The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

teleco teleplus x2 coax change

+2
inspiredron
alanlakes
6 posters

Go down

teleco teleplus x2 coax change Empty teleco teleplus x2 coax change

Post by alanlakes Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:31 am

The coax on our teleco teleplus x2 antenna is cracked and sheef is fulling apart between roof and antenna. Has any body changed the coax? Have downloaded the installation pdf already.
Any tips would be most welcome 
Alan
alanlakes
alanlakes
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

teleco teleplus x2 coax change Empty Re: teleco teleplus x2 coax change

Post by alanlakes Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:08 pm

All sorted. It's fairly straitforward to remove the aerial and feed a new coax in.Used RG6 which is thicker and lowloss, therfore needed new F connectors.

Alan
alanlakes
alanlakes
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:09 pm

alanlakes wrote:All sorted. It's fairly straitforward to remove the aerial and feed a new coax in.Used RG6 which is thicker and lowloss, therfore needed new F connectors.

Alan
We'll done- I guess you are the first to tackle this. In your own words - Any tips would be welcome! 😀. Better still would be a full 
description of what you had to do and any problems you had to overcome.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:00 am

Yes indeed - as Ron suggests, this would be a very useful Fact Sheet (though I don't know how they are added). 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:34 am

Nor me, the late Roli did all the ones I have on there......
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by alanlakes Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:38 am

Working on word doc now. Wish I had taken some Pictures! Will post as a Reply unless I hear differently.

Alan
alanlakes
alanlakes
Donator
Donator

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alanlakes Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:35 am

Telco Teleplus Antenna Coax Renewal

You will need: -
Some new coax cable about a metre. Suggest RG6 low loss, it’s a bit thicker than what you are replacing but this is not a problem. 2 F connectors, Stanley Knife, Cutters, Pliers, insulating tape, Screwdrivers, Wipes, dust sheet or equivalent to put on roof. This is an easy job, despite the long list.

2 F connectors – the old ones will not fit new cable. Make sure you get correct ones for your particular cable width, as F connectors come in different widths. If the screw on F connectors slide on the new coax, put one turn of insulting tape around. I found RG6 F connectors require tape on RG6 coax!

1.       Ladder up the side of van that gives best working position. Have a yogurt pot ready to put nuts bolts etc in. Take a picture of existing antenna and its coax position so you can approximate the length of new coax when re-terminating it with new F connector. Same inside the van – Take a picture.
2.       Push antenna up and rotate it Vertically, so you can get to the F connector and 4 screws that hold Antenna on to mast. Suggest putting some cover on roof around antenna. See (Pic A)
3.       Undo F Connector and 4 screws (PIC A). Hold on to Antenna before removing last one. Lay antenna out of the way. Tip - whilst it’s off give it a good clean.
4.       You will see the rounded top of the Mast. It is the top cap of this that needs removing. Rotate Antenna mast back to the Horizontal position. On the top of the Mast are 4 screws/bolts these have captive nuts. Undo them carefully so you don’t lose nuts (PIC A).
5.       Carefully with a screwdriver blade prize the side plates away slightly BE GENTLE (PIC B). This will allow you to lift off the rounded top that the 4 bolts were holding down.
6.       Once off you will see the coax coming up the shaft and make a U-turn back out to the F connector which attached to the antenna. AT THIS POINT CHECK THE POSITION OF THE WINDING GEAR COG AT THE TOP OF THE SHAFT, I SUGGEST YOU TAKE A PICTURE TO MAKE SURE IT’S IN THE RIGHT POSITION BEFORE YOU REASSEMBLE LATER.
7.       Remove F connector.
8.       With the F connector removed you can push the coax out the U-turn hole so that you can remove it from the shaft – DO NOT DO THAT YET, leave it poking up in the air.
9.       Go into your van and disconnect the cable from the Amplifier and any Clips holding it. Remove the F connector and strip a couple of inches so the centre conductor is visible. Bend over the centre conductor and twist on itself forming a loop.
10.   Get your new Coax and strip a couple inches leaving centre conductor. Push the centre conductor of the new through the loop of the old coax and twist it back on itself – Joining old and new cables together
11.   Back on the roof of the van carefully pull old coax up, thus pulling up new coax.
12.   Pull through enough 15 inches or so. Cut off old coax to give a clean end on new coax
13.   Bend over new coax and push through U-turn hole from which in Note 6 above you removed old coax.
14.   Make sure coax at the u-bend point is pushed snuggly down.
15.   At this point before you reassemble – See 6 Above – IS WINDING GEAR IN CORRECT POSITION? Does it need a blob more grease?
16.   See 5 above – reverse procedure. Replace the rounded plate and push side plates back into position. Replace the 4 bolts with captive nuts.
17.   Rotate shaft so antenna would be vertical if fitted. Fit back the antenna and screw up the 4 screws removed in Note 3 above.
18.   Rotate shaft back and lower it into its travelling position so you can approximate length of new coax to terminate new f connector – see picture you took in Note 1 above.
19.   Install new F connector and tighten it up – do not over tighten.
20.   Inside the van refix new coax to old position and put on new F connector.
21.   TEST the signal on TV. Android App - UK Aerial Alignment is excellent
teleco teleplus x2 coax change 2023-012
teleco teleplus x2 coax change 2023-013
alanlakes
alanlakes
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:21 pm

That's really first-class, Alan, and will no doubt be of great help to those of us who need reassurance and confidence to tackle such jobs. 

I wonder if PaulMold can suggest how this guide can be added to the Factsheets? 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:26 pm

While on this subject:

My Teleco will not adjust to the vertical plane without giving the antenna some manual help on the roof whilst turning the handle inside the van. I took the antenna off hoping to gain access to a gearbox but no joy.

Has anyone accessed/repaired the mechanical bits?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by alanlakes Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:39 pm

Peter
If you look at step 4 & 5 and remove the domed /round plate you will see the Flat geared shaft that pushes up and rotates another gear to rotate the antenna. It may be slightly misaliged or need some grease or maybye worn down.

Alan
alanlakes
alanlakes
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:57 pm

Thanks Alan, I cant remember what stopped me at that point, maybe signs of corrosion. I'll have another go when I get a bit of time.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:10 pm

I did suggest another post (sorry can't remember the subject) was added to the Factsheets by Admin but nothing happened. Unless Admin were to add a moderator with authority to add such things, I can't see the Factsheets section expanding.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:29 pm

I feared that was the case, Paul. :et's hope Ed sees this thread.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:51 pm

alanlakes wrote:Telco Teleplus Antenna Coax Renewal

Thank you SO MUCH, Alan. That is a superb description of huge help to anyone else having to do this repair. It is exactly what this forum is all about. 😃😃👍

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down