The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Propshaft for Pollensa on Ford Transit Mk5.

3 posters

Go down

Propshaft for Pollensa on Ford Transit Mk5. Empty Propshaft for Pollensa on Ford Transit Mk5.

Post by exmoorcamper1 Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:59 pm

The propshaft has seen better days on our 1999 Mk5 Transit with a Pollensa body.

The shaft still runs smoothly, and doesn't vibrate. But I have taken it off to inspect it, and the sliding splines are completely seized. So I would like to replace it. has anyone else changed theirs, and if so where did you find it. Thanks.

Peter.
exmoorcamper1
exmoorcamper1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Propshaft for Pollensa on Ford Transit Mk5. Empty Re: Propshaft for Pollensa on Ford Transit Mk5.

Post by Toffee Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:57 pm

No idea about a replacement, but there will be lots of businesses that offer repairs and rebalancing. I would imagine if the splines are seized that it’s been transmitting undesirable loads into either the pinion bearing on the diff or the gearbox output shaft. So good to get it sorted.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Propshaft for Pollensa on Ford Transit Mk5. Empty Re: Propshaft for Pollensa on Ford Transit Mk5.

Post by BobK Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:41 am

Peter, if you've reach the stage of having already removed the shaft, surely with a bit of perseverance, the splines could be freed (heat etc) Distant memory as its a while since I did anything with propshafts. Lucky that the universals are intact, as the Fords, from memory, were straked rather than circlips (Hardy Spicers) up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by exmoorcamper1 Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:28 pm

As an update to this thread.

I removed the shaft, dismantled the UJ's, and had the two splined yokes pressed off locally. The 3 sections of the shaft were then shot blasted and powder coated. I sourced the new UJ's and support bearings from Autodoc in Germany. The total cost was around £120. It is now back on the vehicle.

The next job is a new exhaust.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
exmoorcamper1
exmoorcamper1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

BobK and Roopert like this post

Back to top Go down