The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV channels available reduced by van - why?

+7
rogerblack
Relaxez-Vous
Paulmold
Peter Brown
rgermain
Dbvwt
LDPD
11 posters

Go down

TV channels available reduced by van - why? Empty TV channels available reduced by van - why?

Post by LDPD Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:07 pm

OK - here's the issue.
Avtex tv connected to the aerial socket in the van. Normally all we do us retune and we're all good.

However, we're on a CMC site with virtually no reception from our roof aerial even with a signal amplifier.
So, we plug an aerial cable from the bollard to the socket on the side of our van. Retune the TV and get 6 channels. Hmmmm

Now plug the same cable from the bollard directly into the TV - retune and we get 97 channels!

My understanding is that the output from the signal amplifier and input from the bollard are connected together with the two aerial points(only one used) in our van.

So, what is going on to cause the loss of signal/channels? Anyone had this problen? Any advice / remedy to resolve this issue?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

TV channels available reduced by van - why? Empty Re: TV channels available reduced by van - why?

Post by Dbvwt Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:31 pm

I can’t answer your problem specifically but I had continual issues with poor/intermittent reception.
I’ve finally got a reliable Signal but only after getting rid of all A/S cabling and also the flying saucer on the roof. A/S coax cabling is well known on the forum!
As you have been ok previously, check the coax socket inside the van that the TV is plugged into. Mine frequently gave a poor connection and often needed the contacts squeezing with long nosed pliers.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

MelB and RogerThat like this post

Back to top Go down

TV channels available reduced by van - why? Empty Re: TV channels available reduced by van - why?

Post by rgermain Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:10 pm

Dbvwt wrote:I can’t answer your problem specifically but I had continual issues with poor/intermittent reception.
I’ve finally got a reliable Signal but only after getting rid of all A/S cabling and also the flying saucer on the roof. A/S coax cabling is well known on the forum!
As you have been ok previously, check the coax socket inside the van that the TV is plugged into. Mine frequently gave a poor connection and often needed the contacts squeezing with long nosed pliers.
 Pliers wiring No. 81's?  hugegrins

I agree with your A/S cabling, mine just fell out when I looked into the connections.
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:15 pm

Dbvwt wrote:I can’t answer your problem specifically but I had continual issues with poor/intermittent reception.
Thanks.
Hadn't picked up on the coax posts - interesting reading.

I know where the coax cable ends are - just got to find where they might be joined together so I can do some testing. Not my idea of fun though!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:20 pm

The none technical answer is that AS connect the external socket to the various internal using a 'daisy chain' of unsuitable 't-connectors' these reduce the signal strength that arrives at the TV to about 20% of that from the bollard.

When using a site tv signal, connect that direct to the TV and bypass the van altogether.

There is a fairly simple and inexpensive way to modify the tv cable wiring to make it efficient, if you are a member of ASOC contact the technical officer and he can advise.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:29 pm

rgermain wrote:

Like these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain and Richard G like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:34 pm

rgermain wrote:

I agree with your A/S cabling, mine just fell out when I looked into the connections.
--------
Richard

Does the photo bring back fond memories Richard?   Edit… BT must have updated the colour in the 1980’s Peter!

Back on topic, I found loose or poorly terminated connectors at every turn. It was quite shocking how bad it was.

Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:37 pm

When using site bollard connection,  try plugging your flylead into the satellite socket (you need an F plug to convert from satellite  to coax). My van only has one plug in the outside box, so I need an F plug there as well but that works for me.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:19 pm

6 channels and you're complaining, we stayed at Hawes recently and because of the transmissions from the Bilsdale mast were out, there was neither direct reception from a roof mounted aerial or from the CAMC pedestal. We watched Bill Bailey streamed onto my smart phone, any use of our mini satellite was out of the question because where we parked up was shielded by trees. I suppose a MiFi link would have worked too, not necessarily with our model of Avtex TV. The radio worked as did our Mp3 players and too the papers, magazines, and books we had brought. We even talked to each other.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:37 pm

We don't have any form of rooftop aerial on our van but we do have an external aerial input socket which feeds an internal socket via a 12V powered amplifier, original A-S equipment.

When we used to bother carrying a TV then latterly a plug-in DVB-T stick for the laptop, I simply used a small domestic rooftop type aerial on the end of an extendable pole, slotted into a fitment I attached to the external ladder, rotatable for best signal and vert/horiz alignment.

If I attached that to the external AS socket, whichever settings I made to the amplifier, the signal was poor and the number of channels was minimal. If I took the aerial coax cable through the window and connected directly into the socket on the TV or stick, the signal was invariably much stronger and more channels always available, so we just stopped using the A-S socket/amplifier.

We gradually gave up with any form of live TV receiver. just carried boxed DVD sets instead.  Now we either stream or just don't bother with TV programmes at all, it makes a welcome change to get away from them!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:43 am

My 81's were non insulated, then we were tough in those days. hugegrins
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoff57 Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:46 pm

I had a similar problem when connecting from the bollard to the side of the van.
I was told to turn off the signal amplifier in the van and this solved the problem.

Geoff
Geoff57
Geoff57
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:17 pm

Best solution I've found/used.
Black discs are rubber coated magnets
Aerial is a MOONRAKER
Pole is remains of extending wash brush, worth buying for the extending pole alone!
Aerial needs 12v for its integral amp[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Brief update.
Thanks for the various comments and suggestions.

Everything works as expected except that having done some more extensive testing I've arrived at the conclusion that the aerial socket in the side of the van isn't connected to anything.

There is a cable connected to the back of the socket inside the van, but the cable disappears under the boiler. I can't locate where it goes and where it joins up with the signal from the roof aerial via the booster (which has one cable in and one out) and where it splits for the two internal sockets at the front and rear of our van. Anyone have any idea where AS might have hidden their splitters / connectors in our Bourton?

Am also in the process of making contact with the ASOC technical group before talking to AS.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:13 am

My 2021 Corinium Duo has the splitters behind the microwave, looking at where the microwave and TV inputs are in your Bourton they might be there, its a bit of a mess with splitters everywhere, if you have multiple TV sockets and the Oyster dish it will have just the one LNB which is a right pain.

I bought a couple of Freesat boxes and rewired mine to suit although as it has just the one LNB only one of the boxes will work at a time - bloody stupid on a van that costs this much.

Pictures are the wrong way round the bottom one is what you get from AS the other two are how a wired in the Freesat boxes.

wilksy
wilksy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by safariboy Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:00 pm

On my Broadway the connections are not all that obvious.  The TV input goes the F connector under  the cupboard and the F input goes to the F in the cupboard.  I have never totally understood all the connections.  The amplifier takes it input from the aerial and outputs to the TV socket under the cupboard.

I get the impression that bollard connections do not provide the same strength on all channels and perhaps that the van wiring produces more attenuation on some channels than others.

Autosleepers re-made all the coax connections as some were intermittent.
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down