The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Storage Box

+3
KMRTOPAZ
rogerblack
gpilky
7 posters

Go down

Rear Storage Box Empty Rear Storage Box

Post by gpilky Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:30 am

All,

I'd like to add a storage box to the rear of my Broadway EB. I'm familiar with the Fiamma boxes that sit on the bike rack but to me they stick out too far and I'd have a better looking fixture if I fitted a box to the back of the van directly and removed the bike rack completely. Fiamma have a 'Wall Kit' option for their Ultrabox's, but this does not have the right hole spacing to fit to the existing fixings. They are also a bit wide or deep so not quite what I need. Instead I'm looking at a Top Box in the vertical orientation, with some internal mods to stop stuff falling out when I open it.

My questions to the forum are:

1. Can anyone envisage any issues with this? I'm not talking about items with a lot of weight (just bulky) so I won't exceed the 50kg rating given by AS.

2. Has anyone done anything similar using a non-Fiamma box? The Fiamma box's are eye-waveringly expensive for what they are, so if there is a cheaper alternative with similar dimensions its something I'd be interested in.

Thanks in advance for your help. For info, a link to the Fiamma box's is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and a photo of the rack on my van is below.

Cheers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Rear Storage Box Empty Re: Rear Storage Box

Post by rogerblack Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:57 pm

If it's of any interest, I have a Fiamma top box sitting unused in my garage. Although a few years old, it is brand new and unused. It was supplied when we changed vans and negotiated the same extras as the one we px-ed, such as bike rack, top box etc. 

However we have a large Fiamma back box which we use on the bike rack and we no longer wanted to go up on the roof so we never actually installed it.

It is a Fiamma F701322 Ultra Box Top 1 108 x 75 x 42 cm, similar to these but I note they no longer list the 1 although it is still shown on the dimensional drawing:

I do also have at least some of the roof bar mounting kit which seems remarkably similar to my backbox mountings so I can't see why this couldn't be fitted to a cycle rack - however I can't comment on any direct fixing to the van wall as I don't think the box would be robust enough to take any weight, unless of course you used large angle brackets going underneath (similar to microwave oven wall mounting brackets). However to me the easiest way would be just to use the existing bike rack.

If you're interested, I'd take any sensible offer but it would have to be collected from Berkshire, it's not something I could put in the post!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:25 pm

B&Q sell a range of tough workboxes with a hinged lockable lid made in black plastic.
I used one on a Fiamma bike rack.  Worth a look.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by j8snl Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:04 am

Hi Gpilky, I also have the Fiamma Ultra 500 Box mounted on the back of the same carrier you have.  Interesting thought on how far out it sticks, mines it literally a few inches from the wall as you need to slightly reshape your bars to fit the box properly.  

I'm honestly not sure how flush this box would even go on a wall mount option as it opens over the top if that makes sense so would still need to be out some what to allow that.

Totally understand the pricing aspect, I luckily found a second hand one for £175 so using what was there made sense to me, but if I was you I'd look to understand how much distance you'd really save versus the pain of switching over.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
j8snl
j8snl

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenny54 Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:30 pm

We purchased this at Peterborough's motorhome show,its light and has hardboard inserts brilliant for extra storage
Glenny54
Glenny54

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium fb

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:55 am

rogerblack wrote:If it's of any interest, I have a Fiamma top box sitting unused in my garage. Although a few years old, it is brand new and unused. It was supplied when we changed vans and negotiated the same extras as the one we px-ed, such as bike rack, top box etc. 

However we have a large Fiamma back box which we use on the bike rack and we no longer wanted to go up on the roof so we never actually installed it.

It is a Fiamma F701322 Ultra Box Top 1 108 x 75 x 42 cm, similar to these but I note they no longer list the 1 although it is still shown on the dimensional drawing:

I do also have at least some of the roof bar mounting kit which seems remarkably similar to my backbox mountings so I can't see why this couldn't be fitted to a cycle rack - however I can't comment on any direct fixing to the van wall as I don't think the box would be robust enough to take any weight, unless of course you used large angle brackets going underneath (similar to microwave oven wall mounting brackets). However to me the easiest way would be just to use the existing bike rack.

If you're interested, I'd take any sensible offer but it would have to be collected from Berkshire, it's not something I could put in the post!
Sorry for not replying earlier..... Thanks for the offer of the roof UltraBox - unfortunately Berkshire is a bit far for me from Yorkshire! I'm having trouble getting something that fits between the bars so was looking at L-shaped supports as you suggest - Fiamma do one for their Ultrabox's ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) but the holes don't fit my setup and I'd prefer not to drill new holes in the body. 

G
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:59 am

KMRTOPAZ wrote:B&Q sell a range of tough workboxes with a hinged lockable lid made in black plastic.
I used one on a Fiamma bike rack.  Worth a look.
Keith
Thanks for this Keith.  I've seen some box's in B&Q that look decent, and others elsewhere, and and option on the bike rack (in fact I was looking at a similar set up on a camper van last weekend). However, I'd prefer to dump the bike rack if possible as it just makes everything stick out that bit more. My hope was to find something I could mount that looks like a locker on the back, but narrow enough that it doesn't stick out much past the distance for the folded rack - perhaps an impossible dream!

G
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:02 am

j8snl wrote:Hi Gpilky, I also have the Fiamma Ultra 500 Box mounted on the back of the same carrier you have.  Interesting thought on how far out it sticks, mines it literally a few inches from the wall as you need to slightly reshape your bars to fit the box properly.  

I'm honestly not sure how flush this box would even go on a wall mount option as it opens over the top if that makes sense so would still need to be out some what to allow that.

Totally understand the pricing aspect, I luckily found a second hand one for £175 so using what was there made sense to me, but if I was you I'd look to understand how much distance you'd really save versus the pain of switching over.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks for the info and advice. Fiamma doe have a wall mounting bracket designed for the Ultrabox ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) so I assume it would open OK. Unfortunately the holes don't line up so its not a straight forward solution.

G
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:08 am

Glenny54 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
We purchased this at Peterborough's motorhome show,its light and has hardboard inserts brilliant for extra storage
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the image is a bit small and not too clear when I try to blow it up. To be honest I'm trying to avoid a box with straps for security reasons and would prefer a good strong box that is lockable - I know this is not perfect security but if someone breaks the lock then it is likely covered by insurance. Also would prefer to get rid of the rack totally if possible as it adds a bit more length / weight.
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjan Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:52 pm

Rear storage box. £30 pre owned Thule bike rack £23 box from Argos. Couple of straps and a long wire rope to lock it. Bbq, ramps, slip mats small table amazing how much you can get in and waterproof. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Auto-Sleeper : warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2015

Viney likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:19 pm

Chris (Freelander UK) recently did something similar at the back of his van with a slimline storage box.

Worth looking at his thread:

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down