The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fridge not working

4 posters

Go down

Fridge not working Empty Fridge not working

Post by Spindleshanks Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:17 am

The fridge on my 2003 auto sleeper executive has always worked ok, and it’s still ok when using a hook up, but it’s not working when driving along and the red light isn’t coming on. Has anyone got any idea what’s wrong?
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive SE
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Fridge not working Empty Re: Fridge not working

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:32 am

Fuse blown. Unfortunately  these fuses can be in a couple of places, first they may be close to leisure battery (possibly under drivers seat). You should find two fuses together, one is for split charge system the other for the 12v supply to fridge. Second, they may be above the engine battery in the engine bay, often just hanging close to the scuttle. In this case water runs off the scuttle onto the fuses corroding the fuse holders and either blowing the fuse or just stopping the fuse making a good connection.  The fuse holder may need replacing as well as the fuse.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Spindleshanks Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 am

Thanks for the quick reply, I thought it might be a fuse, but not sure where to look. I’ll see if I can get at it and sort it out. I’m away in Scotland, so at least it’s not boiling hot and the fridge stays cool from being plugged in.
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spindleshanks Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:44 pm

Fixed it ! 
Thanks Paul
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:52 pm

Spindleshanks wrote:Fixed it ! 
Thanks Paul
If it was a fuse, where was it, good to know for others?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Spindleshanks Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:18 am

The fuse was underneath the drivers seat, it hadn’t blown, but pulling it out and pushing it back in seemed to fix it. I think that must have reset the relay.
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:12 pm

Be warned: damage to the wiring in this area is very common on A/S vans of that age. The problem is often high resistance at one end of the fuse (often a poorly made crimp which causes the wiring to overheat).

If it were mine I would examine it carefully. The problem gets worse because the heat makes the fuse holder terminals less springy so they grip less well, terminal resistance goes up and so it gets hotter. It's not unusual for the whole fuseholder to melt. So worth looking at carefully before that can happen.

I should add that this is not by any means certain to happen! I've owned 5 A/S conversions and it has happened on none of them. But it does happen on a few, and it's frustrating if it happens while you're away - not easy to fix without the right tools.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Spindleshanks Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:41 pm

Thanks for that, it’s still working ok, but we’ll check it out properly when we get home in a few days.
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Roopert wrote:Be warned: damage to the wiring in this area is very common on A/S vans of that age. The problem is often high resistance at one end of the fuse (often a poorly made crimp which causes the wiring to overheat).

If it were mine I would examine it carefully. The problem gets worse because the heat makes the fuse holder terminals less springy so they grip less well, terminal resistance goes up and so it gets hotter. It's not unusual for the whole fuseholder to melt. So worth looking at carefully before that can happen.

I should add that this is not by any means certain to happen! I've owned 5 A/S conversions and it has happened on none of them. But it does happen on a few, and it's frustrating if it happens while you're away - not easy to fix without the right tools.
I have had that problem in my last van not autosleeper  as you say the fuse holder melted  but did not blow fuse  .cured by fitting a much better quality  fuse holder
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down