The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wing mirror protectors

+7
Nue
Neuvobluebird
groundhog
Caraman
FreelanderUK
inspiredron
P Hoyland
11 posters

Go down

Wing mirror protectors Empty Wing mirror protectors

Post by P Hoyland Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 pm

Hello everyone. We have recently acquired a 2022 Nuevo and want to fit wing mirror protectors. Am I correct in thinking the mirrors are the extended version, and can anyone recommend a make. We have looked at several online and there seems to be a variation in price. Milenco look to be a good choice; any recommendations welcome.

Thanks
P Hoyland
P Hoyland

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Wing mirror protectors Empty Re: Wing mirror protectors

Post by inspiredron Thu May 11, 2023 12:05 am

I had the expensive Mirror guards but one broke revealing how thin they are
 Replaced with Milencos which fit more securely, seem more substantial but lack as much foam padding between guard and Peugeot mirror. They are less than half the price of Mirrorguards.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu May 11, 2023 6:39 am

P Hoyland wrote:Hello everyone. We have recently acquired a 2022 Nuevo and want to fit wing mirror protectors. Am I correct in thinking the mirrors are the extended version, and can anyone recommend a make. We have looked at several online and there seems to be a variation in price. Milenco look to be a good choice; any recommendations welcome.

Thanks

Please introduce yourself here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 11, 2023 7:23 am

Put 'mirror' into the Forum search engine and you will find plenty on it.  I have the more expensive ones and yes they need the long arm on the Nuevo
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu May 11, 2023 9:48 am

A little thread drift but I believe you already have the answer to your question. Keep those arms well greased and the mirrors will do what is intended and fold when something touches them.
We don't have mirror protectors but have been clipped on our Cornish lanes and  every occasion the mirror and housing has just folded as it was designed to do with no damage at all. Get that grease gun out people!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

The Jacobite and Suppersready like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 11, 2023 10:05 am

groundhog wrote:A little thread drift but I believe you already have the answer to your question. Keep those arms well greased and the mirrors will do what is intended and fold when something touches them.
We don't have mirror protectors but have been clipped on our Cornish lanes and  every occasion the mirror and housing has just folded as it was designed to do with no damage at all. Get that grease gun out people!
I agree wholeheartedly but even when lubricated they don't always fold in.  The plastic that Peugeot use on their mirrors fractures quite easily.  I cracked mine a couple of years ago and I didn't even know at the time I had hit anything and the mirror didn't fold.  I think it was a branch sticking out of a hedge.  Fortunately the crack was small but it prompted me to buy Mirrorguards.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

paul bullock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Neuvobluebird Sat May 13, 2023 8:36 am

Have fitted white mirror guards. They are more expensive than some but really good quality .
Neuvobluebird
Neuvobluebird

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Nue Sat May 13, 2023 5:24 pm

Hi, P,
I am just in the process of changing the protectors on my Nuevo, White for black. and shall sell the black ones they are the ones you are looking at and are almost new, no scratches or marks.
If interested then PM me and I will have a chat and sort something out before putting them for sale on the classifieds.
David  Dorset
Nue
Nue
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Robstopaz Sat May 13, 2023 9:59 pm

Just fitted mirror guards to our Stanway after spraying them in White Gold to match the van. Very pleased with the result. Fit is excellent and have also fitted a Stadium wide angle mirror to the top, so just glance sideways rather than looking lower down to the original one.
Rob
Robstopaz
Robstopaz

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun May 14, 2023 7:01 am

groundhog wrote: Keep those arms well greased and the mirrors will do what is intended and fold when something touches them.

What's the best way to lubricate the mirror? I've tried squirting silicone lubricant occasionally into that wafer-thin gap between the base of the mirror housing and the supporting arm, followed by gently swinging the mirror closed and open a few times to spread the lubricant. I wondered about using aerosol white grease instead of silicone, but thought that it might not penetrate as well, and might retain dirt.

Is there a better way and a better lubricant? I have a squeezy plastic tube of ultra-slippery grease (recommended for other purposes on the Forum some years ago) but I can't see how to apply that to the mirror hinge.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Nue likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robstopaz Sun May 14, 2023 8:54 am

Cymro, 
The arms have thin plastic covers on the top side which can be levered up slightly with a small flat bladed screw driver, enough to get the spray can straw in. I used PTFE spray.
Rob
Robstopaz
Robstopaz

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway

Cymro and Nue like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Newvo Sun May 14, 2023 9:55 am

We have just bought the Millenco covers in white on the basis that they are more noticeable to other drivers. Bit aghast at the price but with the grease advice hope to avoid a lot more expense.
Newvo
Newvo
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by P Hoyland Sun May 14, 2023 10:15 am

Nue wrote:Hi, P,
I am just in the process of changing the protectors on my Nuevo, White for black. and shall sell the black ones they are the ones you are looking at and are almost new, no scratches or marks.
If interested then PM me and I will have a chat and sort something out before putting them for sale on the classifieds.
David  Dorset

Morning David,

Thanks for the offer. On the basis of the replies to my question Mirrorguards appeared to be the best option so I ordered a pair. Should have taken my time but planning a trip now that the weather looks better. 

Latecomer
P Hoyland
P Hoyland

Male

Vehicle Year : 2022

Nue likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Mon May 15, 2023 7:34 pm

I've got the Milenco and they seem quite thick and of good quality. I stuck a reflector on the forward face of both sides to give an added 'deterrent to oncoming drivers. Learned my lesson after an oncoming dutch motorhome driver  swiped my mirror off in Glencoe
Apple
Apple
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Newvo and Nue like this post

Back to top Go down