The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sigma external storage

4 posters

Go down

Sigma external storage Empty Sigma external storage

Post by shelldrake Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:34 pm

The only thing that I dislike about my Sigma are that the external storeage/gas locker lids are hinged at the top and are constantly dropping down on my head or hand lol4 NOT & I have to prop them up with a forked stick. Annoying!
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Sigma external storage Empty Exterior storage door securing

Post by Geoffrey A. Mason Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Yes likewise with my Windsor!!! I too have to prop them open following s series of bumps and cuts to head and face!! The catches on both sides and door are very poor. I also have a problem with the external locker on the nearside underneath. This has 3 hinges, the first of which (closest to the passenger door) has dropped, there seems no way of adjusting the hinge to prevent this, hinges are secured by pop rivets, think the hinge probably wants replacing, the left hand lock is difficult to lock on this side as the flap drops down a little. Any body any ideas???
Geoffrey A. Mason

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Windsor

Back to top Go down

Sigma external storage Empty Re: Sigma external storage

Post by grasscutter Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi, When I mentioned this loose latches problem to my Biker brother-in-law last year he suggested trying something he had just picked up at a Show. It is now readily available at local Motor Factors and probably elsewhere and is called Q-Bond. It is a super glue based product aimed at on the go repairs for hairline cracks or joins in Fairings or components in plastic or metal. The important thing is that the substance mixed into the superglue is a metal powder, or more meaningfully, an ultra fine grit that retains its shape integrity if dusted onto a smear of the glue base. You will hopefully see by now where I'm going. I applied the thinnest smear of the supplied glue to the one female lip of the catch and the lightest application of the powder onto that. It narrowed the aperture fractionally and added a little friction too and the locker hasn't dropped since. I am expecting at some stage to need another application as some wear must occur from the abrasive property of the powder but it has certainly done the trick so far.
The downsides! The two powders included are black and grey, no white, but it is a pale grey and the insignificant amount is hidden anyway when the catch is closed, which is nearly always. The pack costs about £12 and includes the powders and 2 tubes of glue so if you are allowed access to the freezer it should last the life of the van.
grasscutter
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 pm

Surely for the sake of £3-£4 it's easier to just replace the catch if they are worn shrugg

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by grasscutter Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi CC I'm no good with a riveter and i suspect neither are Shelldrake or Geoffrey. It's just that what was at the time a temporary quick fix stood the test of time. G
grasscutter
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sigma

Back to top Go down

Sigma external storage Empty What £12

Post by shelldrake Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:17 pm

£12 to fix a lid that drops on my head and me a poor pensioner!!! I'll just have to stick with the stick!!LOL will have look as suggested
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down