The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hab door wont lock remotely

+13
Peter Brown
Craney
Tightbeat
Plymouthwelshboy
PhilipL
SteveMichelleBaylis
Caraman
Molly3
Norwich Lass
Mids
inspiredron
KMRTOPAZ
Mallings
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

hab door wont lock  remotely Empty hab door wont lock remotely

Post by Mallings Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:15 pm

hi , help please  my  hab door  on broadway eb wont lock remotely, step goes in and locks with key any ideas please
thank in advance
mids
Mallings
Mallings

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

hab door wont lock  remotely Empty Re: hab door wont lock remotely

Post by KMRTOPAZ Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:15 pm

It's always worth cleaning the electrical contacts in the door edge before investigating further/ Finish the cleaning with a light smear of conductive grease, Vaseline.  
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:18 am

When that happened on mine it was the locking solenoid. I have a cable twixt door and frame, not contacts.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:15 am

Thanks for the help. But not sure what part of the door to clean .where are the electrical  contacts  and clean with  what?
Thanks again
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:26 pm

I am not familiar with the Broadway. If it is a cable through the hinge side of the door, my suggestion is pointless. Soory.  Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Norwich Lass Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:01 pm

This happened to our Malvern - just got “ out of sync” because we opened lock from inside without using key . Sorted it out if lock when inside and open with key . May have to manually put step down a few times …
Norwich Lass
Norwich Lass

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 pm

If you have electrical contacts it would be easy to spot on  the door and frame .as would a twisting wire,
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:02 pm

Mids wrote:Thanks for the help. But not sure what part of the door to clean .where are the electrical  contacts  and clean with  what?
Thanks again
A pair of square shinny sprung buttons and corresponding contacts at the bottom of the habitation door jam.  If the buttons are not moving in and out freely, proper contact may not be made when the door is shut.  Manipulate the buttons with some WD40 if this is the case.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mids
Mids

Male

Tightbeat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi caraman
Did you mean the contacts  at the bottom  of the door. Have  pushed them in and out and wipped  the contacts.  Door now locking.thanks for your advice
Mids
Mids

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:53 pm

up!
Mids wrote:Hi caraman
Did you mean the contacts  at the bottom  of the door. Have  pushed them in and out and wipped  the contacts.  Door now locking.thanks for your advice
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:13 pm

KMRTOPAZ wrote:It's always worth cleaning the electrical contacts in the door edge before investigating further/ Finish the cleaning with a light smear of conductive grease, Vaseline.  
Keith

rolleyes
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveMichelleBaylis Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:05 am

Had the same problem with mine, door was out of sync with the remote after I opened it from the inside before unlocking via the button on the front, so in effect over-rode the lock.
I needed to be outside, lock the van with the remote, then re-lock the hab door with the key...
SteveMichelleBaylis
SteveMichelleBaylis

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilipL Wed May 18, 2022 11:13 am

I have just bought an Autosleeper Burford and the habitation door does not lock remotely with the vehicle key. When I took it back to get it checked I was told that Autosleeper no longer connect the door to the vehicle electronics and so disable the autolock feature as it was causing too many problems with the new Mercedes sprinter electrics. I will therefore have to lock the habitation door manually with a key each time. Not very satisfactory on a top of the range model!

The contacts, wiring and solenoid are all there - just not connected.
PhilipL
PhilipL

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford
Vehicle Year : 2022

Rdb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Fri May 20, 2022 9:28 pm

We have same issue on EB as well. We have found that if we forget to push the lock button on the dashbiard to 'open' before opening a door to go out...it throws the hab door lock out of sequence...so lock doors at night using button on dash.....push it again in morning to unlock everything before stepping out. So far that has cured the hab door lock sequence each time
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Tightbeat Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:43 pm

I have had to put some plastic spacers behind the contact block on the door frame. The constant swinging of the door in the wind has bent the thin hinges and moved the door slightly away from the frame on my Neuvo 2019. Will replace the hinges when I can find similar. Locks OK now the contacts meet up. Hope this helps?
Tightbeat
Tightbeat

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo RK
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

hab door wont lock  remotely Empty Habitation Remote door not locking

Post by Craney Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:06 pm

up! My 1 year Broadway habitation door remote locking stopped working. Step working checked for 12 volt pulse for door solenoid working correctly and then solenoid resistance about 2 ohms so all looked good. Closer inspection revealed that the fixed and door contacts were not aligning. The simple reason was that the door hinges had slipped allowing the door to drop. Re-adjustment of the hinges and all working correctly.
Craney
Craney

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:23 pm

PhilipL wrote:I have just bought an Autosleeper Burford and the habitation door does not lock remotely with the vehicle key. When I took it back to get it checked I was told that Autosleeper no longer connect the door to the vehicle electronics and so disable the autolock feature as it was causing too many problems with the new Mercedes sprinter electrics. I will therefore have to lock the habitation door manually with a key each time. Not very satisfactory on a top of the range model!

The contacts, wiring and solenoid are all there - just not connected.

Please read the first post at the link here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have personally witnessed many people locked out of their Ford or Mercedes because the doors have autolocked. When on site we always manually lock/unlock the habitation door but also have a hidden key in case we get distracted. At least its one potential problem that you don't have to worry about.

On newer Mercedes's registered after 1/10/2012 the MobiloVan cover will pay for the costs involved after keys have been locked in the van. A friend was reimbursed by MB after the dealer did charge her for the work.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Xaye Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:40 pm

Have you tried to speak with a locksmith?
Xaye
Xaye

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:55 am

The central locking of my habitation door has just stopped working, whether the locking button is pressed once or twice for dead locking.  The door can still be locked with the key and the central locking will then unlock it but not lock it again.  

When I try to centrally lock I can hear a click coming from the habitation door.  The habitation step and the central locking and unlocking of the cab doors are working fine.  I've unscrewed the contacts in the habitation door jamb and they seem fine and clean.  I've smeared them with a bit of Vaseline and can see from the impressions in the Vaseline that contact is being made when the door is shut.  I've also tried centrally locking when inside the van and locking the habitation door manually from inside by pushing the handle in and then unlocking centrally.  It didn't unlock the habitation door which had to be unlocked with the handle and when outside the central locking still wouldn't re-lock the door.  I've tested the voltages on the contacts on the door frame.  When centrally unlocking (which works) there is a brief indication of a positive 12V.  When centrally locking (which doesn't work) there is a brief indication of a negative voltage but with an inconclusive level.  The fuses are fine.  The upper and lower latches on the habitation door seem fine and can be clicked in and out manually when the door is open.  

Any ideas?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:13 pm

if you have used the key to manual unlock the door at any time, try using the key and make sure it is turned to the right before removing it and then try the central locking.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:07 pm

Caslon wrote:if you have used the key to manual unlock the door at any time, try using the key and make sure it is turned to the right before removing it and then try the central locking.
Thanks.  Tried that but no joy.  However, it's made me understand the key lock a little better which I don't normally use.  I've discovered the central locking neither locks nor unlocks the habitation door.  From the outside it can only be done with the key.  I've also played with the multimeter a bit more.  There is certainly a signal being sent to the fixed contacts on the door frame when locking and unlocking.  One seems to be positive and the other negative but it's not possible to read either voltage properly as its too brief.  When the door is shut the signal is getting to the mechanism in the door as there is a click.  A-S on-line FAQ suggests a linkage problem from the solenoid in the door but cautions against removing the door's inner skin as its difficult to reassemble.  Has anyone tried this?
  • The control rods connecting the solenoid to the locking mechanism have detached.  In an emergency it is possible to remove the inner door skin to gain access but this is not a job we recommend you attempt – If you do, take lots of photos as you go because it is a real jigsaw puzzle to reassemble.

Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:24 pm

worth a try, I also found  if unlocked by the manual and you only go to the upright position and remove the key, the central locking will not work, return the key far as you can to the left, past the upright position before removing it,
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:15 pm

Caslon wrote:worth a try, I also found  if unlocked by the manual and you only go to the upright position and remove the key, the central locking will not work, return the key far as you can to the left, past the upright position before removing it,
Thanks.  On my lock you have to turn the key fully anticlockwise to lock it but the key hole has to return to the vertical position, which it does naturally, for the key to be removed.  To unlock the key has to be turned fully clockwise but the key hole can either be left in the fully clockwise position (horizontal) or turned back to the vertical position for the key to be removed.  So when there is no key in the lock, the key hole can be vertical which could mean the door is locked or unlocked, or it can be horizontal which can only mean it's unlocked.  There must be a reason for this but I don't know what it is.  I've tried all permutations of the door lock which haven't had any affect on my central locking/unlocking.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:58 pm

I had the same problem as you, central locking on the hab door would not lock the door, it turned out when I left the van I locked it using central locking, but when a friend came back to the van used the manual key and it stopped working, by locking the van using the key and unlocking several times moving the key to left and right, it started working again on central locking.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next