The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway Thetford Fridge

5 posters

Go down

Broadway Thetford Fridge Empty Broadway Thetford Fridge

Post by tcc Wed May 20, 2015 9:37 pm

We bought our Broadway LPTBEK in December and it's just over 1 year old. We tried it out a couple of weekends to get the feel of it and all went well so we then set off for Italy.

All was well as we travelled south and stopped over each night but when we were on site and stationary for a few days we found that the fridge was not working. It's the Thetford N3000 fully automatic and switches between the various supplies but I could not get it to work even on manual.
The element at the rear was very hot but the inside of the Fridge was not cooling. 
We found a local Thetford dealer yes he was Italian and no he didn't speak English and arranged to drop by and his first reaction was that it had not been installed correctly, the gap behind the Fridge and the outside vents was to big and not creating a chimney effect. He did fit a couple of pieces of wood inside to try and create the same draw but unfortunately it did not work so a couple of days later we went back to see him again and the only option was to fit a little extractor fan and a neat controller inside the van. 
This has made a big difference and it works fine and with the setting on high the fridge was down to zero degree's so I have dropped the setting down to half way and it's holding at about 6 degs.
It appears that while we were on the move the fridge vent worked OK due to the air flow but when we were stationary the problem appeared.
My question is does anyone else have the same problem or come across this issue as all the Broadway's would normally be installed the same?
Tony
tcc
tcc

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Broadway LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Broadway Thetford Fridge Empty Re: Broadway Thetford Fridge

Post by inspiredron Wed May 20, 2015 11:24 pm

My Lancashire should be essentially the same layout and I have no problems but I did install a small fan to assist the cooling when I went to Southern France last year after I had been concerned at the heat coming out of the top vent in Spain.
See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Thu May 21, 2015 8:26 pm

I've fitted a double fan on my last 2 motorhomes after having trouble with fridges working in high temperatures abroad.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Sat May 23, 2015 5:38 pm

We have a 2 year old Broadway FB, but the fridge seems to work ok, except when it is very hot. I would be interested to see a few pictures of your fan installation, its something I have considered, to try and get the fridge more efficient on a really hot day, like, just when you need it to be!
Allan

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat May 23, 2015 6:07 pm

There are now ready-made fan kits (obviously dearer than DIY but for the less DIYers amongst us) ...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Sat May 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks, I might have to buy one of those non diy kits......

Allan

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sat May 23, 2015 6:59 pm

I bought my kit from CAK tanks 4 years ago and just transferred it to my Broadway, last week in Benidorm 40 degrees and fridge worked just fine.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by tcc Sat May 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi guys
We had outside temperatures at about 27/28 degs and the fridge was useless but on having the fan kit installed the fridge worked fine and I can keep the temperature at a constant 6 degs with the setting in the middle.
We have actually moved further south near Rome now and the temperature has dropped to the low 20's and the fridge is still working well and the automatic fan has not been switching on at all.
Something to consider though if your travelling a warmer climate. 
Tony
tcc
tcc

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Broadway LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down