The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rusty Gas Tank

3 posters

Go down

Rusty Gas Tank Empty Rusty Gas Tank

Post by bernieproberts Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:52 am

Hi. I have a Nuevo ES 2013. I have been reading about the rusty gas tanks and decided to look at mine. There were cracks in the red tank covering so I started to peal it off. I found it to be very rusty where the red tank covering must have been holding water. I pealed and scraped most of the red covering off. I have wire brushed the tank and it looks good only patches of thicker rust. It is only the bottom half of the tank that is rusty the top looks Ok. I propose to use Waxoil on the tank to preserve it.

I don’t understand why the tank was not better protected. A coat of thick underseal should have been applied with instructions to inspect it each year and renew the underseal if necessary. I think all AS owners should be made aware of this rust problem. I will have my tank inspected if I can find a competent person in Kent.

Bernie.

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : 2013 Nuevo ES

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rusty Gas Tank Empty Re: Rusty Gas Tank

Post by Cymro Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:16 am

Very useful information, thank you. 

It's not easy to inspect the underslung tank - I tried to have a look at mine last week, and I could only examine about 40% of the surface. The majority is inaccessible, facing the skirt or the underside of the vehicle.  What I could see seemed OK - I'd had it undersealed when new.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Rusty Gas Tank Empty Re: Rusty Gas Tank

Post by KMRTOPAZ Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:39 am

It's not just the tank that raises concern. In a five year old non-AS vehicle I found that two mild steel straps held the tank; one was rusted and broken; the other was close to separation. The manufacturer refused to accept any responsibility, saying it was a maintenance issue.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down