The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go big or go home (or no home!)?

+3
Paulmold
Tinwheeler
Richard75
7 posters

Go down

Go big or go home (or no home!)? Empty Go big or go home (or no home!)?

Post by Richard75 Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 13:46

So my current situation is I've lost so much (self-employed) income over the last couple of years, I've got sell my house. I've got a bit of equity in it and I'm currently thinking of going crazy and spending the bulk of however much that is (after clearing debts) on a bigger and better van. I've also just qualified as a hypnotherapist so I'm planning to use the van as my therapy space.

My question is, what are the pros and cons to consider when upgrading from a 3.5 to a 5-tonne van (or bigger!), i.e. insurance, recovery, other practicalities, etc.?
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Go big or go home (or no home!)? Empty Re: Go big or go home (or no home!)?

Post by Tinwheeler Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 14:00

Sorry to hear of your situation.

On the issue of insurance, you will need business cover and most insurers want you to have a residential address.

A van over 3.5t will require a different MOT which is more expensive and breakdown/recovery insurance will be harder to come by. There will of course be driving licence categories to consider and some rules of the road will be different.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 14:21

Thanks Tinwheeler. Yeah the need for a permanent address is something I've raised on here before trying to find a workaround! DVLA and insurance require a permanent legal address so full-timers tend to use a family address or their own home that they're letting out. I'll have to let a small flat or a room (maybe the latter to avoid energy bills!).

Wasn't aware of the MOT situation - thanks for that!

I've got a pre-1997 licence so I think I have C1 which covers a 5-tonne, though I think you need something called a D4 - haven't got my head around all that yet.
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 14:49

You have much research to do, Richard.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 14:51

That's what this thread is for hugegrins .
Richard75
Richard75

Male

RogerThat and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 15:12

Richard75 wrote:That's what this thread is for hugegrins .
Errr, no, not really. We help and provide pointers but you can’t beat getting info from original sources which you know to be 100% accurate.

Imagine "Sorry officer, I didn’t know my driving licence didn’t cover me cos that chap on the forum said……." rolleyes
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 15:22

Do you own the forum Tinwheeler? If you don't want to help, it's not obligatory to respond.

As someone else pointed out a while back, this is called a forum, not an archive. We could really replace the whole forum with a page that says 'Look on Google', but that would defeat the object of a forum, which should be for friendly interaction rather than sanctimonious lecture.

I'm currently frantically painting my house and packing my possessions into boxes so I can try to sell up before the whole economy implodes and because I'm facing my own financial implosion imminently having watched my income evaporate over the last two years, which have been insanely stressful on all kinds of levels.

These are the times and circumstances when a lot of people throw themselves of a bridge or similar. I lost a career in the financial crisis of 08 and my business during Covid. Now I'm about to lose my home and so I'm considering blowing whatever equity I get from selling my house on a big stupid van and thought I'd ask the folks on here for some friendly advice.

There's a saying that "you don't have to attend every argument you're invited to". The same applies on a forum like this. You don't speak for everyone on this forum. If you don't want to help somebody out, you don't have to take part in the thread.
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 15:44

Richard, I did help you and you thanked me for it. I’m sorry about your situation but there really is no need to have a go at me simply because I pointed out the value of getting your info from original sources. shrugg
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Cymro and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 15:55

Do you not think people know that? Do you think people aren't familiar with concepts such as 'the law'. It's implicit that everyone is ultimately responsible for verifying information.

A forum is defined as: 'A public meeting place for open discussion.' That's what people are seeking on here - open discussion and friendly interaction. Not 'go and look up the law yourself'.

My orirginal question was pros and cons to consider when upgrading from a 3.5-tonne to a 5-tonne van. I was seeking the experience of fellow forum members, not a sanctimonious lecture on personal responsibility.
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 16:36

Can I suggest two Facebook broups that can offer advice and experience...
VanLife UK and Fulltime Van Life. There are members on there that earn their living in their vans.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Suppersready and Richard75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 17:38

I think it's true that you aren't likely to get a huge amount of "fulltimer" experience here - that doesn't seem to be common among A/S owners.

It's also going to be quite a tricky balance, finding (or perhaps creating) a van where you can offer a professional-looking therapy service in an environment where the detritus of everyday living doesn't intrude into the therapy space!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Richard75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 18:27

Thanks gents. As per the above, I'm not in a position to do authentic 'full-timing' because I don't have any family to use as an address so I'll need a fixed abode!

Roopert - I agree about the professional look! I've concluded the Pollensa is a bit too cramped to pull this off and has too many foibles for a professional therapy space! At least a newer / bigger 3.5-tonne or a 5-tonne would be a bit more presentable and offer more room to swing a metaphorical cat...
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 19:14

A motorhome - however grand - is a depreciating asset, with high recurrent costs. To me, it doesn't seem the answer. Renting a suitable property might be the immediate solution so that you can establish and grow your new profession. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Crashman and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 21:06

Here's a youtube video channel you may like.
I will say right away I don't approve, personally of some of the things they do or try to do but it may open your eyes a bit as to the potential problems.
Indeed if honest, people like these are probably doing the rest of us more harm than good...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 21:40

Thanks again for the suggestions folks -although the thread seems to have become about full-timing when my question was really about the pros and cons of upsizing from a 3.5 to a 5-tonne van! I thought there would be a few people on here who have made that leap - but maybe not...

I realise I need to have a fixed address, so I can't live in the van and avoid renting a flat (unfortunately) and that a van isn't an investment but I'm being forced off the property ladder so it is what it is...Having had a taste of the van life over the last couple of years, I'm trying to make the best of it by going a little crazy on a new van purchase!
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sun 7 Aug 2022 - 23:56

AS don’t manufacture a 5-tonne vehicle so your probably correct in your assumption that people on here have not made that leap.
I would suggest a site such as … Motorhomefun … may be a better option for you to seek the information you require. They have a section dedicated to full timers and many have vehicles the size you are looking at.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down