The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LPG fuel availability and solutions

+7
glyne lock
Dbvwt
Paulmold
SteveWr
Tinwheeler
Bilbobaggins
Apple
11 posters

Go down

LPG fuel availability and solutions Empty LPG fuel availability and solutions

Post by Apple Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:29 pm

Greetings all, My AutoSleeper Broadway has an on board LPG tank. I live in Scotland and the availability of service stations with LPG facilities is ever decreasing. Only Morisons the supermarket seems to have a supply and then not consistent.

Is it possible to purchase some sort of adapter to enable me to fill my on board tank from a bottle which ideally I could keep at home and just use to top up between trips.

I would welcome any ideas on the feasibility of this or, indeed, any other solutions that members may have.

Many thanks !
Apple
Apple
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

LPG fuel availability and solutions Empty Re: LPG fuel availability and solutions

Post by Bilbobaggins Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:51 pm

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

LPG fuel availability and solutions Empty Re: LPG fuel availability and solutions

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:22 pm

No, you cannot safely fill a tank from a bottle. 

You can buy a kit which will allow you to use a free standing bottle with the gas flowing via the tank as part of the pipework but not to do as you want.

In short, don’t mess with gas. In the event of a mishap, you would have invalidated your insurance but you may not be around to bother about it😟
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:28 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:No, you cannot safely fill a tank from a bottle. 

You can buy a kit which will allow you to use a free standing bottle with the gas flowing via the tank as part of the pipework but not to do as you want.

In short, don’t mess with gas. In the event of a mishap, you would have invalidated your insurance but you may not be around to bother about it😟
Many thanks Tinwheeler I think I already released the danger involved and you have confirmed it. I'll investigate the use of the kit you suggested. Thanks again
Apple
Apple
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Tinwheeler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:30 pm

Gasit do one but be aware you’d need the bottle stood outside of the van to utilise it.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveWr Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:25 pm

We have a local filling station that has LPG but is often waiting for delivery. There are no other LPG stations within a 30 mile radius. I have seen comments on the internet that LPG will be phased ou in the next couple of years. Does anyone have any information about this
SteveWr
SteveWr

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:33 pm

I very much doubt that. Industry uses LPG as do many domestic users. What will roadworkers and roofers do without LPG? I live on an estate of 70 homes and we all rely on LPG. Ours is just one of many such domestic settings.

We may see an increase in use of LNG but something will be around for many years to come yet.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:35 pm

You'll not find anything to substantiate those 'rumours' they seem to have originated by Honest John and been copied everywhere.  Yes Shell removed pumps (but only from their owned stations, not franchised ones) and Morrisons fuel station owners MFG said they were going to remove them but nothing has happened there. As for lpg being phased out, thousands of hospitals, industry and schools all rely on lpg. Use the apps available,  mylpg, autogasapp and filllpg to find who has stocks and plan your journeys accordingly.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:53 pm

Of course LPG isn’t going anywhere soon but wasn’t SteveWr specifically asking about pumps at filling stations?
I know many of us still have plenty of places to fill up but the 4 sites I used to fill up at have now all gone and others often have no gas.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:39 pm

the SAINSBURYS at j25 m5 always had 2 pumps in full time use but have been removed and was a good price and was good for myself to fill up on my return home .at present I have over 30 min drive to a pump that has stock
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sun May 07, 2023 12:42 pm

Lpg pumps are being removed and being replaced with EV charge points , changing to deisel heating is option , some are increasing sollar and  lIthiam capacity is to become less dependent on lpg   . Lpg cars are a thing of the past , one  local lpg station's was charging £1,30 a litre, Mhome manufacturers are still
Fitting underslung tanks  with no option to carry bottles,, some manufacturers now offer truma deisel heaters as an option to gas ,
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Molly3 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun May 07, 2023 12:56 pm

Loads down here on S Coast. Look at the app.
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sun May 07, 2023 12:56 pm

Molly3 wrote:Lpg pumps are being removed and being replaced with EV charge points , changing to deisel heating is option , some are increasing sollar and  lIthiam capacity is to become less dependent on lpg   . Lpg cars are a thing of the past , one  local lpg station's was charging £1,30 a litre, Mhome manufacturers are still
Fitting underslung tanks  with no option to carry bottles,, some manufacturers now offer truma deisel heaters as an option to gas ,

This is not true

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain and glyne lock like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun May 07, 2023 3:28 pm

I'm fed up of hearing the scaremongering stories about lpg disappearing, do you really think all the manufacturers using underslung tanks are wrong.?

Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain, Dave Gee and glyne lock like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun May 07, 2023 4:38 pm

Brownhills have LPG pump and the CEO of Auto-sleeper briefed us that they are rolling pumps out to the Marquis dealerships.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun May 07, 2023 5:46 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Brownhills have LPG pump and the CEO of Auto-sleeper briefed us that they are rolling pumps out to the Marquis dealerships.
Bit slow with the roll out, I believe Exeter is the only one so far and that was put in a year ago.

Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun May 07, 2023 5:47 pm

I think he said that Durham is imminent, certainly another.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun May 07, 2023 6:00 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Bit slow with the roll out, I believe Exeter is the only one so far and that was put in a year ago.
Also only able to fill when open and a high price not so good .
top of haldon hill Exeter best each hill has lpg at the services
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun May 07, 2023 6:12 pm

Molly3 wrote:Lpg pumps are being removed and being replaced with EV charge points , changing to deisel heating is option , some are increasing sollar and  lIthiam capacity is to become less dependent on lpg   . Lpg cars are a thing of the past , one  local lpg station's was charging £1,30 a litre, Mhome manufacturers are still
The diesel truma heater has not just now become a option 
Lpg vehicles never got high numbers as the damage to the engines 
The reason to pumps been removed is a long story and who owns the filling pump is not the filling station in most cases

Last edited by glyne lock on Sun May 07, 2023 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun May 07, 2023 6:23 pm

As for price , even at £2 per litre , it's still cheaper than bottles, I believe 6kg refills are now £32.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down