The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grrr Airbag warning light - again

+5
K & S
burlingtonboaby
Molly3
MelB
gbrchill
9 posters

Go down

Grrr Airbag warning light - again Empty Grrr Airbag warning light - again

Post by gbrchill Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:13 pm

Had the dreaded B0100 failure last week. Sent the Airback controller off the crashdata.co.uk to get it reset. It came back with the report saying that the max battery voltage report of 14.1v was a bit high. Had the motorhome sat on the drive as we have had problems with the leisure battery losing charge, I have now replaced the leisure battery (and fitted a battery monitor so that I can see how it is coping over night). Went to move the motorhome off the drive and now I have the airbag warning light back on. censored! 

I suspect that it will be an over voltage condition again. Looking at the voltage being reported on the EC328 control panel, on this fine sunny day, I see that the leisure battery is at 13.3-13.8v ish and the cab battery is at 13.3-13.8v occasionally peaking up to 14.1 volts. I wonder if the solar controller is doing something odd. So far the correlation between ten days ago and today is the bright sunny day.

I will try to get a replacement unit and then get a breaker fitted on the solar panel feed, so that I can isolate it an kill the solar charging before putting the key in and turning the ignition key. The other option is low voltage as the starter motor cranks, hopefully another battery monitor will be able to spot this, once I fit it.

:( Chris.
gbrchill
gbrchill
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadeway EK LT
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Grrr Airbag warning light - again Empty Re: Grrr Airbag warning light - again

Post by MelB Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:33 pm

Hi Chris any chance with removing the fault code with a OBD code reader? A few months ago my airbag warning light came on the dash. Checked all the electrical connections etc to the airbag, seemed ok, then had the warning light code cancelled at a local garage. Soon after it reappeared. I was fairly certain then the fault was with the ECB [airbag module] and was preparing to send it to crashdata. But first I gave it one more go with the OBD reader and again had the fault code removed with the assistance of an auto-electrician. Since then it has not returned-touch wood. Similar to you I suspect the airbag fault is related to the level of charge, behaviour and activity of the battery. Your consideration of isolating the solar charge, prior to turning on the ignition, to reduce over voltage conditions, seems a good chance of working to me. I have a breaker on my solar panel feed and might just take up your thoughtful idea.

Last edited by MelB on Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:06 pm

Check your manual the sargent bulk charge voltage could be as high 14.4 . I have heard of ecu fail after a flat battery.
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by gbrchill Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:26 pm

The first time it happened, 10 days ago, I had the fault code read by a garage local to the storage site. The B0100 then lead me to send the Airbag ECU off to be reset, since the fault inside that unit is what leads to the B0100. I had had the motorhome charging as I had changed the hab battery and wanted to make sure it was really really full. However I was careful to make sure that the power was off, the cable disconnected and time had passed  before going near the ignition.

The isolation switch for the solar panel feed seems sensible and whilst that is happening also fitting a hab battery isolation switch, so that I don't have to keep taking the terminal off.

Having read around a bit the common consensus is that the van variant of the chassis doesn't have issues. The big difference between van and motorhome has got to be the onboard charger, from mains or solar. If I can rule these out of the picture, by procedure and switching then I may be able to avoid the problem again.

I shall ask, when I get the airbag ECU replaced, to get one of the newer variants and the year's warantee will make me feel more relaxed.
gbrchill
gbrchill
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gbrchill Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:32 pm

Molly3 wrote:Check your manual the sargent bulk charge voltage could be as high 14.4 . I have heard of ecu fail after a flat battery.
When it first happened I brought the battery home and did put it on charge - it seemed absolutely fine. I have a BM6 battery monitor arriving today that I shall put on. The one I fitted to the new hab battery is producing useful data. I spent a while chasing parasitic idle loads, before deciding to replace the hab battery.

From what I have read the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen base has this achilles heal for motorhomes. I'd rather have this than the injector fun that adblue Ford motorhomes appear to be having.

:) Chris.
gbrchill
gbrchill
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gbrchill Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:04 pm

Booked in at the local Peugeot dealer later this month.
gbrchill
gbrchill
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gbrchill Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:30 pm

gbrchill wrote:Booked in at the local Peugeot dealer later this month.
Initial diagostics, by the dealer, indicated that a new airbag ECU is needed. Taking it back in again tomorrow for the replacement to be fitted. Wallet will be made suitably lighter, but at least I shall get the 1 year guarantee.
gbrchill
gbrchill
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:27 am

gbrchill wrote:
Initial diagostics, by the dealer, indicated that a new airbag ECU is needed. Taking it back in again tomorrow for the replacement to be fitted. Wallet will be made suitably lighter, but at least I shall get the 1 year guarantee.

Cost me around the £460 mark last year, worth knowing the airbags will work once the new unit is fitted, I didn't have the time to send unit to crash data ,as I was heading out on tour..
Hope alls well .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by gbrchill Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:01 pm

All done and the most painful part was paying. The red light has gone out and I hope never to be testing the airbags.
gbrchill
gbrchill
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:39 pm

Guy my Peugeot Boxer 2016 Kemerton XL had been layed up for winter (run occasionally and put on ECH when required.)  Just taken it for its MOT and the airbag warning light comes and stays on. Not apparently an MOT failure but thinking:
Will the air bags still work?
Do I really need to get the fault code read (££) as assume it is the airbags module box near the vehicle battery that needs repairing?
Seams a good UTube video about sending it to Crash Data to get it repaired for about £80.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Regards Keith
K & S
K & S

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:24 pm

Just one thought, and could be wrong..

Under each seat, centred on the seat area, is a wire, just a single connector from distant memory, it senses whether anyone is in the seat, meant for the seat belts I think, but it could also send a signal to the airbag system.

I mention it as, if you put something under the seat (as we do with our docs box file) it can catch on this wire...

2 min job to have a look, probably isn't but check anyway... scratch head scratch head scratch head
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Suppersready likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:08 pm

Northern autotech also good for repairing ecu

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:51 pm

A week past Sunday, first trip of the year started with an intermittent airbag warning, after about 15 miles it cleared completely so I was thinking damp. Last Friday we set off again, it was intermittent for a while then came on full time and was the same for the trip home yesterday.

I'm at the NEC for the rest of the week but hopefully my local garage is coming to take a look.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:54 pm

Just an update on this issue. I couldn’t find any obvious loose wiring so sent the airbag relay unit to Crash-Data. They found a fault and returned it "repaired " However after refitting the warning light plus one for Seat belts is still there. Tried refitting etc but no joy. Have sent it back to Crash-Data to see what they say. Has cost me approx £106 so far.
Depending now what happens guess I will need a Peugeot dealership to fix this.
During the winter the vehicle battery failed and I replaced it so guessing this caused the relay error.
Might not be relevant but I am now getting the vehicle total mileage figures now flashing, don’t know if there is a reset for this.
K & S
K & S

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:02 pm

K & S wrote:Just an update on this issue. I couldn’t find any obvious loose wiring so sent the airbag relay unit to Crash-Data. They found a fault and returned it "repaired " However after refitting the warning light plus one for Seat belts is still there. Tried refitting etc but no joy. Have sent it back to Crash-Data to see what they say. Has cost me approx £106 so far.
Depending now what happens guess I will need a Peugeot dealership to fix this.
During the winter the vehicle battery failed and I replaced it so guessing this caused the relay error.
Might not be relevant but I am now getting the vehicle total mileage figures now flashing, don’t know if there is a reset for this.
Google flashing odometer , there are fixes.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:14 am

The flashing odometer is the main ECU telling you that it has lost communication with one of its sub modules. I had mine flashing for the last few weeks while the airbag module was out for repair. It was refitted last night, all alarms clear and odometer no longer flashing.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:21 am

Thanks Peter mine is coming back on Tuesday so hopefully this will sort the flashing issue.
Hopefully the air bag & seat belts lights also, but will see if it does and or what they found the second time Crash Data have had it.
K & S
K & S

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:42 pm

The airbag module was repaired by ECUTESTING in Heanor, Derbyshire.  I did not deal with them directly, the process was handled by the garage owner who looks after my van.  I understand that as well as repairing the unit, they modify it to minimise the likely hood of further failure and warrant the work as seen at the link below.

The work cost £278 inc vat but of course that includes the mechanic testing, removing, replacing and carriage.

All looks good at the moment.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by K & S Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:35 pm

Relay back from Crash Data not sure what they found this time but warning label about "vehicle battery level and holding its charge’"
But new battery and just back from using the vehicle so not aware of any issues with this battery which was new this year. Anyway refitted the relay (after disconnecting the negative battery terminal and leaving it for 5-10 minutes, which is what I did last time) then refitted the relay, all fine this time. Warning light for air bag and seat belt and flashing odometer all out. So for about £106 all appears ok now.
Mystery why it took two attempts to sort.
K & S
K & S

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gbrchill Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:44 pm

K & S wrote:Relay back from Crash Data not sure what they found this time but warning label about "vehicle battery level and holding its charge’"
But new battery and just back from using the vehicle so not aware of any issues with this battery which was new this year. Anyway refitted the relay (after disconnecting the negative battery terminal and leaving it for 5-10 minutes, which is what I did last time) then refitted the relay, all fine this time. Warning light for air bag and seat belt and flashing odometer all out. So for about £106 all appears ok now.
Mystery why it took two attempts to sort.

Fingers crossed for you.
:) Chris
gbrchill
gbrchill
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down