The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorised Awning

+18
BornAgain
aldhp21
inspiredron
Bobskate
Caraman
KMRTOPAZ
Kemerton-bath
Paulmold
Heanorboy
groundhog
Cymro
Suppersready
IanH
bikeralw
rgermain
Dbvwt
v8oholic
CJ1949
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Motorised Awning - Page 2 Empty Re: Motorised Awning

Post by groundhog Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:41 am

What a curious thread this has become, yet it contains some very useful information. I will certainly be looking to get one of the folding steps, Lady G is 5' 4" and it could be most useful and so easy to carry one. I am over 6' but our awning ( the integrated type) is a pain in the ..... sometimes and needs lifting on to the catches for final closure, standing on the door step with one hand holding the grab handle and the other shoving the end of the awning in is far from ideal.

Maybe I have missed something but where has anyone posted a motorised awning as "silly and unnecessary", I would love one but short of removing the integrated awning and adding a roof one I do not see how it could be done as there is no room for a motor.

Finally, I have been here ten years or so and posted over 4000 times, in that time I have never come across anyone mocking another member for whatever reason. Many times I have asked a question and have received all kinds of suggestions, some good some less so BUT I have always regarded them as another person trying to give guidance even though that guidance may nor be relevant or needed.

I really hope CJ that you manage to get your motorised system, it would transform your use of the awning, I do feel though with respect it may have been better to accept the suggestions made in good faith, albeit some may not be appropriate for you.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Cymro, bikeralw, rgermain, Liam, Bobskate, MelB, Paramedic and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:41 am

Caraman wrote:
CJ1949 wrote:
Today, I have contacted Autosleeper to see if it's at all possible.
If you get no joy can I suggest you contact the A-S Sales Manager Dave Williams who I have found very helpful.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The A-S Service Centre at Willersey carry out modifications to vans but it shouldn't be necessary to go down that route if the van hasn't left the production line yet.
I can second that, he sorted out our peeling cupboard doors. smile!
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:40 am

Rest assured you'll receive no more help from me hugegrins wave
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

rgermain, Bobskate and aldhp21 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:12 pm

groundhog wrote:Maybe I have missed something but where has anyone posted a motorised awning as "silly and unnecessary", I would love one but short of removing the integrated awning and adding a roof one I do not see how it could be done as there is no room for a motor.

I don't know about others but the Thule Omnistor motor just replaces the bit you stick the crank into, on the left hand end. It then becomes fully automatic. Instructions here:

v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

KMRTOPAZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:44 pm

I think that is for the roof mounted type awning not the integrated one. 8 stand to be corrected and if wrong would certainly look at fitting one.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:46 pm

groundhog wrote:I think that is for the roof mounted type awning not the integrated one. 8 stand to be corrected and if wrong would certainly look at fitting one.

That particular one is the same as the one fitted to my Symbol. I'd be surprised if the same didn't apply for others though, as it replaces the manual gearbox with a motor of the same size. It just depends on how accessible it is.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by aldhp21 Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:29 pm

CJ1949 wrote:
IanH wrote:How can a practical and useful tip such as using a cordless drill for an otherwise, perhaps, difficult task be seen as mocking a disability?
A sensible use of a cordless drill and a hell of a lot cheaper than a motorising kit for an awning. AND you still have the drill for any other tasks, not much else you can do with an awning motor?
I thought it was very clever and, yes, in tin tent days, had similar for the corner steadies! scratch head up!
" Mocking" ? Could a 'laughing' emotion not considered be one?

As a test Ian please try opening the awning with a drill attached to the handle (if this is possible) with your right arm tied behind your back.

For the record my wife is 4'11" and very small & quite frail & elderly also had my first caravan in 1968 so got a little bit of knowledge about steadies etc.

For those who think a 'motorised awning' with a remote is bit 'silly and unnecessary'
I assume they never use your TV remote but I suppose they get up to Manually change the channel?

Anyway please no more views or 'advice'
Thank you

What a strange reaction, you ask for help and now say no more views or advice!! Very strange, think you may be a bit sensitive as I have seen no evidence of mocking, just some friendly advice.
aldhp21
aldhp21

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:10 pm

I find winding the awning quite difficult and am able-bodied. We have the folding step mentioned above and that can help. Sometimes the end of the winding handle seems to get stuck in the socket and it can take quite a lot of fiddling around to remove it. Motorised winders sound a good idea but more to go wrong of course.
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:06 pm

BornAgain wrote:Sometimes the end of the winding handle seems to get stuck in the socket and it can take quite a lot of fiddling around to remove it.
When I collected my sussex duo van conversion, the mechanic in charge of the handover (an ordeal in itself) managed to get the handle stuck when showing me the awning. It took 3 of them to remove it. I’ve never been happy using it and rarely do so, partly because I fear it getting stuck.
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

SENTINEL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:58 am

Sally wrote:
BornAgain wrote:Sometimes the end of the winding handle seems to get stuck in the socket and it can take quite a lot of fiddling around to remove it.
When I collected my sussex duo van conversion, the mechanic in charge of the handover (an ordeal in itself) managed to get the handle stuck when showing me the awning. It took 3 of them to remove it. I’ve never been happy using it and rarely do so, partly because I fear it getting stuck.
Mine gets stuck sometimes but a bit of wiggling solves it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Sally wrote:
Glad that I am not the only one  smile!
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Cymro and Sally like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:33 pm

I initially had trouble releasing the winder from the socket, but I saw the cross pegs were wobbling on the shaft. Judicious hammering on the rivet holding them tightened them up, and now much easier to disengage.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:48 pm

Just come across this:

Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:18 pm

To be fair I can rarely be bothered using it as I’m out in it most days when on holiday. But it’s always put me off, thinking what happens if it genuinely gets stuck. You can’t drive like that.

I always thought it was mine that was broken, but it appears to be a design issue. 

Apologies for hijacking the thread though; I hope the original poster can get an electric one fitted.
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:25 pm

I have always found gently gently catchee monkey.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:48 pm

I am sorry but I have only just seen this post.  We have a 2014 Bourton with a Carefree electric wind out awning. The switches are above the door on the inside and very neatly done.  It was fitted by AS  at the time.  I think AS fitted them as a special that year.  It is easy to operate but our question has always been how do we get it back if there is no power?  There is a safety bolt at the top which you can access to manually wind it back in but next question is how do you get up there without carting a ladder around? Thankfully that hasn’t happened.    I don’t know if you resolved your problem.  I hope so.  Mrs Jimmee.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:51 pm

For those who find it difficult to remove the winding handle from a Thule awning.....first stop swearing then try the following. It's counter-intuitive but it works
Gently but with total conviction push the winding handle into the winding slot, Give it a quarter turn clockwise. Remove.
Try it and if it works give me a 'like'.  The number of likes will show if this is the correct procedure,   or not!
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2