The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2.2 Hdi Engine problem

+7
Steve_atk
dandywarhol
inspiredron
Sunbeampizza
johndean
Tinwheeler
TimShaw
11 posters

Go down

2.2 Hdi Engine problem Empty 2.2 Hdi Engine problem

Post by TimShaw Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:02 pm

Last weekend I set off in our 2008 Nuevo (28000 miles) and stopped after 10 miles to fill up with diesel.  After paying at the pump the engine refused to start.  Turned over fine and attempted to run but wouldn't.  I waited 5 minutes.  Engine started but with an engine warning light on the dashboard.  I drove quarter of a mile approx then engine died.  Would not restart.  Waited for recovery.  When they arrived, engine started immediately.  Drove 200 yards to layby - no problem.  Engine run for 5 minutes idling without issue.  Recovery tried to connect to engine management interface but would not connect to his device.  Set off again with recovery following.  Engine died again after about another quarter mile.  Recovered to garage who could not look at it for a day or two.  When they did no problem could be found.  No engine management light and no fault history from ECU.  Test drove for many miles - no problem.

Absolutely frustrating as I can now no longer trust this engine without a clear indication of what happened.  What would you do?

It sounds like fuel starvation issue doesn't it?  Dirt/water in fuel stirred up by filling it up?  But why no ECU history?

Any suggestions very welcome...
TimShaw
TimShaw

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

2.2 Hdi Engine problem Empty Re: 2.2 Hdi Engine problem

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:53 pm

Have you searched for a forum or info dedicated to the Peugeot/Fiat base vehicle? It might prove useful if this is an issue common to the vehicle rather than the AS conversion.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

2.2 Hdi Engine problem Empty Engine failure intermittently

Post by johndean Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:18 pm

Hi
I have never come across this fault with a Peugeot van during my time as consultant technical engineer at Peugeot but I did come across it with  Peugeot 306 diesel ( new vehicle ) I was asked to investigate the problem by a dealer it turned out to be a connector ( poor connection) inside the vehicle on a large connector which contained the wiring  for the diesel pump inside the fuel tank, remake the terminals in the connector and cured the problem, we had a few more cases of same problem on other Peugeot 306’s.
It just similar to your problem.
John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : !2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunbeampizza Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:49 pm

My Nuevo lost power three months ago and the engine warning light came on and it went into limp mode causing chaos behind me. Incredibly I had motored 150 miles and this happened less than half a km from our site so I got there and called Green Flag out. They connected a fault finder which said a fault code 201 which was involved the number one injector. He stripped out the covers, examined it, but said no fault could be found and this type of thing happens all the time. He cleared the light and no problem has materialised but this has left a sour taste and I shall worry every trip now. I say this because, like Timsure, I cannot trust it.
Sunbeampizza
Sunbeampizza

Male

Member Age : 80
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:17 pm

Until I saw this post I had totally forgotten that the very same thing happ6to me on our very first trip with our Nuevo. We had driven to Croatia and been down as far as Split including several islands. We left a site about 50 miles S of Rijeka on our way home when the engine went into limp mode and then died. After s few minutes it restarted and I was able to drive to s Peugeot garage in Rijeka. They were brilliant even though it was the first Euro 5 2.2 they had seen. They put it through diagnostics and sent the result to Zagreb. Two hours later they told me that Zagreb were mystified . I was given the option of waiting 3 days for a Zagreb technician to come out or to head home in hope, knowing that if it recurred I was nearer home and also in Germany where the knowledge base might be greater. I opted for the latter and the issue has never recurred in over 10 years.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:14 pm

When was the fuel filter last changed? Is there a possibility of cold conditions freezing any water in the fuel filter housing with wind chill factor? There might not be enough water in the chamber to trigger the water warning light but enough to cause a blockage

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve_atk Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:19 pm

I had a similar problem with mine, turned out to be a problem with dirt in the mass airflow sensor. This was cleaned and the problem has cleared up
Steve
Steve_atk
Steve_atk

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

frederic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:05 pm

Dirty MAFs intrigue me. Surely the air has to go through the filter before it gets to the MAF and therefore the MAF shouldn't get dirty?
Unless the engine oil breather feeds into the inlet system after the filter and before the MAF? I think that was the problem with my granddaughter's 130,000 mile Polo. Engine light on, fault code said faulty air sensor, I removed it and sprayed it with brake cleaner, replaced it, deleted the code and the EML stayed off. Sold the car - but the worn engine would probably dirty the sensor again.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:38 pm

gassygassy wrote:Dirty MAFs intrigue me. Surely the air has to go through the filter before it gets to the MAF and therefore the MAF shouldn't get dirty?
Unless the engine oil breather feeds into the inlet system after the filter and before the MAF? I think that was the problem with my granddaughter's 130,000 mile Polo. Engine light on, fault code said faulty air sensor, I removed it and sprayed it with brake cleaner, replaced it, deleted the code and the EML stayed off. Sold the car - but the worn engine would probably dirty the sensor again.

Usually the case of breather oil affecting it. You were fortunate that cleaning the MAF sorted it - usually needs a replacement MAF.

Perhaps the original poster could have the decency to report back to some of the questions asked to try to help.........................

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:15 pm

dandywarhol wrote:
Perhaps the original poster could have the decency to report back to some of the questions asked to try to help.........................
Hasn't signed into the forum since the minute he posted the question.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:01 pm

Paulmold wrote:

Hasn't signed into the forum since the minute he posted the question.
Paul that is quite astonishing.Maybe he got it fixed somehow and that was that.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:29 am

It couldn’t have been much of a problem. Let’s move on then and not waste our time.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:55 am

Bobskate wrote:
Paul that is quite astonishing.Maybe he got it fixed somehow and that was that.
He could have visited without signing in but would only get access to some sections, not all.

Last edited by Paulmold on Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

2.2 Hdi Engine problem Empty 2.2 Hdi Engine problem - SOLVED

Post by TimShaw Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:25 am

I have just had the vehicle back from the garage (I had told them there was no rush)  They had finally managed to replicate the problem after a number of test drives without issue.  This generated quite a number of ECU codes which they then had to work through to find which one was the root cause.  The problem appears to have been caused by water ingress into the area under the n/s headlamp unit where, according to them, there is a significant wiring loom which also serves a number of engine related connections - sorry I'm not technically minded enough to understand all these in detail.  Their view is that the headlamp unit was poorly sealed and collecting water which was then sloshing out over the wiring loom.  Anyway it all appears to be OK now - but I will be replacing the headlamp unit asap.

I have been following this thread closely - for those who are baffled by this it is entirely possible to read this without logging in.  Thanks to all who made helpful and constructive suggestions which I passed on the the mechanics at the time.
TimShaw
TimShaw

Other / Decline to state

Vehicle Year : 2008

dandywarhol, Paulmold, Tinwheeler and gassygassy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:41 am

I don’t think anyone is baffled as we’re all reasonably intelligent but we felt as if we were talking to the wall as there was no response at all from you. Anyway, I hope your problem is solved and look forward to further contributions from you.  up!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:28 am

As you were waiting for a response from your garage I find your lack of earlier response entirely understandable. Please don't allow the apparent tone of some of the responses put you off revisiting.  Every problem reported here and particularly any solutions that are found help others to address issues that they encounter.
I joined this forum several months before taking delivery of my van and learned much from it before even havingtha van as well as from the problems that I have encountered over the last eleven years.  In setting out the way forward, as you have, I hope that I may have fone my bit in helping others.
So thank you for coming back with your report of whatthe garage found.
Happy Christmas

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:26 pm

TimShaw
The wiring has a lot of problems in the area as you had .this is a reason for the extra drain hole and pipe needid on the 250 model below the screen and a mod I do to stop the water going on the wiring and electrics in that area. This is shown on my kemerton xl improvement post. I have done lots of repairs to wiring in that area from my time in the trade and is the reason for my mod
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:48 am

You think that's bad? Just wait till you look under the bonnet of a current Transit. I had one on a Chausson, (but only for two months before I traded it). The screen water is deliberately targeted on to the engine ECU connector plug. See photo, I hope!
The remedy is to fit two washing machine drain hoses to the underside of the scuttle, take the hoses down to in front of the wheels. No more soaked electrics waiting to give someone a £2000 bill.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:14 pm

TimShaw wrote:I have just had the vehicle back from the garage (I had told them there was no rush)  They had finally managed to replicate the problem after a number of test drives without issue.  This generated quite a number of ECU codes which they then had to work through to find which one was the root cause.  The problem appears to have been caused by water ingress into the area under the n/s headlamp unit where, according to them, there is a significant wiring loom which also serves a number of engine related connections - sorry I'm not technically minded enough to understand all these in detail.  Their view is that the headlamp unit was poorly sealed and collecting water which was then sloshing out over the wiring loom.  Anyway it all appears to be OK now - but I will be replacing the headlamp unit asap.

I have been following this thread closely - for those who are baffled by this it is entirely possible to read this without logging in.  Thanks to all who made helpful and constructive suggestions which I passed on the the mechanics at the time.
Good result!

That area (as previously mentioned) in the left corner is a a problem area on these and generally due to water ingress at the tightest bit of the wiring loom. Most common issues are cooling fan issues, charging light issues but it's the first i've heard of it causing the problem you had. 
Good for the garage - hang onto them, sounds like they know more than the usual main dealer "plug in the computer and you replace every component til it sorts it" method of working.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down