The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway EK Wooden Seats Collapsing

+4
-mojo-
roli
Claytaa
oddjob
8 posters

Go down

Broadway EK Wooden Seats Collapsing Empty Broadway EK Wooden Seats Collapsing

Post by oddjob Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Auto-Sleepers Broadway EK, 3 years old, wooden frames to dinette seats are collapsing where there are right angle cut-outs to go round the seat belt frame assembly in both front and rear seats. These cut outs are of thick ply held together by screws.  The layers of ply are coming apart where the screws are fixed. Have spoken to Broadway service and they are happy to replace the rear portion of the frames with the same wooden design which has failed for around £330 + vat .  I understand that later editions have metal seat bases.   As the offered repair would be of the same design as that which failed, would I be throwing good money after bad?   Does anyone now of a simple fix? PS. There are no large people  using the van and I have owned it since new.
oddjob
oddjob

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Wooden Seats Collapsing Empty Re: Broadway EK Wooden Seats Collapsing

Post by Claytaa Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:01 pm

If it's only 3 years old I would be approaching AS as to a sympathetic out of date warranty claim. Things like a seat frame should last a lot longer than three years. Got a new AS Bourton arriving in Oct and it's this kind of thing that really makes me wonder if I am spending a crazy amount of hard earned brass on a a sub standard product!
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Wooden Seats Collapsing Empty Re: Broadway EK Wooden Seats Collapsing

Post by roli Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Same thing happened with our Windsor six months into its life. All the seat bases were changed under warranty they knew they weren't right
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by oddjob Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Many thanks for your advice.  I bought the AS new from Marquis at Poole, when I asked them about the seat base problem they said that they were only the agent and I would need to speak to AS direct.  AS service were happy to carry out the repair work - at a price.
oddjob
oddjob

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Assuming the failure was not caused by abuse, it would seem that they are clearly "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act, and it is Marquis that should be responsible for rectifying the problem, not Auto-Sleepers.

It's not the first time I've heard something like "we are only the agent" as an excuse to try to dodge contractual liability...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by andyiow Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:41 pm

-mojo- wrote:Assuming the failure was not caused by abuse, it would seem that they are clearly "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act, and it is Marquis that should be responsible for rectifying the problem, not Auto-Sleepers.

It's not the first time I've heard something like "we are only the agent" as an excuse to try to dodge contractual liability...
Wouldn't go near a Marquis dealership never mind go in. My Broadway EK is being built now so I will take a close look.  The act is very clear on responsibility, the supplying dealer. If Marquis continue to say the same thing visit your local trading standards department, they will sort things.
andyiow
andyiow

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by andyiow Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:43 pm

Oh I forgot, Marquis/AS, are they not the same thing!
andyiow
andyiow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:49 pm

andyiow wrote:Oh I forgot, Marquis/AS, are they not the same thing!

I don't know the details, but I doubt that in contractual terms they are the same legal entity. IMO, A-S would have set things up so that if Marquis went bust they would not bring the whole A-S operation down (not that I am suggesting that there is any likelihood of Marquis going bust, I should add...)
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:56 pm

It seems to be very much which Marquis branch you visit and who you talk to. We met someone with a Worcester that was bought from Swindon branch and when something went wrong with the water heater thermostat whilst in France, Swindon wouldn't courier a replacement or even send it first class and could only book them in 7 weeks ahead. So they approached Poole branch who went out of their way to fit the people in on route on their return and sorted it while they waited. Marquis certainly need to sort out their customer relations and all sing from the same hymn sheet and learn the definition of the word service otherwise the demise of the previous 'largest dealer network in the UK' will soon be followed. What was the name of that company that had 9 branches and now have one? Oh yes Br****ills.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by andyiow Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:06 pm

All I can say is when I wanted to spend a fortune on a new Broadway Marquis were awful, rude and couldn't even reply on time. Luckily by the time that called back (5hrs later than promised) I had spoken to 4 other dealers and done the deal. Shocking customer relations.
andyiow
andyiow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:37 pm

The only reason we use Marquis is for warranty work to make sure they can't wriggle out of the warranty cover. We used them for the Hab inspection this year as it was free because of the problems we had with our van before we collected it.
Won't be using them again and unlikely to buy AS again.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by silvertraveller Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi oddjob
                Had the same problem on our 09 Broadway , but fortunately the ply wood didn't split , I strengthened the joints with 90 degree metal brackets from B & Q cost about £2 including screws , up to press  had no more problems  cheap repair .
                                          Mick
silvertraveller
silvertraveller

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : 2009 Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:45 pm

I would have gone the same route as Mick but there was other warranty work needed to be done but when they fixed it I fitted 15mm sq box section braces to the seat bases
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:58 pm

-mojo- wrote:
andyiow wrote:Oh I forgot, Marquis/AS, are they not the same thing!

I don't know the details, but I doubt that in contractual terms they are the same legal entity. IMO, A-S would have set things up so that if Marquis went bust they would not bring the whole A-S operation down (not that I am suggesting that there is any likelihood of Marquis going bust, I should add...)

Marquis Motorhomes is registered to Orchard works, Willersey the same as Auto-Sleepers

Marquis Motorhomes
Orchard Works,
Willersey, Nr Broadway,
Worcs

No doubt they are registered as separate limited companies incase one should ever become insolvent, but it's basically Auto-Sleepers sister company and retail division...

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by andyiow Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:24 am

Perhaps a divorce would greatly improve AS sales and boost their reputation.
andyiow
andyiow

Male

Back to top Go down