The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stays/hinges for overcab cupboard

2 posters

Go down

stays/hinges for overcab cupboard Empty stays/hinges for overcab cupboard

Post by Ailsaj Mon May 17, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi there - the overcab cupboard in our Nuevo is extremely useful but unlike the side cupboards it doesn't have stays/hinges that will allow it to remain open, hence you need to be a contortionist and use your head and one hand to hold it up whilst trying to remove or put something away. Annoying! think_smiley_46 Can anyone recommend the right stays to keep it open?  up!
Ailsaj
Ailsaj

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

stays/hinges for overcab cupboard Empty Re: stays/hinges for overcab cupboard

Post by Gromit Mon May 17, 2021 5:13 pm

Small gas rams work a treat. Only a couple of quid each from eBay.

You need to make a small wooden bracket for fixing them though, which is not difficult.
When I asked Messrs A/S why they don't fit them, they said it was impossible due to the shape of the cupboard doors.  scratch head think_smiley_46 

I took savage delight in showing them mine when I had fitted them (we live quite close to Willersey). As far as I know they are still not fitting them.  shrugg

I thought I had photos, but can't find them. Will take some more if you have problems sorting it out . . . or you may prefer the lift and latch type of stay, which is very simple to fit.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailsaj Tue May 18, 2021 9:26 am

Hi Gromit - thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. If possible could you send me a photo of the ones you fitted -  I've been checking out various gas struts on Amazon but the lengths seem to vary. The lift and latch option looks like it might do the trick if all else fails. 
Ours is a late 2017 model and A/S obviously still not fitting them - it's the only niggly we have as they do seem to have thought of everything else content
many thanks -
Ailsaj
Ailsaj

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue May 18, 2021 2:54 pm

Can't find the ones I bought on eBay as the purchase history doesn't go back far enough.

I spotted these though, which look even better.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

Fitting them would be easy enough, although you might need a small block just inside the cupboard carcase to save screwing into the edge (of the carcase).

I know nothing about them, but a bit of research will tell you if they are what you want! Watch the video - they are so good you can even adjust them for a soft closure. Wish they had been available when I fixed ours. up!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailsaj Tue May 18, 2021 4:11 pm

Thanks Gromit - really appreciate all your help. I'll let you know how I get on content
Take care -
Ailsaj
Ailsaj

Female

Back to top Go down