The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo or Broadway

+7
breakaleg
Actionmike
nuevoboy
Tonyt
skyrakes
DuxDeluxe
yammy
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nuevo or Broadway Empty Nuevo or Broadway

Post by yammy Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:09 pm

i have found myself searching to almost obsessive levels to find my perfect van, the trouble is ... i love it , much to the dismay of my partner. !!!!  It has come down to 2 vans, either the Nuevo EK or to go 50 ish cms longer and go for the Broadway EB. Has anyone been in this situation with these 2 vans or can help me make a decision on either one. the Nuevo seems cozier and more compact and would be cheaper on ferry crossings as under 6m but the Broadway has a fantastic cross section bathroom area and obviously has more room for meal preparation etc. I would like to tour ultimately around europe but storing the van would make it easier for the Nuevo as it can go on the driveway....just but i would have to pay for storage for the Broadway. Neither has a huge amount of storage for things like table, chairs, windbreaks and bedding etc.(not all will fit under the bench!!)

i thank you in advance as i am on holiday at mo and cant always get a descent phone connection.
yammy
yammy

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP TB
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Nuevo or Broadway Empty Re: Nuevo or Broadway

Post by DuxDeluxe Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi, welcome on board and please don't forget to introduce yourself in the appropriate section

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have a broadway but looking at your own arguments it looks like you really made the decision yourself but a bit more space is always welcomed if you can get away with it. The Nuevo is a really popular 'van - for good reason. Enjoy it, whichever one you get allthumbz 

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrakes Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Go for the Nuevo. (Ours is a 2012 EK)Yes it may be a little tight around the kitchen area but remember you are going to use it for holidays. Not to spend time chained to the sink/oven.
Regarding space. After a couple of trips out we noticed that you can store chairs behind the seats. The Nuevo comes with 2 tables, one of which fits between the driver & passenger seats. The other is similar to a caravan table that you can take outside. Windbreak will store in the shower. WE store the continental quilts in one of the cupboards above. We also noticed that we dont need half the stuff we used to have in the caravan.  For an awning see lillypadleisure.com.  It is a great bit of kit. Erected in minutes dismantled even quicker.
skyrakes
skyrakes

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:59 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:Hi, welcome on board and please don't forget to introduce yourself in the appropriate section

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have a broadway but looking at your own arguments it looks like you really made the decision yourself but a bit more space is always welcomed if you can get away with it. The Nuevo is a really popular 'van - for good reason. Enjoy it, whichever one you get allthumbz 
 Thank you DuxDeluxe for your comments, really appreciated them and yes sorry I will introduce myself, all done a bit quickly . cheers Rob.
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:03 pm

skyrakes wrote:Go for the Nuevo. (Ours is a 2012 EK)Yes it may be a little tight around the kitchen area but remember you are going to use it for holidays. Not to spend time chained to the sink/oven.
Regarding space. After a couple of trips out we noticed that you can store chairs behind the seats. The Nuevo comes with 2 tables, one of which fits between the driver & passenger seats. The other is similar to a caravan table that you can take outside. Windbreak will store in the shower. WE store the continental quilts in one of the cupboards above. We also noticed that we dont need half the stuff we used to have in the caravan.  For an awning see lillypadleisure.com.  It is a great bit of kit. Erected in minutes dismantled even quicker.
 Thank you skyrakes, very interesting comments as you have a Nuevo, my partner has yet to be convinced about motorhomes so i am fighting a losing battle but i plan to purchase one whatever she says but she does use the shower in my van which is tiny which is why i thought of the Broadway with the super size bathroom. how did you find the bathroom in the Nuevo ? very interested to here about what things annoyed you about it or things that could be imbroved upon as it almost sounds like the perfect van for 2. cheers Rob
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:08 pm

I've seen vehicle length and ferry charges mentioned in numerous posts from people pondering over what to buy.

If you are one such person, do some sums - just how much extra, in a year, would it cost you to go over the 6m mark?

If you really want that extra length, I don't think the extra ferry cost factor is significant enough to be worth considering.

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Sold -

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Tonyt wrote:.
I've seen vehicle length and ferry charges mentioned in numerous posts from people pondering over what to buy.

If you are one such person, do some sums - just how much extra, in a year, would it cost you to go over the 6m mark?

If you really want that extra length, I don't think the extra ferry cost factor is significant enough to be worth considering.
 its very difficult Tony, although the Broadway is only 6.28m compared to the Nuevo 5.71m its amazing how much more room you get for that extra 57cms and if it means the "missus" is going to be that much more happier with a proper bathroom then i am tempted with the Broadway however I cant get the Nuevo out of my head !! I think if people are going to pay £50,000 the they really shouldnt be worrying about the few extra quid with ferry fares but parking in various tight spots might be but again its only a matter of 57cms so why does it bother me so much !!!?  The only concern is where to put bedding etc  as it seems like everything has to go under the settee and a small compartment underneath that !! Maybe at the NEC in October they might have something else that they can throw into the pot eh !!!
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrakes Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Bathroom no problem. Yes it could be bigger but we are both happy with it. Bench seats ideal as 2 single or a double bed. We normally sleep single, unless she wants a cuddle. No problem parking in car parks. Does not overflow to 2 spaces.  Great for wild camping you can go down narrow lanes without any problems and park in the smallest of places.
One of the things that swung it for me was explaining to the Mrs, after a 10 day holiday with the caravan. We went out everyday and came back to the same place every evening. Sometimes a 100mile round trip. With a motor home if you want to visit somewhere you drive off and find somewhere to park for the evening or plan a route.  Differant scenary every night.

The wife was very concerned when we bought it but now she loves it. (Yes they are a lot of money but we are getting our monies worth. No good sitting on a drive 50 weeks of the year.) 

You have to change the way you 'camp' with a motor home if you are changing from a caravan.  If you are travelling about you don't need to get all the bits and bobs out or  vases of flowers, bowls of fruit etc. You would have to pack it away when you want to move. We have just spent 16 days touring the Borders. A bit of wild camping and some time on a THS and a CL. It did not stop us visiting various places using the motor home.

We can now say 'lets * Inappropriate Word * off for a couple of days to wherever and wild camp' or 'lets go and spend an evening at a country pub have a few beers, meal, sleep in the van and move along the next day'. (See brit stops web site for details)

All the best convincing the wife.
skyrakes
skyrakes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrakes Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Just remembered. To convince the wife we visited our local dealer and spent an hour in one. (We did ask the salesman not to disturb us) 

We built the bed as 2 singles and a double and had a lay down. We also pretended to have a shower, pretended to cook using the oven. One thing we did find out is that the oven door needed reversing. It was fitted so that it opened from R to L. This way there was a chance of catching the bathroom door with the handle and also it was a bit tight putting/removing the meat tray. I changed it round much better. Also spent time playing with the 2 front seats to find the best positions.
Hope this helps
skyrakes
skyrakes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Same issue here with the oven door - only just enough room but we haven't changed it. I still like the swing wall bathroom.

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Nuevo or Broadway Empty Why new?

Post by nuevoboy Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi, I'm just wondering why you want to go for a new van already, given that "senior management" isn't even convinced that motorhoming is for you.

We opted for an '05 Nuevo when we dived into this wonderful way of life, although we too weren't sure if it would be for us. As it happens, we both love it and while delighted with our purchase of our Nuevo, one always wants (or hopes for) a bit more room or something more modern.

We've enjoyed looking around to see what's on offer and have never found anything we liked better than ours.
That was until we noticed the Broadway EB and thought it was gorgeous.; lovely and light and such a spacious layout at the rear end.

However, when we got to a dealers (and also a show) to look at one, we were so disappointed.
Yes, the kitchen area is fantastic and the bathroom too.

But, although the 'van is getting on for a metre longer than ours, the bed is narrower, there's no overcab cupboards to store our bedding (and as you've noted, the under-sofa space is limited), there's no Truma heater (and blown air heating in the winter isn't what we want) and on the one we saw, there was no external access to the nearside sofa cupboard, to store the cable and levellers.
And worst of all is the ridiculous (in many opinions) water-fill system.

So, in essence, all may not be as rosy as first impressions. By all means go with whatever you like but please don't be swayed by too much modern "bling". Carefully work out what you'll really need, although as you're both new to motorhoming, it may be better to set your sights a little lower initially to make sure it really is what you'll both be happy with and can then spend the rest of your life enjoying this great pastime to it's fullest.

Good luck.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Nuevo or Broadway Empty Nuevo praise

Post by Actionmike Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:53 am

Hi,
    we have an 07 Nuevo, love it! We wanted a smaller van to fit on our drive, didn't want to have to park it in storage. It is a "compact" van but great for the two of us. We haven't run out of storage space yet, bedding goes over the cab, folding seats behind the cab seats, awnings under offside bunk, so loads of room. The shower is small, but very usable, and is very neat as it folds away. ( we wanted a separate shower ). I would take it anywhere due to its compact size, where a bigger van might be a struggle. We highly rate the Nuevo.
                                                                                                                           Mike.
Actionmike
Actionmike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : NUEVO EK 3.0
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:41 am

nuevoboy wrote:Hi, I'm just wondering why you want to go for a new van already, given that "senior management" isn't even convinced that motorhoming is for you.

We opted for an '05 Nuevo when we dived into this wonderful way of life, although we too weren't sure if it would be for us. As it happens, we both love it and while delighted with our purchase of our Nuevo, one always wants (or hopes for) a bit more room or something more modern.

We've enjoyed looking around to see what's on offer and have never found anything we liked better than ours.
That was until we noticed the Broadway EB and thought it was gorgeous.; lovely and light and such a spacious layout at the rear end.

However, when we got to a dealers (and also a show) to look at one, we were so disappointed.
Yes, the kitchen area is fantastic and the bathroom too.

But, although the 'van is getting on for a metre longer than ours, the bed is narrower, there's no overcab cupboards to store our bedding (and as you've noted, the under-sofa space is limited), there's no Truma heater (and blown air heating in the winter isn't what we want) and on the one we saw, there was no external access to the nearside sofa cupboard, to store the cable and levellers.
And worst of all is the ridiculous (in many opinions) water-fill system.

So, in essence, all may not be as rosy as first impressions. By all means go with whatever you like but please don't be swayed by too much modern "bling". Carefully work out what you'll really need, although as you're both new to motorhoming, it may be better to set your sights a little lower initially to make sure it really is what you'll both be happy with and can then spend the rest of your life enjoying this great pastime to it's fullest.

Good luck.
 very interesting, thank you, I have had an old Autosleeper Expess Harmony for the last 2 years and absolutely love it, am well and trully hooked and i would like my partner to be as enthusiastic as me but no luck, however she does like going out for days at a time and the odd weekend away. The reason i would like a Nuevo is the fact that it is smaller than the EB and definately larger than the one i currently have so hopefully she will be excited when i show her it at a showroom. i would like new as it will be my retirement present and if she doesnt like it then i will just take the dog and use it anyway. 
Can you explain about the water-fill system and the heating system between the Nuevo and the Broadway, do they not use the same method? 
cheers robin
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:53 am

Actionmike wrote:Hi,
    we have an 07 Nuevo, love it! We wanted a smaller van to fit on our drive, didn't want to have to park it in storage. It is a "compact" van but great for the two of us. We haven't run out of storage space yet, bedding goes over the cab, folding seats behind the cab seats, awnings under offside bunk, so loads of room. The shower is small, but very usable, and is very neat as it folds away. ( we wanted a separate shower ). I would take it anywhere due to its compact size, where a bigger van might be a struggle. We highly rate the Nuevo.
                                                                                                                           Mike.
 Fantastic but the new Nuevo EK has skylights in place where you would have your storage above the cab and i do like the enormous amount of light coming through but as usual you have to compromise and you clearly have alot more room as a result, swings and rounabouts !! I did think of the Nuevo ES (4 berth) but i dont like the "cafe" dinette setup as i prefer the 2 settees facing each other "chill" out setup. I just cant wait and every opportunity i get i pop down to the local dealer to see and play with the setting/bedding arrangment, what a sad git ehh !!!!

cheers Robin
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi We have an 06 Lancashire (same as the Nuevo ek) Iam six foot 4 inches and find that there is plenty of room both in the van and the shower, in fact, it is the first van that I have owned where the bed is big enough for me to lie flat in.
Another thing, the nuevo will fit in a parking bay better, no overhang.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 pm

breakaleg wrote:Hi We have an 06 Lancashire (same as the Nuevo ek) Iam six foot 4 inches and find that there is plenty of room both in the van and the shower, in fact, it is the first van that I have owned where the bed is big enough for me to lie flat in.
Another thing, the nuevo will fit in a parking bay better, no overhang.
Pete
 thanx Pete, do you have space above the cab as the new Nuevo EK's have a skylight there instead and am worried about where to put bedding etc
cheers
Robin
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:44 pm

On the Nuevo ES you can still have the settees facing one another and that's how we normally use the van when there's just 2 of us.   The extra space over the cab is very useful for storage.

The only thing I would change on ours is the Thetford fridge.    They don't seem to work on any kind of slope at all which means that whenever you park up on the road, carpark or supermarket you are on defrost.

Last edited by Billy Ruffian on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pressed send too early)
Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2 ES
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:08 am

We hsve a 2012 Lancashire built on a 2011 body. Why? Because for 2012 the overcab locker was replaced by a skylight and the wet locker below the nearside bed locker was omitted. We could not manage without either of those. For 2013 the wet locker has been reinstated and the overcab locker is an option instead of the skylight. Also there is now a gas tank underneath which should release extra space in the offside bed locker. We love our Lancashire. It drives very well and because of the short wheelbase it turns on a sixpence. We have 2 very bad criticisms. The CA1000 aircon is USELESS.  It does not have enough power and the currently fitted Freshjet 1100 would be equally bad. I hope that we have now solved the other problem of waste tank contents coming up into the shower tray on left hand bends!  Sadly A/S fit the waste pipes into the sides of the tank without smell traps or non return valves. That has now been rectified but has yet to be testef in practice. It looks as if the aircon problem may go to a "not fit for purpose" case as Dometic don't want to know. Their latest suggestion is to remove the unit and send it to Italy for testing leaving a hole in the roof!
You may want to get them to omit the outside shower point at nearside rear - the pipes take up useful cupboard space beside the safe which is ideal for wine or oil bottles. I have no problems with the Whale water filling,  though it WILL be vrry difficult if it ever goes wrong. A/S will fit a conventional filler cap but only as an extra and not as a substitute so you lose some locker space. The fan heater is very quiet so is not a disadvantage over the earlier convector. Hopefully it is still under the wardrobe - on the Brosdway it sits in the offside bed locker taking up useful storage. We have not changed the handing of the oven door.
2013 models have less substantial lockers than ours with skeleton separators rather than solid ends which will allow contents to drift.
I hope that this helps with your decision.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 am

Hi.
yes we have the locker above the cab, where we store three king size quilts and four pillows it also leaves about another 12 to 18 inches of space (depending on how well i fold the quilts) I feel that this space is far better than having a sky light, we already have a large opening vent.
personally, I feel the old design is a lot more practical for camping than the new one, in fact Auto Sleeper reintroduce the classic version because the demand was there, I don't know if it is still produced? if not I wouldn't buy the new model as it seems to me as more style over substance, built for the showroom?
But of course, that is just my opinion and it doesn't really count for much, lol
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 am

breakaleg wrote:Hi.
yes we have the locker above the cab, where we store three king size quilts and four pillows it also leaves about another 12 to 18 inches of space (depending on how well i fold the quilts) I feel that this space is far better than having a sky light, we already have a large opening vent.
personally, I feel the old design is a lot more practical for camping than the new one, in fact Auto Sleeper reintroduce the classic version because the demand was there, I don't know if it is still produced? if not I wouldn't buy the new model as it seems to me as more style over substance, built for the showroom?
But of course, that is just my opinion and it doesn't really count for much, lol
Pete
I agree except for the gas tank which is a definite bonus. But the old waste tank with the.slide valve at the bottom actually emtied the tsnk. What genius (?) decided that it would be good to put the drsin pipe an inch above the bottom of the tsnk?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:58 pm

inspiredron wrote:We hsve a 2012 Lancashire built on a 2011 body. Why? Because for 2012 the overcab locker was replaced by a skylight and the wet locker below the nearside bed locker was omitted. We could not manage without either of those. For 2013 the wet locker has been reinstated and the overcab locker is an option instead of the skylight. Also there is now a gas tank underneath which should release extra space in the offside bed locker. We love our Lancashire. It drives very well and because of the short wheelbase it turns on a sixpence. We have 2 very bad criticisms. The CA1000 aircon is USELESS.  It does not have enough power and the currently fitted Freshjet 1100 would be equally bad. I hope that we have now solved the other problem of waste tank contents coming up into the shower tray on left hand bends!  Sadly A/S fit the waste pipes into the sides of the tank without smell traps or non return valves. That has now been rectified but has yet to be testef in practice. It looks as if the aircon problem may go to a "not fit for purpose" case as Dometic don't want to know. Their latest suggestion is to remove the unit and send it to Italy for testing leaving a hole in the roof!
You may want to get them to omit the outside shower point at nearside rear - the pipes take up useful cupboard space beside the safe which is ideal for wine or oil bottles. I have no problems with the Whale water filling,  though it WILL be vrry difficult if it ever goes wrong. A/S will fit a conventional filler cap but only as an extra and not as a substitute so you lose some locker space. The fan heater is very quiet so is not a disadvantage over the earlier convector. Hopefully it is still under the wardrobe - on the Brosdway it sits in the offside bed locker taking up useful storage. We have not changed the handing of the oven door.
2013 models have less substantial lockers than ours with skeleton separators rather than solid ends which will allow contents to drift.
I hope that this helps with your decision.

very interesting, it does seem strange that when a new model comes out , you would expect improvements, and with anything that goes wrong you would expect A/S to repair,replace with no fuss what so ever. Word of mouth is arguably the best form of sales or getting people interested in a vehicle and although I still feel the Nuevo is the one for me, it does get me thinking that, maybe most main dealers are more concerned with the sale and not bothered with aftersales despite selling products which use up most if not all your savings. i am really looking forward to going to the NEC and asking about various concerns about what have been mentioned. Its all well and good creating new ways of doing stuff ie water filling but as you say if it goes wrong, what is the cost? !! hopefully will still be under warranty !!..
cheers Robin
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Before you go to the NEC you need to make some decisions or you will go round in circles. A few of the questions:

Is new essential or would you rather have a van a couple of years old that better matches your needs?

Do you plan to use the van more than a night at a time OFF EHU, if so electricity consumption is an issue.

Leisure batteries, one or two?

Solar panel, yes or no?

Truma combi - always needs electricity; Trumatic Fire - doesn't.

Internal water tanks yes/no?

Economy of fixed gas tank or flexibility of cylinders?

Shower in the van yes/no/sometimes?

TV? Satellite? (roof space and power). Where do you want to watch the TV from?

Where will you store bedding? Chairs? A luton is a great glory hole and more effective than add on boxes (always said I wouldn't have one - big mistake later rectified).

Comfortable driving position - for both!!

Etc, etc, etc.

In all of this ferry costs are insignificant. It is expensive and very inconvenient to store the van away from home. Is the Broadway really too long?

Sorry to be brief but preparing for a few weeks away.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Good sense, Peter - just a couple of comments.
I don't see what extra flexibilty you get with gas cylinders, I would reckon a tank is better any day as you neednever run out, particularly in Europe.  Although cylinders give the option of swapping to butane, I am not sure of the advantage, even though I used butane for 40 years before moving to propane recently.  On the heater question,  the combi omly needs 12v so that is no problem. Much less power than a TV. On solar panel, we don't have one and I reckon that the standard 30w one fitted by A/S is under-specced. You would have to pay the upgrade to 80w, so factor that in.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:17 am

Hi,
Given the choice again, I would have fitted a under slung gas tank instead of refillable's, I did ask a year back at auto sleeper service centre, but they said it couldn't be done, not to be deterred I then got Conrad Anderson to take a look, first they said yes and quoted me £700.00, I wasn't going to pay that amount as the van is 6 years old and I tend to change vans at 10 years, but within about 20 seconds, he said or more like £800.00.
So I have stopped as I am. for me £800.00 was a lot to gain a locker that I have lived without for 6 years.hugegrins 

No van is perfect but I would prefer to have the large over cab locker than the new window, there seems a lot of fitted items on new vans that are detrimental to actually using your van.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:07 am

breakaleg wrote:, there seems a lot of fitted items on new vans that are detrimental to actually using your van.
Pete
I'd go along with that.   My particular gripe is that when the ignition is turned on the habitation electrics are turned off.   So when you stop for a comfort break you have to turn them back on.   Not such a big problem unless, as often is with old men like me, the need is urgent.   At these times I find myself in the toilet, relieved but without a light, the electric flush toilet won't work and you can't wash your hands because the water pump is off.    My dread is that the next 'improvement' will be an electrically operated toilet lid - then I will really be in trouble!

Strange that a system can be designed to switch the electric off but not back on again...
Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2 ES

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next