The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

battery to battery or alternater to battery c

3 posters

Go down

battery to battery or alternater to battery c Empty battery to battery or alternater to battery c

Post by artheytrate Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Has anyone fitted a Sterling battery to battery or alternator to battery charger to their motor homes, and if so how have they performed as I'm thinking of fitting one to our Broadway EB. boo 

Thanks.
John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

battery to battery or alternater to battery c Empty Re: battery to battery or alternater to battery c

Post by harry the horse Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Hello John.

I have had Sterling 50amp b2b for about six years now fitted to our 2008 Nuevo 3lr. I got it at the NEC show from RoadPro and fitted by Dave Newell of Telford, bit of a deal between them.

I think it all depends on what type of touring you do wether to buy one or not. If you stay off ehu for days on end you'll have to run it up to charge up to 12.7v perhaps annoy your fellow campers for half an hour. But if move every two days Aire/stelaplatz hopping like we do it's fine & the fridge does'nt take it's toll out of the battery, it's fully charged in half an hour! I also have a Banner 135ah battery. Just recently I fitted a BP solar panel, so I'm quids in.

I have had no issues with the B2B since day one. We camp all the year round.

Hope this helps you.

Harry.
harry the horse
harry the horse

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo

Back to top Go down

battery to battery or alternater to battery c Empty Re: battery to battery or alternater to battery c

Post by Peter Brown Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:15 am

I met a chap with a Nuevo on a stellplatz at Zell on the Mosel a few years ago who had a Sterling unit fitted (can't remember the model) that kept the alternator charge rate high till the leisure battery was fully charged.  He was very happy with it and when I researched it on return home the spec looked good.

Not long after we got our current van with the sargent 325 fitted that works in the same way - its ok to charge with high voltages when the habitation electrics are disconnected from the leisure battery with the engine running.

Later Sargent units may also do the same so it would be worth chatting to Sargent before spending your money and you may also find that for modern Sargent systems that they will 'compete' with the Sterling, possibly disastrously - again talk to Sargent.

Personally I've found that an 80 - 100w solar panel connected via the sargent unit keeps both leisure and vehicle batteries well topped up.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:42 pm

Thank you Harry and Peter.   

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down