The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo & B'way EK owners: advice please?

+7
Caraman
HJA
Peter Brown
IanH
Tinwheeler
Suppersready
AngleseyJJ
11 posters

Go down

Nuevo & B'way EK owners: advice please? Empty Nuevo & B'way EK owners: advice please?

Post by AngleseyJJ Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:14 pm

I have just hit 70 years of age and have been refused a C1 licence because apparently I have atrial fibrillation (and my wife has diabetes, so she is in the same boat). We have a 2016 Broadway FB ES which I adore, but we need to downsize. I like Autosleepers, and would quite fancy a Nuevo or a Broadway EK, but I can only wonder how - or if - it's feasible to carry deckchairs and a stand-alone awning without the space under the fixed bed - let alone an air fryer etc etc. If anybody has any helpful advice I'd love to hear it!
AngleseyJJ
AngleseyJJ

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Nuevo & B'way EK owners: advice please? Empty Re: Nuevo & B'way EK owners: advice please?

Post by Suppersready Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:30 pm

I’m assuming you have ruled out down plating to 3500kg ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Nuevo & B'way EK owners: advice please? Empty Re: Nuevo & B'way EK owners: advice please?

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:55 pm

I guess like any of us who downsize it will be necessary to re-evaluate what is carried. The essentials soon become less when you’re forced to reconsider space & payload and innovation kicks in with finding places to carry things. For instance, we used to carry folding chairs strapped to a bike rack. There are always options such as back boxes or even trailers if all else fails.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Suppersready likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:01 pm

or even inflatables.....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:07 pm

The Broadway FB is sold at 3500 but the payload is then negligible so most people have it upgrade to 4000 on purchase or very soon after (although I do know someone well who is managing at 3500).

We have gone through this process and now have a Broadway EB. We have been 'sensible' about what we transferred to the new van but have got all we need including toolbox, Cadac, etc and still have lots of spare locker space.

Our very large (and old) Lafuma recliners strap behind each of the cab seats without intruding at all and when we want to turn the cab seats around they fit between the back of the seat and dash.

A stand alone awning would be transported in the shower. We are testing how things go without silver screens and the microfibre towel i got for the purpose is coping well with condensation on the inside of the windscreen.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AngleseyJJ Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:18 pm

Suppersready wrote:I’m assuming you have ruled out down plating to 3500kg ?
The last time I took it to a weighbridge was in 2018, just after we had emptied all the cupboards for the annual hab service, it weighed exactly 3500kg. My wife and I were both on board and it may have had a few extras e.g. a lump hammer and pegs under the driver's seat, cutlery, and bedding, not to mention the fixed air conditioning, but according to SV Tech I'd need it to be around 3100kg before they could do it (then it would be £164 to down plate, a lot less than buying a new vehicle!).
I might well try a weighbridge again, because once upon a time I took a caravan to 2 quarries and a scrapyard on the same day - and got seriously different readings. I think it's a long shot, though. Thank you, though, for the suggestion.
AngleseyJJ
AngleseyJJ

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HJA Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:28 pm

When we had a Broadway EK the chairs went behind the cab seats.  We only used the wind out awning.
HJA
HJA

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:30 pm

We did think about down plating the Malvern so weighed it in a ready to go situation but without clothes and Lafumas - it came in at 3700 of the 3880 so we reckoned we'd have to reduce payload by 400kg to operate at 3500 so a none starter for us.

The area under the bed of the Malvern (2011) was cavernous as I'd remover the mechanism for inclining the beds and there were no services under there as there are in later models and I really didn't think we could manage without it but we've had four trips in the Broadway now with no issues. It would have helped to have the front locker in the Broadway rather than the extra skylight but we've found that a Duvaly and pillow in a locker each still leaves us with plenty of storage. The wardrobe and large drawers in the bathroom make all the difference, I think we would be struggling with an EK layout.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:30 pm

We downsized considerably from a largish 5 door tow car and caravan with fixed berths and end bathroom to the Nuevo EK and had no problems.  I have strapped two folding chairs to the bike rack in lieu of a bike but our preference is to carry them in the shower along with our water roll.  On pitch they are the first things to come out.  Our Duvaleys fit snuggly under the o/s bench seat having moved the battery forward and laterally in the locker.  Pillows go in the spaces above the cab.  The cab windows' screen goes under the n/s bench seat or in the shower if it's wet.  In the summer we pack a George Forman grill and largish windbreak under the n/s bench seat and still have room to spare.  We don't have a stand alone awning.  I keep heavy food items in two storage baskets on the floor behind the cab seats which does not stop them from swivelling.  We like the Nuevo's compactness and short wheel base and wouldn't swap it for anything larger.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AngleseyJJ Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:41 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:I guess like any of us who downsize it will be necessary to re-evaluate what is carried. The essentials soon become less when you’re forced to reconsider space & payload and innovation kicks in with finding places to carry things. For instance, we used to carry folding chairs strapped to a bike rack. There are always options such as back boxes or even trailers if all else fails.
I guess you're right, Tinwheeler, although I don't know how I'll get along without my grand piano! More seriously, we have been carrying a lot of inessentials because I am a sucker for gadgets. Thank you for your suggestions.
AngleseyJJ
AngleseyJJ

Male

Tinwheeler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Nuevo & B'way EK owners: advice please? Empty Thank you Caraman and Peter Brown...

Post by AngleseyJJ Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:51 pm

Lots of detail there, Caraman and Peter - much appreciated. And, yes, we did have our Broadway FB uprated to 3850kg. Good to see the compactness of the Nuevo is a benefit when driving.
AngleseyJJ
AngleseyJJ

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AngleseyJJ Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:54 pm

HJA wrote:When we had a Broadway EK the chairs went behind the cab seats.  We only used the wind out awning.
Ah! The second person to say the chairs went behind the seats. And now you mention it, I've only used the stand alone awning twice in several years, while the wind out awning is every day (almost) in summer. Thank you.
AngleseyJJ
AngleseyJJ

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aethelric Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:33 pm

We have a 2007 four berth Nuevo.  Our chairs are quite light and fit in the Luton area over the cab, along with various musical instruments.
Aethelric
Aethelric

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2007

AngleseyJJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:41 pm

We find the Nuevo has good storage for a 5.7m van, I put the two chairs,barbecue & water container in the bathroom.
3mx3m awning plus fishing Equitment,small tables & large Matt in outside locker plus all other kit & still more room.
We have looked at bigger vans with a rear lounge but they honestly don’t have the storage of my van.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2007

AngleseyJJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:10 pm

At the beginning of every season prior to the habitation check I empty everything out of my Nuevo EK

On my return home I only refill the motorhome with the essential items that I know I always need with me and then items I need for the trip I’m going on.
(this can change trip to trip)

If I’m traveling on my own the wife and dogs items don’t come along and only one chair, aqua roll stays at home as I use the motorhome when away to get around so can easily refill the water as I need it.

Really looking forward to being out in the motorhome this year, booked 3 rallies ASOC & CAMC and will be booking more as soon as I’m able.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by brianmor Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:10 pm

We've had our Broadway EK for 2.5 years now and when I first got it I was worried about the misery payload. I took it into a council weighbridge on the way to a weeks holiday with full fuel tank, 75% water and all the normal paraphernalia including a quest pop up tent and 2 bikes and it came in under 3500 kg which was a complete surprise. Don't forget the police and council give you + 5% tolerance, you could survive comfortably if you downplated to 3500kg
brianmor
brianmor

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 pm

I have found the rear axle mass and rear tyres load limit are the limiting factors.  On 3500 kg Nuevo/Broadway the axle limit is 2000 kg.  If standard 109 load rated tyres are fitted, the limit on each tyre is 1030 kg which make a total axle load of 2060 kg.  However, from a road safety perspective and due to the risk of overloading and uneven loading, TyreSafe recommend that no more than 90% of this is used which limits the axle load to 1854 kg.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down