporting plate affixed to the suspending wire, I suggest you have a go just to see how fiddly it is to manoeuvre the plate through the wheel. One to be avoided! Why can't they make something simple!!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:12 pm

With a puncture and the tyre flat on the floor, I doubt you'll have the room the crawl underneath to get at the spare without jacking it up, that's when I'd leave it the rescue guys.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Umm reminds me of a quote from a book by CS Lewes, "Progress! we've seen what you call progress in an egg, In Narnia we call it going bad". Glad my spare wheel is more simplistic to remove and change than a new one like yours.  hugegrins
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:26 pm

I've also found using the tool with extended bar a bit of a faff, I've ground the hexagon end of tool so that it fits the corner steady winder, now dead easy to wind up and down. I've also removed the bulky tool kit with scissor jack etc  from under passenger seat and stored it in my garage. I also carry a small tool kit with me for any emergencys.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:53 pm

artheytrate wrote:.... I've ground the hexagon end of tool so that it fits the corner steady winder, now dead easy to wind up and down.....
John.

Excellent suggestion! Thanks.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down