Engine Oil

Go down

Engine Oil Empty Engine Oil

Post by kenmarch on Sun May 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi there,

I have an Autosleeper:

Harmony
2002
Diesel
45000 miles


Which engine oil should I be using.? There seem to be so many to choose from!

Thank you in anticipation,



Ken
kenmarch
kenmarch
New Member
New Member

Male

Posts : 4
Joined : 2019-05-26
Location : Macclesfield
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by raymondo on Sun May 26, 2019 2:29 pm

you have omitted the most important bit of information - what engine is it, (model, size, turbo or not)
raymondo
raymondo
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 290
Joined : 2013-04-06
Member Age : 63
Location : northern Ireland
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by Mrgeoffrey on Sun May 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Go to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pop your reg number in the vehicle box and it should give you the right grade and various options of brand choice. For me in the recent past I've used Shell which when on offer seems as cheap as any and obviously is a major brand, others will have their own favourites.


Last edited by Mrgeoffrey on Sun May 26, 2019 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fix link again)
Mrgeoffrey
Mrgeoffrey
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 113
Joined : 2017-07-26
Member Age : 58
Location : Devon
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by Bobmac on Sun May 26, 2019 3:27 pm

Okie oils always use them first class service.
Bobmac
Bobmac
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 39
Joined : 2012-03-14
Member Age : 78
Location : West Sussex
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by Tinwheeler on Sun May 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Your base vehicle handbook should tell you the grade of oil, Ken.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 301
Joined : 2018-09-20
Location : South West
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by Libraryman2 on Sun May 26, 2019 8:23 pm

Mrgeoffrey wrote:Go to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pop your reg number in the vehicle box and it should give you the right grade and various options of brand choice. For me in the recent past I've used Shell which when on offer seems as cheap as any and obviously is a major brand, others will have their own favourites.

I tried this link for my vehicle, unfortunately they stock it...0/30 Ineo first..or an equivalent ..grrr

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 597
Joined : 2016-03-03
Member Age : 66
Location : Blythe Bridge Staffordshire
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by inspiredron on Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Interestingly my 2012 Euro V Puegeot 2.2 has 5W 30 Total Ineo recommended.  I found it at under £23 for 5 litres on Ebay and it came nexr day!  Perfect!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is the link.

_________________
Best wishes - Ron
inspiredron
inspiredron
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2208
Joined : 2012-06-02
Member Age : 78
Location : Carshalton
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by Roopert on Mon May 27, 2019 10:34 am

As Tinwheeler says, the first place to look is in the base van's Owner's Handbook, as that will give grade and, more importantly, the specification that the oil must meet. Don't skimp on the spec, as some engines are very fussy about their oil.
Roopert
Roopert
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 423
Joined : 2019-03-10
Location : South East
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by raymondo on Mon May 27, 2019 11:52 am

 Don't skimp on the spec, as some engines are very fussy about their oil.



Remember you are driving a glorified delivery van not a Ferrari - indeed as delivery vans go motor homes have an easy life.

I think that some VWs can be a bit precious about their oil but generally any reputable make of the appropriate SAE is OK.
raymondo
raymondo
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 290
Joined : 2013-04-06
Member Age : 63
Location : northern Ireland
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by Pete Taylor on Mon May 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Have you noticed that when the price of crude oil drops (massively last week) the cost of engine oil never follows?!!

_________________
Cheers,

Pete.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 627
Joined : 2012-11-12
Member Age : 68
Location : Cheshire
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile http://www.petetaylor.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by rgermain on Mon May 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Stick to what the handbook says, if it states 5-30 C2 then that is it.

What the difference is between C2 and C3 I have no idea.

I hate to think what some garages use.

My old man used to use Castrol commercial sold in glass bottles, but then that was on a Standard 12 with no bits you find on modern vehicles.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 954
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 72
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by raymondo on Mon May 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Have you noticed that when the price of crude oil drops (massively last week) the cost of engine oil never follows?!!



Oil is priced in US$ so any change is price is affected by the UK£ -US$ exchange rate at the minute the pound is weak and the dollar is strong

Although I would guess that very little of the cost of a gallon of engine is come from the price of crude
raymondo
raymondo
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 290
Joined : 2013-04-06
Member Age : 63
Location : northern Ireland
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by Roopert on Mon May 27, 2019 7:03 pm

raymondo wrote:
 Don't skimp on the spec, as some engines are very fussy about their oil.



Remember you are driving a glorified delivery van not a Ferrari - indeed as delivery vans go motor homes have an easy life.

I think that some VWs can be a bit precious about their oil but generally any reputable make of the appropriate SAE is OK.

Indeed - the 2.5l engine fitted to the pre-facelift T5 is half of the V10 engine only used on one or two other vehicles. Using the wrong spec of oil in it is a good way to go about destroying its rather-too-soft camshaft.

But anyway, the best point of reference IMO is to look at what the manufacturer recommends (in the Owner's Handbook) and just use that. Sure, you save money getting cheap oil from Tescos, but new engines are expensive (and in fact IIRC you can no longer get a new R5 engine from VW, even if you wanted to).
Roopert
Roopert
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 423
Joined : 2019-03-10
Location : South East
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Engine Oil C1, C2, C3. The meaning of.

Post by gonromin on Mon May 27, 2019 7:22 pm

rgermain wrote:Stick to what the handbook says, if it states 5-30 C2 then that is it.

What the difference is between C2 and C3 I have no idea.

I hate to think what some garages use.

My old man used to use Castrol commercial sold in glass bottles, but then that was on a Standard 12 with no bits you find on modern vehicles.
----------
Richard

Low saps diesel ( sulphated ash, phosphorous sulphur )
For diesel engines fitted with a diesel particulate filter ( DPF) - a filter unit in the exhaust takes out the microscopic soot particles.
Regular diesel oils used in engines that have a DPF can cause the filter to become blocked with ash.
So this performance of C1,2,3, is as follows.


C1 low saps (0.5% ash) fuel efficient.

C2 mid saps (0.8% ash) fuel efficient, performance.

C3 mid saps (0.8 ash )  

Regards Gren..
avatar
gonromin
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 56
Joined : 2013-02-22
Member Age : 71
Location : nottingham
Auto-Sleeper : executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Empty Re: Engine Oil

Post by rgermain on Mon May 27, 2019 9:38 pm

gonromin wrote:
rgermain wrote:Stick to what the handbook says, if it states 5-30 C2 then that is it.

What the difference is between C2 and C3 I have no idea.

I hate to think what some garages use.

My old man used to use Castrol commercial sold in glass bottles, but then that was on a Standard 12 with no bits you find on modern vehicles.
----------
Richard

Low saps diesel ( sulphated ash, phosphorous sulphur )
For diesel engines fitted with a diesel particulate filter ( DPF) - a filter unit in the exhaust takes out the microscopic soot particles.
Regular diesel oils used in engines that have a DPF can cause the filter to become blocked with ash.
So this performance of C1,2,3, is as follows.


C1 low saps (0.5% ash) fuel efficient.

C2 mid saps (0.8% ash) fuel efficient, performance.

C3 mid saps (0.8 ash )  

Regards Gren..

Thank you for explaining the types of oil. up!
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 954
Joined : 2013-11-21
Member Age : 72
Location : Havant
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum