The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice re selling van via dealer, please.

+7
IanH
Tinwheeler
SENTINEL
Roopert
Peter Brown
Bilbobaggins
Quilter
11 posters

Go down

Advice re selling van via dealer, please. Empty Advice re selling van via dealer, please.

Post by Quilter Tue May 17, 2022 5:41 pm

My husband of 53 years ( safariboy) died suddenly and totally unexpectedly in his sleep on 6th May. 

I gave up my C1 licence in December so legally cannot drive the van and, even if the van was downplated, do not want to holiday in it any more. I have only ever driven it a handful of times and then on empty Spanish roads.

I don’t want to tangle with private sales and intend to ask our local Marquis, who have sold us 3 vans and who we trust, if they will come and collect it from storage and sell it for me or buy it directly. 

I’d be grateful if anyone could point out any snags with this or offer any advice ?

Thank you

Quilter
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Advice re selling van via dealer, please. Empty Re: Advice re selling van via dealer, please.

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue May 17, 2022 5:47 pm

Can't help re the sale other than to say I would assume selling to dealer would be moststraightforeard. But may result in slightly lower price. However very sorry to hear your sad news and pass on my condolences. 

Look after yourself.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Advice re selling van via dealer, please. Empty Re: Advice re selling van via dealer, please.

Post by Peter Brown Tue May 17, 2022 5:53 pm

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news, please accept my condolences.

I know several people who have taken the path you suggest to dispose of their vans in similar circumstances to yours and its always gone well. Unfortunately there are no guarantees as different people will be involved.

A few years ago I would have recommended selling to the dealer as the quickest way of of reaching closure but with the market as it is today a quick sale is likely anyway. A dealer will give you less as he will have to give a warranty when he sells on, but with the commission you would have to pay him to manage the sale for you, what you get might not be much different.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue May 17, 2022 6:18 pm

As others have already said, I don't think there's a snag with what you plan to do. Ok, Marquis will want their profit margin, but they have to do that to stay in business - I don't think there is any prospect that Marquis would try to take advantage in terms of under-valuing the van (I'm not sure I could say the same of some other dealers).

Having said that, all of the private sales that I have made in the past have been good, and I've had very few timewasters. But in your situation it would probably be more complicated and time-consuming than you need.

I wish you the best, and hope that you're over the most turbulent of times soon. Perhaps in the longer term you could consider coming back to camper van/motorhome ownership in something a little smaller, but now is probably not the time to be thinking about that.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Tue May 17, 2022 6:43 pm

Quilter wrote:My husband of 53 years ( safariboy) died suddenly and totally unexpectedly in his sleep on 6th May. 

I gave up my C1 licence in December so legally cannot drive the van and, even if the van was downplated, do not want to holiday in it any more. I have only ever driven it a handful of times and then on empty Spanish roads.

I don’t want to tangle with private sales and intend to ask our local Marquis, who have sold us 3 vans and who we trust, if they will come and collect it from storage and sell it for me or buy it directly. 

I’d be grateful if anyone could point out any snags with this or offer any advice ?

Thank you

Quilter
Oh you have my absolute sympathy and understanding - I have just been through the same experience. My husband died suddenly 5 weeks ago. Like you I could not nor wanted to keep our lovely Symbol. 
I made several enquiries about selling the van and in the end sold it back to Marquis, from whom we bought it originally. I don't know whether all branches handle these matters in the same way, but certainly the Ipswich branch  dealt with the whole transaction sympathetically and considerately. They collected it and paid promptly. Yes of course they probably made a sizeable profit, and it sold within two days of their collecting it, BUT I was happy not to have had to deal with private buyers or traders haggling etc etc
I send you my very best wishes and please, if you want to PM me, please do.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue May 17, 2022 7:09 pm

My condolences to you, Quilter. I suggest selling to a dealer will be the simplest method causing least hassle. Marquis is the natural choice.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue May 17, 2022 7:19 pm

So sorry Quilter.
Sold 4 vans through dealers, two Simpsons Gt Yarmouth.
Price agreed on phone, subject to inspection, of course,
No quibbles, bank transfer on your driveway. Proven in your bank before they leave.
No issues afterwards, once paid for and gone, its theirs.
Far and away best option, you may get more private sale but virtually guatanteed to be hassle packed.
Go for easy option.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue May 17, 2022 8:28 pm

Thank you all. I am much reassured that it seems to be the best thing to do. 

When the van went in to Marquis for service they used to lend us a little Romahome and we enjoyed playing with it for the day. Perhaps, in time, I might think of one of them.

Best wishs and again thanks.

Quilter
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue May 17, 2022 11:12 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this, it must have been a terrible shock. My thoughts are with you in this difficult time.
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed May 18, 2022 8:10 am

Can't offer any advice on selling but can I offer my sincere condolences to both you, Quilter, and Sentinel.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed May 18, 2022 8:34 am

Sincere condolences to you both. I am sure that you will each treasure some lovely memories of those trips away just enjoying your surroundings and the flexibility and ease of travelling wherever the will took you.
May God give you peace as you move into this next stage of your lives.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu May 19, 2022 8:53 pm

Thank you again. I really value your support and kind wishes.

I’ve been in contact with Marquis and, subject to me being able to collect together all the paperwork and get the unused cushions, mats etc from the loft, they will buy it from me and collect it from storage.
A big relief.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Sally, Tinwheeler, Roopert, IanH, Bilbobaggins and SENTINEL like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Thu May 26, 2022 3:34 pm

Quilter. We are so shocked to hear of your tragic news today, please accept our condolences and  hope you are coping ok. 

Love from Leighton & Margaret.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:09 pm

Just an update re selling the van.

All praise to Marquis; they gave me a good quote on the phone which I accepted and I emptied the van and collected together all the bits we’d removed.  Two of the sales staff then came to the farm where we keep the van and, after a thorough check, drove it away. The agreed sum was in my bank account next day. They have dealt with all the paperwork and tax. I’ve even had a rebate from the insurance company.

Many thanks to those who offered advice and support, especially Sentinel.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Sally, Tinwheeler, Dbvwt, Roopert, babian and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:16 pm

Quilter wrote:Just an update re selling the van.

All praise to Marquis; they gave me a good quote on the phone which I accepted and I emptied the van and collected together all the bits we’d removed.  Two of the sales staff then came to the farm where we keep the van and, after a thorough check, drove it away. The agreed sum was in my bank account next day. They have dealt with all the paperwork and tax. I’ve even had a rebate from the insurance company.

Many thanks to those who offered advice and support, especially Sentinel.
You are very welcome dear Quilter and I am so glad that you were able to sort it all out and complete what was a horrible task without too much hassle. I also found Marquis to be considerate and understanding when faced with the same situation as you.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Quilter, MichaelP, Dbvwt and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down