The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2009 Nuevo - Replacement Gas Regulator?

4 posters

Go down

2009 Nuevo - Replacement Gas Regulator? Empty 2009 Nuevo - Replacement Gas Regulator?

Post by DartmoorPete Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Afternoon all,

My wife has been away for a few days in the Nuevo and, unfortunately, none of the gas appliances worked. A friend onsite checked and is pretty sure the regulator has had it and needs replacing.

The existing regulator is a bulkhead mounted Truma unit. From what I've read the likely problem is that it has "oiled up" from contaminants in the gas cylinder. I have not replaced the regulator since purchasing the Nuevo a few years back so maybe it's due for replacement anyway. For all I know it is the original regulator going back to 2009...who knows.

I've seen online opinion that alternative regulators (eg Cavagna/Gaslow/Clesse) are more reliable and perhaps cheaper. HOWEVER I've also seen opinion that these other regulators don't catch the oily deposits (in the same way as the Truma ones do) and they end up clogging up the jets in the gas appliances themselves which results in a far bigger/costlier problem and you are therefore better off with a Truma unit.

Be very grateful for any opinions anyone may have to guide me on whether I'm better off replacing with another Truma unit or not?

Many thanks
Pete
DartmoorPete
DartmoorPete

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Classic
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

2009 Nuevo - Replacement Gas Regulator? Empty Re: 2009 Nuevo - Replacement Gas Regulator?

Post by roli Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:07 pm

I would replace it with the current Truma bulkhead reg that has a slam shut safety valve.
 I have written in a similar thread in the last week
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

DartmoorPete likes this post

Back to top Go down

2009 Nuevo - Replacement Gas Regulator? Empty Re: 2009 Nuevo - Replacement Gas Regulator?

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:14 pm

It was certainly true when bulkhead regulators started to be installed around 2003 they got clogged up. The regulator should be mounted above the cylinder so any liquid leeching out of the hose goes back to into the cylinder not in the downhill direction of the regulator. What you also need is a good quality high pressure hose.

I would expect in a 2009 Nuevo this would have been all properly sorted out by A-S during manufacture.

My preference would be to fit like for like because the mounting holes might be the same, but I don't know the normal failure rate of current Truma regulators.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

DartmoorPete likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DartmoorPete Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:55 pm

Roli - thanks for that.

I saw your other post and that you have expertise on the subject which prompts me to ask you a related question!

What do you think of those gas filter bowl/mechanism things which can be fitted to the pipework upstream of the regulator? Worth doing as I've seen it said they catch 99% of contaminants/oily deposits?

Thanks!
Pete
DartmoorPete
DartmoorPete

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Classic
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:16 am

Sorry Pete I have no experience of them,but I am thinking located between the supply and the regulator it wouldn’t d,o any harm. Don’t put anything between the regulator and your gas appliances
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:56 am

Hi Pete
I change the regulator to the gas low but you need the correct size for your pipe size and fittings 
As R V had said you need to always have the regulator above the gas bottle you are using 
A way of helping  to stop the regulator blocking is to have the cooker working then turn off the gas at the bottle this burns off the gas in the pipe and helps stop the blocking you get as it sound like your problem is .
The regulator has got a breather hole that blocks and gives problems 
I had problems with the regulator on my new camper the first year and had to be replaced .I do have a regulator in my spares as this is a regular problem and I wild camp  a lot and could not be with out the gas in operation
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down