The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water level sensors

3 posters

Go down

Water level sensors Empty Water level sensors

Post by SteveR Thu May 05, 2022 4:11 pm

fresh water tank level sensor showing full when it’s not, so not letting external pump get power, has anyone changed these sensors if so is it just a case of undoing nuts pulling sensor out, looks very like a rubber raw plug . As a temp fix can the cable o the top sensor (full) be separated as to not register on control panel allowing external pump to run
SteveR
SteveR

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Water level sensors Empty Re: Water level sensors

Post by Peter Brown Thu May 05, 2022 5:34 pm

There is no connection between the level sensors and the pump operation. On the control panel you can set pump power to internal, external or both and the pump switch has to be on for any to work, best to set to both

The Whale fill system has its own float switch in the tank and if the tank is actually full it will switch off the power to the external pump.

If water tracks between the sensors on the tank (either inside or outside) or penetrates the inline connector in the wiring loom, the tank level indication will always show full.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 05, 2022 6:00 pm

It's also my understanding that the fresh water tank has a float switch at the top of it which is not connected to the water level sensors.  If the mains hose is connected to the Whale inlet socket, does water flow into the tank when the Automatic Tank Fill is switched on?  If it does, power is getting to the Whale inlet socket so it would be worth checking the voltage on the Whale inlet socket's external brass contacts.  If there is 12v the pump could be faulty.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveR Thu May 05, 2022 8:00 pm

As far as I know there is no float switch this has been an ongoing problem with the dealer who tell me it is a sensor problem , been on a campsite where did not have mains water so wanted to fill from a 40lt container this was not possible as no power to my external pump plugged in, all power at control panel on , external pump only works when not showing full, can park it up at home showing 25% water get in the morning showing full.have temp got round it by buying spare pump connect a cig plug and a length of pipe,  plug it in to external tv 12v socket. Spoke to Sargent today known problem corrosion on sensors ,did ask can I disconnect 100% sensor as a way round , told ok but not a proper fix. Has anybody tried this ? Could do myself but still has warranty. How hard can it be!! Been in the motor trade 32 yrs if only Motorhome’s and caravans were designed by the people that use them
SteveR
SteveR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu May 05, 2022 9:05 pm

Whats the point of asking for help if you know better anyway?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveR Thu May 05, 2022 9:16 pm

It’s not that I know better because I don’t that is why I’m asking has anybody disconnected the 100% wire , sorry if comes  across that way .
SteveR
SteveR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 05, 2022 9:26 pm

Well that’s a surprise.  If you can get at the top sensor and disconnect it and it then pumps I would go for it.  It will only be a short term fix as the pump and mains water when connected won’t stop when the tank is full.  You will have to wait until the tank overflows and then disconnect.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveR Thu May 05, 2022 9:35 pm

Not that easy to get to as need to disconnect water pipes could just cut wire, re- connect later but being under warranty will not be good , but do seeing it if an ongoing problem with this system so maybe later just asking has anybody done this and does it work.thankyou
SteveR
SteveR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 05, 2022 10:15 pm

If it's still under warranty and the top sensor is a pig to get at as it is on mine, I would make do until it is repaired by filling the fresh water tank through the gravity filler cap with a hand held container or hosepipe.  Some fill their tank this way through preference and never use the Whale inlet socket.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveR Thu May 05, 2022 10:40 pm

Thanks for reply as said have rigged up a pump with 12v plug and hose can fill into filler this way , just think progress has gone backwards if it an’t broke don’t fix it . Back to the dealer it is then cheers. Steve
SteveR
SteveR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 05, 2022 10:45 pm

SteveR wrote:Thanks for reply as said have rigged up a pump with 12v plug and hose can fill into filler this way , just think progress has gone backwards if it an’t broke don’t fix it . Back to the dealer it is then cheers. Steve
Please report back how you get on.  Until tonight I thought I had a float switch in my fresh water tank.  Maybe I do but its different on your model but I would have thought all EC700 setups are the same.  I'll ask the question when I go to Willersey next month.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri May 06, 2022 10:30 am

Peter Brown wrote:Whats the point of asking for help if you know better anyway?

Sorry Steve R, had a bad day yesterday but thats no excuse.

Auto-sleeper use the Whale Autofill system:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The ability for the Sargent water level sensors to switch off the external pump should not be implemented on an auto-sleeper so you may have the wrong software in your EC700.

The bottom sensor on the tank is the common one.  If any other is connected to the bottom then 25% indication, any 2 50%. any 3 75% and all 4 100%.

If the sensors have scale on them you get 0% when the tank has water in it.  For the level indicator to show 100% all 5 sensors must be connected together either by tracking across sludge in the tank (use a proprietary tank cleaning fluid), water ingress into the wiring loom, a wiring fault or an EC700 fault.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

SteveR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri May 06, 2022 4:34 pm

You should be able to get at the bottom sensor.  Maybe if you can disconnect it, it will temporarily disable the gauge by breaking the circuit with the upper sensors and then it won't show 100% full anymore - even if it is full.  Once the problem has been resolved, you will be able to remake the connection and the gauge will be restored.

Your van is a similar age to mine.  I drain down after every trip so most of the time my tanks are empty.  Over 3 years I have descaled and cleaned the tanks twice.  I think others do it more often than this.  On advice from this Forum, to stop false readings, I have covered the sensor connections on the outside of the tanks with silicone sealant - with the exception of the top sensor on the fresh water tank which I can't reach.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

SteveR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveR Fri May 06, 2022 7:47 pm

Thankyou Peter and carman have been onto dealer today they are having back to change sensors (Sod’s law at moment all working as should ) there’s always a way round it but if it should work it should. Cheers. Steve
SteveR
SteveR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:59 pm

Caraman wrote:
SteveR wrote:Thanks for reply as said have rigged up a pump with 12v plug and hose can fill into filler this way , just think progress has gone backwards if it an’t broke don’t fix it . Back to the dealer it is then cheers. Steve
Please report back how you get on.  Until tonight I thought I had a float switch in my fresh water tank.  Maybe I do but its different on your model but I would have thought all EC700 setups are the same.  I'll ask the question when I go to Willersey next month.
I asked the question yesterday and was told that the EC700 does indeed use the fresh water tank full sensor, rather than a float switch, to cut power to the Whale inlet socket and solenoid when the fresh water tank is full.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down