The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You think CAMC are expensive?

+4
v8oholic
rgermain
IanH
Paulmold
8 posters

Go down

You think CAMC are expensive?  Empty You think CAMC are expensive?

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:21 pm

Just read about pitches on sites in Croatia costing up to €150 per night. Thankfully even the CAMC are up there yet but how about these prices at Concierge Camping in Chichester...and many dates are full !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

You think CAMC are expensive?  Empty Re: You think CAMC are expensive?

Post by IanH Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:38 pm

Pub stops for me!

Know you and I differ in preferences, but if I could only use my van in UK it'd be in the sales column that day! Apart from occasional forays it's only UK use is to get to/from a ferry!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

groundhog and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:31 pm

Paulmold wrote:Just read about pitches on sites in Croatia costing up to €150 per night. Thankfully even the CAMC are up there yet but how about these prices at Concierge Camping in Chichester...and many dates are full !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Chap I know went there to see what it was like. Nothing special he reported. 

Cl's for me and I draw the line at £20, as we are self contained and fully charged with Solar. 

I would expect some fancy room service for that price, but we are talking Chichester and the "so called posh bunch" hugegrins

I expect they walk about in silk night ware smile!

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:39 pm

Average price per night for sites with first class, brand new and spotlessly clean facilities in Austria, about half including unmetered electricity, was £18.31. Anything over £20 seems expensive to me.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:38 pm

Chap I know went there to see what it was like. Nothing special he reported. 

Cl's for me and I draw the line at £20, as we are self contained and fully charged with Solar. 

I would expect some fancy room service for that price, but we are talking Chichester and the "so called posh bunch" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I expect they walk about in silk night ware [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Richard

Do they shop in Waitrose in their silk nightware? hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:23 pm

Bilbobaggins wrote:Chap I know went there to see what it was like. Nothing special he reported. 

I would expect some fancy room service for that price, but we are talking Chichester and the "so called posh bunch" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I expect they walk about in silk night ware [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Richard

Do they shop in Waitrose in their silk nightware? hugegrins
I do hugegrins hugegrins
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Angleseygirl, IanH and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:28 pm

Whereas now we have arrived in France we stay in four or five star sites with indoor and outdoor heated swimming pools, immaculately clean shower and loo blocks and large pitches where we are free to pitch in any position or orientation we choose, which with our ACSI discount card cost us the Euro equivalent of between £16 and £18.50 per night including hook up etc. No pre-booking required, leave after however many days you decide and often 7 nights for the price of 6.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

groundhog, RML and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MJF Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:50 am

rogerblack wrote:Whereas now we have arrived in France we stay in four or five star sites with indoor and outdoor heated swimming pools, immaculately clean shower and loo blocks and large pitches where we are free to pitch in any position or orientation we choose, which with our ACSI discount card cost us the Euro equivalent of between £16 and £18.50 per night including hook up etc. No pre-booking required, leave after however many days you decide and often 7 nights for the price of 6.
Very similar experiences at ACSI sites en route to and including Greece with one or two exceptions. We are currently on a pitch about 25 metres from the Med with a quiet pebbly beach for 23 Euro per night, with free wifi, there is also an excellent taverna on site and the loos and showers are perfect. Just booked at the Black Horse site in Folkestone for our return on 26th June for £32, welcome home!

Last edited by MJF on Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info.)
MJF
MJF

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:28 pm

I agree that the cost on the continent is far cheaper than UK but one of the things that unnerved me was I can remember booking into a site in France and rather naïvely asking where I should pitch. “Anywhere” was the slightly puzzled reply. Now that is stress…..having to decide without a warden directing you to a specific pitch…..and if you asked if you could choose another one…..brave.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:44 pm

Bobskate wrote:I agree that the cost on the continent is far cheaper than UK but one of the things that unnerved me was I can remember booking into a site in France and rather naïvely asking where I should pitch. “Anywhere” was the slightly puzzled reply. Now that is stress…..having to decide without a warden directing you to a specific pitch…..and if you asked if you could choose another one…..brave.
Out of 90 odd sites I've stayed at on the other side of the channel, that's only happened twice. The two I’m referring to had no marked pitches, just a large grass area with random electric boxes at various points. Generally though, the pitches are clearly defined and you may get allocated one, or you may get to choose one yourself and tell them which one you’ve picked. I like to choose.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:13 am

Perhaps I should clarify……my point was that you could actually choose  your pitch, whether marked on not, rather that be directed to a particular pitch allocated by the warden.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:24 pm

We usually arrive at a site during the looong French lunchtime reception closed period, which gives Mrs B lots of time to make a full reconnaissance of the site and shortlist the desired pitches, taking into account shade/sun, proximity to loos/showers, water, play areas, inflatables, etc. etc.

Bear in mind though that if you take your van out for the day, it's best to leave a "Pitch Occupied" sign in place.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Angleseygirl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:07 pm

We arrived at a site in France at lunchtime. There must have been 30 vacant pitches and a few people had gathered outside the office to check in when it opened. Everyone was pretty relaxed apart from one Dutchman who would tell anyone prepared to listen that he was going on that pitch……pointing to his wife, sitting dutifully on a chair, surrounded by cables and chocks. Gosh we could have been at the C&CC site at Keswick….now that is a bun fight!
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

rogerblack likes this post

Back to top Go down