The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Map holder /clip board on Dashboard

5 posters

Go down

Map holder /clip board on Dashboard Empty Map holder /clip board on Dashboard

Post by Jules 132 Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 pm

Hi 
I have a 2013 Autosleeper Dorset, Peugeot Boxer and there is a clipboard/map holder on the dashboard. Does this lift up? I had one on a 2018 Elddis 196 which did but was very stiff.  I don’t want to force this on the Dorset in case it’s not meant to lift and I break it.
Jules 132
Jules 132

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Map holder /clip board on Dashboard Empty Re: Map holder /clip board on Dashboard

Post by Paulmold Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 pm

This has been asked many times and nobody can give a definite answer. As you say you don't want to force it. Some say the airbag is underneath so you wouldn't want to force that . My 2010 doesn't lift up - or does it?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

rgermain and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Map holder /clip board on Dashboard Empty Re: Map holder /clip board on Dashboard

Post by Mike187 Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:29 pm

In my vehicle manual it states that if your vehicle has a front passenger air bag then the the writing table can’t be lifted, found that having spent some time trying to lift it before resorting to reading the manual.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 pm

I replaced the non-lifting clipboard in a 2015 Boxer with a lifting version bought off eBay as an original part. There was no airbag and it was a straightforward swap. I believe it’s quite random as to which version is fitted.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules 132 Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:25 am

Thank you everyone, I’ll double check regarding the passenger airbag and investigate the manual again. Although why would an airbag make a difference when the document holder is in the centre of the dash above the radio?
Jules 132
Jules 132

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules 132 Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:27 am

Kemerton-bath wrote:I replaced the non-lifting clipboard in a 2015 Boxer with a lifting version bought off eBay as an original part. There was no airbag and it was a straightforward swap. I believe it’s quite random as to which version is fitted.

Tim
Thanks Tim. If mine doesn’t lift I’ll do some research although I wouldn’t be able to replace it myself and am sure it would be a hefty charge for a garage to do it for me!
Jules 132
Jules 132

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:46 am

I looked at changing my fixed clipboard for one of several flat recessed plastic trays that are available. I haven’t got round to doing anything yet but as I recall on my Boxer you have to remove the radio in order to access the screws holding the clipboard. The radio is (again as I recall) released by poking something long and thin (like pipe cleaners) into the four holes on the face of the radio to release the clips. It may be that by sliding out the radio you might be able to see what you have underneath.

This is the sort of thing I was looking at:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The listing of compatible vehicles may provide a clue as to whether there is space for something else to be fitted.

It also springs to mind that the location of air bags is normally marked clearly. My van has an air bag notice on the lower left corner of the panel under the near side dash storage box, so presumably the passenger air bag is under there. I can’t see any marking anywhere around the central radio.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules 132 Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 pm

Well I’ve looked and I definitely have a passenger airbag so according to the manual my document holder shouldn’t lift up. But, it did in my Elddis 196 which also had a passenger airbag and was a Peugeot Boxer! 
So, the next question is, as I don’t have anyone who could fit a lifting one as Tim did, does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can secure my ipad to the dash when I want to use it as a SatNav?
Jules 132
Jules 132

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules 132 Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:36 pm

The Bargee wrote:I looked at changing my fixed clipboard for one of several flat recessed plastic trays that are available. I haven’t got round to doing anything yet but as I recall on my Boxer you have to remove the radio in order to access the screws holding the clipboard. The radio is (again as I recall) released by poking something long and thin (like pipe cleaners) into the four holes on the face of the radio to release the clips. It may be that by sliding out the radio you might be able to see what you have underneath.

This is the sort of thing I was looking at:

The listing of compatible vehicles may provide a clue as to whether there is space for something else to be fitted.

It also springs to mind that the location of air bags is normally marked clearly. My van has an air bag notice on the lower left corner of the panel under the near side dash storage box, so presumably the passenger air bag is under there. I can’t see any marking anywhere around the central radio.
Same here, airbag on passenger side as per your vehicle. Why on earth would that affect a pull up document holder!  confused3
Jules 132
Jules 132

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:53 pm

I would expect an airbag to be present in the mid section of the dash only if the van had been fitted with a double passenger seat, as is the case for work vans. AS will have specified a single passenger seat for their vehicles so it would be odd if your van has one. All the evidence seems to suggest it’s quite random whether or not a pull-out clipboard is fitted.

I realise you don’t plan to fit one yourself but you might find the YouTube clip in the thread linked below informative, if only to reduce the risk of being ripped off by a garage that tries to claim it’s 3 hours labour! It took me no more than half an hour to swap them over.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules 132 Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am

Kemerton-bath wrote:I would expect an airbag to be present in the mid section of the dash only if the van had been fitted with a double passenger seat, as is the case for work vans. AS will have specified a single passenger seat for their vehicles so it would be odd if your van has one. All the evidence seems to suggest it’s quite random whether or not a pull-out clipboard is fitted.

I realise you don’t plan to fit one yourself but you might find the YouTube clip in the thread linked below informative, if only to reduce the risk of being ripped off by a garage that tries to claim it’s 3 hours labour! It took me no more than half an hour to swap them over.

Tim

That’s a great video, thank you Tim.  allthumbz
Jules 132
Jules 132

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:32 am

I was having a mess about with the dash clipboard last night as part of a grander plan.

I was told on purchase of the van that the clipboard did not open because there was an air bag behind it, and I for one could not find how to open it, if it would.

The answer on my van is that it does open. Simply open the paper clip bar, lift the bar gently but firmly upward and voila! It opens! The paper clip bar is also the catch.

Not that I want it to open up because I consider the clip board to be a dangerous obstruction to the view forward!

My grand plan was to create a storage tray where the clip board fits and then also move the rear view camera down to that area. The rear view camera, or even just the standard rear view mirror, are also a serious impediment to a clear view in a van which is not blessed with good visibility from the cab. I also keep banging my head on the "mirror" as I move to and from the cab.

So I set about removing the clipboard to examine the opotions. I will continue in a dedicated thread.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Cymro, Jules 132 and jwells like this post

Back to top Go down