The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sigma Inbuilt Awning

+8
ubuntu1
grasscutter
nzowner
burlingtonboaby
roli
pat and jim
CC
shelldrake
12 posters

Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty Sigma Inbuilt Awning

Post by shelldrake Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:58 pm

The awning rewinds back into the side of the vehicle and is flush with the side.
However it seems to have dropped and when winding IN it snags on the small fixture that it is supossed to ride up on and then to drop it into the locking recess.
I have to lift it over this fixture with a broom before it drops into the catch and can be secured
Everything appears OK and the arms are secure etc.
anyone had this problem and if so have you any tips
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty Re: Sigma Inbuilt Awning

Post by CC Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Your recessed omnistor Sigma awning will be the same as fitted on our Nuevo so interested to know the cause of this as well Shelldrake.... I guess your awning still pops out suddenly as you wind it out at the start, and pop in when you wind it back in? it's like it's sprung loaded or has some kind of mechanism that makes it jump out suddenly after the first couple of cranks of the winding handle, is yours still doing this out of interest?

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty Yup

Post by shelldrake Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 pm

yes Exactly as you stated But WHY???
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Back to top Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty Re awning

Post by pat and jim Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi Shelldrake We have a sigma ek .Bought in August only had the awning out once on rewinding it pulled in more in the middle than the ends .It seams to lokate into spring clips on each end hence it springs in and out When the wether gets better I wil have a closer look to try and sort it out. Jim think_smiley_46
pat and jim
pat and jim

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : sigma ek
Vehicle Year : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 pm

Ours (same as Sigma) was a pain and I had a look at it when both Marquis and AS failed to sort. All the working parts seemed to be working but the front end had got a load of muck in it as there wasnt proper end protection. Cleaning did help a little but the jerking start and the need to check its rehoused after winding wasnt cured. I think these Omnister built in jobbies are not up top to the same quality standard as say the add on Fiammas.

I wonder if Ubuntu1 could help cos I recon these guys who work on motorhomes must have come across this problem with these Omnister units
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty Re-Sigma and Nuevo recessed awning

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi Shelldrake and CC
My last visit to A/S was to attach ALKO airtops and re-locate the hinge pin that had migrated out from its location next to the winding mechanism.
If your pins are still in place on either side, It could be the cables need adjusting to bring up the height of the fold out arms.
The adjustment should be enough to bring the front up level to re-locate the awning into the recess.
If you check with Mark at A/S, CC, he should be able to tell you what nut to adjust inside the recess at each end of the awning.this should give you adjustment up or down.
I hope this makes sense. up!

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by nzowner Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 am

Hello Shelldrake. I have exactly the same problem on my 2009 Sigma. Popped out on a recent trip after just the third use from new. My cursory inspection concluded that the plastic cover had warped because not enough attachment screws to keep it firm. Was led to this conclusion because of water ingress in that area, still to be investigated more closely. So will be eagerly watching responses to your thread.
Regards, nzowner.
nzowner
nzowner

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 am

Sorry if I've caused any confusion but our awning works perfectly....

Was just trying to find out if shelldrakes sprung release worked as its this action that I wondered could be the cause for him having to help it in by lifting with a broom when winding it in up! ours winds in so far, then springs up then drops back down in position and about a 1/4 of a turn on the handle fully locks it into the body.

I personally think the quality of the ominstor awning is actually superior to the fiamma units, it's a lot less flimsy and much better made in my experience of using both shrugg

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by grasscutter Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 am

While this thread is running can I ask if anyone has the problem of withdrawing the winding handle from the socket. It looks a simple T bar that should just pull out by twisting a 1/2 turn in the reverse direction but I have spent more than 5 minutes on occasion trying to extricate it, no doubt providing entertainment for others on the site. G
grasscutter
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 pm

grasscutter wrote:While this thread is running can I ask if anyone has the problem of withdrawing the winding handle from the socket. It looks a simple T bar that should just pull out by twisting a 1/2 turn in the reverse direction but I have spent more than 5 minutes on occasion trying to extricate it, no doubt providing entertainment for others on the site. G

Found it a struggle at the beginning as I read on here about pushing it or pulling it to release it, but I've found a slight back and forth motion like a wiggle is enough for it to just release and lift away... not sure if its the correct method but it seems to work for me.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by grasscutter Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks CC, I'll try a gentler wiggle. The trouble is the longer it takes the more violent my wiggle becomes. G
grasscutter
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty Re awning

Post by pat and jim Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi G .I had the same problem with winding Handel Found it seamed to come out easier when I lifted it as high as I can to lessen the angel Don't know if this was luck or shrugg
pat and jim
pat and jim

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sigma ek
Vehicle Year : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by grasscutter Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks P & J, So next time its a very high gentle wiggle. I'm just beginning some stretching exercises.G
grasscutter
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty Re-Sigma recess awning

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm

A wee bit of Vaseline on the end of the winding handle works for me. up!
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty Handle

Post by shelldrake Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 pm

It looks like we all have had the same problem withdrawing the handle/ the amount of swear words that I have uttered are uncountable. censored! Patience does it
Will be contacting Mark at A/S as I find he is very helpful and hopefully sort the problem out/ thanks for all your comments thats what this forum is all about allthumbz
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Back to top Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty sigma awning

Post by ubuntu1 Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Back to the original post. Does the awning feel properly sprung when winding in and out or when it goes back in does it feel floppy?

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:35 pm

This thread has been a good read.
I too have entertained half the campsite watching me pirouette around trying to remove the awning handle.

Did I see someone suggest than there is an adjustment one can make to stop the awning from exploding out of the casing after the first couple of turns.
Mine also makes an awfull clanking noise as it comes out.
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuevo Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:09 pm

I think this is normal but I could be wrong

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:19 am

I have not yet had much experience with my Lancashire Omnistor but I had 10 years worth with the one on my Hymer - plant on, not recessed.
1. The Clunk out is normal. A clunk in isn't. When my Hymer's one was fitted it was not adjustef very well and clunked in as well as out. For a long time I thought. hat was normal until, one day in Spain it would not wind in fully at one end. It was only sticking out 1cm but not latching at that end. I carefully exakined the arms and realised that their attacments to the outer bar (the bit yiu can see when it is wound in) were not the same distance from the 2 ends. After I had adjudted them evenly the awning closed silently and evenly but still clunked after a turn or so as it snaps free from the retaining catches.
2. Releasing the winder handle IS a knack. You must push the handle into the socket, then turn it a quarter turn (I think anti-clockwise) when it will drop out of its slot easily. Similarly, when inserting the handle, put it into the slot - turn qusrter turn clockwise and allow it to drop into the "locked" position before starting to wind.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 am

I have not yet had much experience with my Lancashire Omnistor but I had 10 years worth with the one on my Hymer - plant on, not recessed.
1. The Clunk out is normal. A clunk in isn't. When my Hymer's one was fitted it was not adjustef very well and clunked in as well as out. For a long time I thought. that was normal until, one day in Spain it would not wind in fully at one end. It was only sticking out 1cm but not latching at that end. I carefully exakined the arms and realised that their attacments to the outer bar (the bit yiu can see when it is wound in) were not the same distance from the 2 ends. After I had adjusted them evenly the awning closed silently and evenly but still clunked after a turn or so as it snaps free from the retaining catches
2. Releasing the winder handle IS a knack. You must push the handle into the socket, then turn it a quarter turn (I think anti-clockwise) when it will drop out of its slot easily. Similarly, when inserting the handle, put it into the slot - turn qusrter turn clockwise and allow it to drop into the "locked" position before starting to wind. (My clockwise and anti-clockwise maybbe reversed but the principle holds).

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:04 pm

The one on our Worcester did exactly the same, had to lift it back in over the catch and when out it was slightly down one end. Marquis Plymouth called the rep to have a look and fixed instantly, one of the pins had either come loose or fallen out so now fixed.... Haven't used it since though apart from trying it. There is probab;ly a good reason they now fit the top mounted ones though I have to say I still prefer the flush fit!

As to the handle I find keep it high and treat it gently but agree it is fiddly to get out.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Sigma Inbuilt Awning Empty Sorted

Post by shelldrake Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:01 pm

mailed Mark a few weeks ago and his advice sorhed the problem.
I unwound the awning and using an allen key, loostened the arm at the front of the awning. I slipped it an inch to the left which seemd to raise the front and it now slips in quite easily now. allthumbz
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:56 am

Have to say Mark, Alyson and the team at Plymouth have always been very good to us up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down