The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost DAB radio

2 posters

Go down

Lost DAB radio Empty Lost DAB radio

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:21 pm

Hi I have been enjoying 7 years of uninterrupted DAB radio in my Broadway and on returning from Germany earlier this year, have found that DAB has completely gone from my radio. There is no menu to browse DAB stations, scrolling through only gives me AM & FM. Radio works fine but left wondering where my DAB went. I disconnected battery and reconnected. I don't possess a tool to remove the radio and don't know where to get one. Radio is a Mopar 250 VP1, no sat nav. Anyone know what's happened, had it happen to them or can shed any light on where DAB is hiding.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Lost DAB radio Empty Re: Lost DAB radio

Post by Roopert Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:17 pm

I understand what you mean when you say that there is no menu to browse DAB stations, but is there a menu item to select DAB as the transmission medium? If not, then I guess something has changed in the receiver's config settings.

I know from personal experience that some radios of this type can only be configured over their CAN interface - hopefully that's not true of yours! Do you have a setup/config/etc. menu item?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:47 pm

No the search menu is only for FM stations,  there is no mention of the word dab on any of the menus except the alert for traffic, finance etc but you can't tick the box to turn them on, nothing happens. No setup or config.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:08 pm

And there was definitely a DAB option before? That's not quite as dumb a question as it seems, because some radios try to "merge" FM and DAB together, with the radio automatically swapping between the two when DAB signal strength drops away (though in my experience this often doesn't work seamlessly because DAB has a greater delay than FM, typically).

If there was definitely a DAB option before and there isn't now, it seems the internal config of the headunit must have changed, for whatever reason.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:02 am

It's a dab radio, I have scanned dab stations several times, just have to put up with FM or go to Germany and get my DAB back!! Thanks for the input
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:09 am

Spockydog wrote:I have scanned dab stations several times

I don't understand. How can you scan for DAB stations if there are no DAB menu options?

Anyway, the point I was going to make is that DAB is slightly unusual, in that the receiver has to go through two stages. Firstly it has to find the ensembles (ensemble just seems to be a fancy name for a multiplex), and then it can analyse each of those to find the channels within. This always seems to take time - on my Kenwood it can easily take 10 minutes, after I have moved to a new location. So all I can suggest is that you keep repeating the scan process, and I suspect that they will just turn up eventually.

If you have any power supplies near the headunit (e.g. USB supplies for satnavs, phone charging, etc.) then disconnect them beforehand, as you may find that one of those is generating interference in the DAB part of the spectrum.

Of course, another possibility is that your DAB aerial has sustained damage. The location varies - on some vans it's in one of the door mirrors, on others it may be in the windscreen. One further factor is that a DAB antenna typically has a powered signal amplifier built-in, and this can be damaged if you have a lightning strike close by (which could have happened while you were away from the van).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:21 pm

Slight misunderstanding, in the past before Germany I scanned for dab stations when travelling around this country as I was given that option when looking at the menu. That option has gone completely it is no longer on the menu. My aerial is external attached to the roof showing no signs of damage. I don't know where it's signal amp is.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Lost DAB radio Empty good radio

Post by kevin141 Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:14 pm

Just purchased a cheep DAB radio from Amazon Very Good reception.

NC 1 Din Car Radio Stereo DAB/DAB+/FM Receiver Car Digital Radio System BT4.2 U-Disk TF  MP3 Player Dual USB Port

Last edited by kevin141 on Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
kevin141
kevin141

Male

Auto-Sleeper : neuvo 2
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down