The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway EB fridge

3 posters

Go down

Broadway EB fridge Empty Broadway EB fridge

Post by Dorset Bob Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:24 am

Forgive me if I have missed a similar thread in another section of the site …….

Currently in dispute with an independent dealer because they will not accept that the fridge (Thetford 9000 series) in our 2019 van is not maintaining a safe temperature (4-8C) when the ambient temperatures rise above 14C outside and 20C inside the van; they say that their tests do not detect any fault. My issue is that I didn’t have any problem with the older fridge in our 2000 Talisman GX; indeed, it is like being back in a tent using a cool box and ice packs from the site freezer!

Three questions:
Is this a common problem?
Is there a manufacturer solution?
Is there a self help solution?

Thanking you in anticipation.
Dorset Bob
Dorset Bob

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Broadway EB fridge Empty Re: Broadway EB fridge

Post by Caraman Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:28 pm

Dorset Bob wrote:Forgive me if I have missed a similar thread in another section of the site …….

Currently in dispute with an independent dealer because they will not accept that the fridge (Thetford 9000 series) in our 2019 van is not maintaining a safe temperature (4-8C) when the ambient temperatures rise above 14C outside and 20C inside the van; they say that their tests do not detect any fault. My issue is that I didn’t have any problem with the older fridge in our 2000 Talisman GX; indeed, it is like being back in a tent using a cool box and ice packs from the site freezer!

Three questions:

Is the problem running on gas or mains or both?  When the outside temperature is above 14C, have the winter covers been removed?  Has the original Thetford warranty expired?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorset Bob Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:05 pm

Good questions:
Both gas and 240v.
No winter covers supplied.
If 3 yrs warranty then probs ok which is why I’m pushing the dealer now.

I kept a log (for 10 days or so) of the fridge temp to compare with int/ext temps from the control panel plus met office forecast and the link is obvious to me but not the dealer!
Dorset Bob
Dorset Bob

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:35 pm

My 2019 Nuevo has a 3000 series Thetford fridge which has a 3 year warranty from Thetford (not A-S or the dealer).  I only have a few months of this warranty remaining and so far, fingers crossed and touching wood, I haven't had any problems.  It keeps things cool admirably.  In the early days we had to turn it down (or do I mean up) because it was freezing the contents.  It does sound as though there is something wrong with yours.  If you are having no joy with your dealer you could contact Thetford directly [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  I did this when I had a problem with my Thetford cooker.  They were very helpful and allowed me to take it to a Thetford dealer who was far more local than my A-S dealer.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorset Bob Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:09 pm

Thank you Caraman, that is a very useful link. 

Anticipating a saga with the dealer, I did seek an input last autumn from a local authorised Thetford engineer so I have that contact ‘in reserve’ as well if my squeeze on the dealer fails!
Dorset Bob
Dorset Bob

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:55 pm

Dorset Bob wrote:Forgive me if I have missed a similar thread in another section of the site …….

Three questions:

In my previous Nuevo 2015 i had a similar problem with fridge, replaced the thermostat located inside clipped to cooling fins top right, all ok then. Cost not a lot not sure where i bought it probably from Thetford website.
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorset Bob Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:03 am

Thank you Richard G for your feedback. Just to clarify: your fridge was ok while the inside/outside temps were low but just wouldn’t maintain a safe working temperature when the ambient temperatures increased?
Dorset Bob
Dorset Bob

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:13 am

A simple thing which you may have already done is to unclip the external vents and have a good look at them and the back of the fridge to check there is nothing restricting the airflow.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorset Bob Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:27 am

Another good suggestion Caraman. I did indeed give both vents the ‘mk 1 eyeball’ check and the area seems clear and I suspect that the dealer will also have checked as part of his functionally tests.

I followed up your Thetford link in an earlier post and am now waiting for a reply.
Dorset Bob
Dorset Bob

Male

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down