The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot won't start

5 posters

Go down

Peugeot won't start Empty Peugeot won't start

Post by streetglider Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:13 pm

Just pulled in to a site in Scotland after a 100 mile faultless run. Stopped the engine for two minutes then tried to restart. Nothing - all dash lights and running lights on but not a sound when turned the ignition key. Left it off for fifteen minutes while we searched for the breakdown/insurance phone number and tried to restart again. Started first time !!! Any ideas ?
Don
streetglider
streetglider
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Peugeot won't start Empty Re: Peugeot won't start

Post by Roopert Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:18 pm

I'd expect it to be an intermittent fault with the starter motor or the ignition switch. Of course it could be something else such as the wiring, but things with moving parts tend to fail before those without.

You may be able to distinguish between the two by carefully listening for noises as you turn the switch - a solenoid noise from the starter motor area would make failure of the starter itself more likely, I would think.

If it's an auto (sounds unlikely, but worth asking) then the gearbox neutral interlock switch is a high probability.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:21 pm

One thing which I’ve had in the past which was similar was a sticking or overheating relay which appeared fine until switched off, then would not warm start. It had to be left for 15-20 minutes to cool down. In my case it was worse news than just replacing the relay because the fuel pump was drawing more power than it should, and that was causing it. 

Another thing which can sometimes happen is a poor connection on the engine earth strap which can work for a while and then the heat stops it making a good enough connection for a high load such as the starter motor. However in that case, all the dash lights would probably have gone out momentarily when you engaged the starter. So probably not that.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm

Immobiliser or alarm fault?🤷‍�
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by streetglider Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:19 pm

Thanks for all your help and advice. The engine started after a ten minute delay and, despite stopping and starting regularly for the rest of the holiday, the problem hasn't reoccurred. Back from holiday now so I'll contact our local Peugeot dealer to see if he has any ideas. Perhaps, hopefully, it was just a funny turn ??

Don
streetglider
streetglider
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:06 am

streetglider wrote:Thanks for all your help and advice. The engine started after a ten minute delay and, despite stopping and starting regularly for the rest of the holiday, the problem hasn't reoccurred. Back from holiday now so I'll contact our local Peugeot dealer to see if he has any ideas. Perhaps, hopefully, it was just a funny turn ??

Don
I had this problem when stalling the van and then finding that the battery was flat in the rush hour on the Edinburgh Ring Road.
To cut a long story short the AA mechanic asked me who had fitted the battery, I had to admit it was me and I could see her beside me ears pricking up.
The battery positive connection is a scissor-like push arrangement but it has to be attached at the very base of the pole on the battery as it is tapered I was told.
I had attached it somewhere in the middle and it had come loose resulting in intermittent charging and eventual failure.
After a jump start from the mechanic it was a very silent journey home but a lesson learned.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down