The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing hinges

2 posters

Go down

Replacing hinges Empty Replacing hinges

Post by Nickbpublic Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:10 pm

I have several broken hinges in my side panels. Apart from tackling it one side at time is there anything I should watch out for ?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Nick B
Nickbpublic
Nickbpublic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Replacing hinges Empty Re: Replacing hinges

Post by Roopert Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 pm

I'd be wanting to understand why they broke, because I would expect there to be an underlying cause. I'm not completely sure if it was true in 1998, but if there is a significant amount of wood involved (there was in earlier versions of the roof) then I would want to check for rot in the woodwork first.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Nickbpublic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nickbpublic Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:46 am

At least 2 hinges have broke in half (Rust?) Until I can get a side out there are no visible signs of rot. I presume that if I put one side up and locked it will be straight forward to remove and repair the other side. I was hoping someone had been this way before and might have some guidance.

thanks

Nick B
Nickbpublic
Nickbpublic

Male

Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:09 pm

I can recall a thread here previously but the cause was slightly different - in that case it was a failure of the hinge at the base of one end panel, and that seemed to have been caused by water pooling under the front edge of the roof and rotting the wood crosspiece.

A/S faced a dilemma with the side panels, because they wanted to make them light, so they could not be very thick. This meant that anything screwed into the panel with a self tapper will tend to loosen if stressed. We had this problem on ours with the catches at the top, and I can remember removing them and fixing the opened-out screw holes before reinstalling. You might find a similar problem with the lower screw holes, but you'll probably only find out when you come to take them off.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down