The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laminate coming away

+3
Paulmold
Eltel
SomersetLes
7 posters

Go down

Laminate coming away Empty Laminate coming away

Post by SomersetLes Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:39 pm

We are looking to buy a Nuevo of about 2105 to 2018 vintage.  Having looked at a few we have notice some of them have a problem with the dark brown laminate surface coming away from the inside of the wardrobe door.  In some it's just a lower corner where it is comong away, and in the worst case it was almost half of the whole inside of the door - exposing the MDF of the door.

And also the cupboard doors where it meets the horizontal silver effect decor strip.  On these it's as if the laminate has shrunk and you can see a gap between the silver strip and the edge of the laminate, where you can see the MDF of the door showing.

Is this a common problem on Autosleeper vans?  Is the laminate just bonded to the door by heat activating an adhesive on the reverse of the laminate?

I'm assuming its something that can be fixed by using a contact adhesive?

Any feedback would be welcome.
SomersetLes
SomersetLes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Laminate coming away Empty Re: Laminate coming away

Post by Eltel Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:55 am

I’ve had a couple instances with laminate coming away, and rectified by the dealer using contact adhesive
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Vehicle Year : 2017

SomersetLes likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:00 am

Several previous threads on this, here's one....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by SomersetLes Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:45 am

Paulmold wrote:Several previous threads on this, here's one....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I did see that one but it seems to point to dampness as the cause. It doesn't account for the 'shrinking' on the cupboard doors.
SomersetLes
SomersetLes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:21 am

We have had posts in the past about the shrinkage of veneer (it's not actually veneer but some form of  fablon) but I can't find threads. I remember someone getting the doors replaced by AS under warranty and another who had to buy new doors at cost price as a gesture of good will after warranty had expired. Not that common a problem or there would be lots of threads.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by SomersetLes Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:44 am

Paulmold wrote:We have had posts in the past about the shrinkage of veneer (it's not actually veneer but some form of  fablon) but I can't find threads. I remember someone getting the doors replaced by AS under warranty and another who had to buy new doors at cost price as a gesture of good will after warranty had expired. Not that common a problem or there would be lots of threads.
Yes, I gather it's some sort of plastic 'faux' veneer, as you say like Fablon.  Just surprised to see it coming away and shrinking on vans that are about 5 years old.  I suppose there's nothing that can be done about the shrinkage on the cupboard doors.  And the wardrobe door will just have to be dealt with using contact adhesive.  I doubt re-heating the 'Fablon' with say an iron will re-adhere it.

It seems to be a similar problem with some if the taped seams on the wall panels - behind the sofa cushions and in the toilet.  Installed with heat but now coming away.

Thanks for your input.
SomersetLes
SomersetLes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:45 am

I had all my overhead locker doors replaced under warranty for peeling of the laminate. It is a known issue for certain years of production, mine is a 2017 build.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB

Back to top Go down

Post by SomersetLes Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:48 am

Suppersready wrote:I had all my overhead locker doors replaced under warranty for peeling of the laminate. It is a known issue for certain years of production, mine is a 2017 build.
So it's known.  That's why we are seeing it in some of the vans we have looked at.  At that age they will be out of warranty, so it will have to be a repair job then.
SomersetLes
SomersetLes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:51 am

SomersetLes wrote:
Suppersready wrote:I had all my overhead locker doors replaced under warranty for peeling of the laminate. It is a known issue for certain years of production, mine is a 2017 build.
So it's known.  That's why we are seeing it in some of the vans we have looked at.  At that age they will be out of warranty, so it will have to be a repair job then.

As a known issue accepted by AS wouldn’t do any harm contacting them and quoting this ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andacami Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:29 pm

I have the same issue with the veneer peeling off the inside of the lockers and the ceiling strips peeling off too. AS were very good in sending a roll of ceiling strip but it is a slightly different colour and I'm not sure if I should use an iron to attach it - where I have tried (without heat/iron), it has instantly peeled off again. I've not tried a proper contact adhesive for the veneer, only gorilla glue - it did not work.

It's a November 2017 registered Corninum Duo.

Andy
Andacami
Andacami

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:50 pm

Andacami wrote:I have the same issue with the veneer peeling off the inside of the lockers and the ceiling strips peeling off too. AS were very good in sending a roll of ceiling strip but it is a slightly different colour and I'm not sure if I should use an iron to attach it - where I have tried (without heat/iron), it has instantly peeled off again. I've not tried a proper contact adhesive for the veneer, only gorilla glue - it did not work.

It's a November 2017 registered Corninum Duo.

AS attempted an initial fix by glueing the veneer, it did not work and started to peel again after only a few weeks. I think most tend to live with the peeling ceiling strips, I only have one that is like this and the engineer who replaced my locker doors told me to use a hair dryer on low setting to reactivate the glue.

Donator
Donator

Male

SomersetLes and Andacami like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:58 pm

Paulmold wrote:We have had posts in the past about the shrinkage of veneer (it's not actually veneer but some form of  fablon) but I can't find threads. I remember someone getting the doors replaced by AS under warranty and another who had to buy new doors at cost price as a gesture of good will after warranty had expired. Not that common a problem or there would be lots of threads.
That could be me. I had all overhead doors replaced after 4 years, not totally free but at a great reduced price. I contacted AS direct.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:47 pm

I have a similar issue on the MDF strip that forms the front left vertical corner of the wardrobe. In my case the Fablon has wrinkled rather than shrunk. I tried a hair drier but to no avail. If I could see how to release the corner then I'd consider replacing it - but I don't intend to completely remove the wardrobe 👎

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down