The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burford Duo: VB Air Suspension

4 posters

Go down

Burford Duo: VB Air Suspension Empty Burford Duo: VB Air Suspension

Post by Lefty Fri 7 May 2021 - 12:56

We are collecting our new Burford Duo on Monday and looking at getting Full VB Air Suspension fitted. I understand you can only have  only the rear axle with air suspension fitted? Has anyone had both axles with air suspension, if so what make?
Lefty
Lefty

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Burford Duo: VB Air Suspension Empty Re: Burford Duo: VB Air Suspension

Post by Guest Fri 7 May 2021 - 14:51

VB (4 wheel) is very popular on larger vans...some swear by it, sometimes the jury is out. 
a pal had it on his largish a class (similar size to the Burford) but i couldnt really feel the difference.
the Merc is likely to be fairly softly sprung anyway...if you get the tyre pressures right you might not need VB.
i would try without, at correct pressures (not silly high ones) and see. then i would find a demo vehicle and try that over the same roads.
it aint cheap and against the soft riding Merc, might be a bit of a disappointment....ie not a significant improvement for the outlay.
you can always have it fitted after if you think its worth it....id be going on my own judgement rathernthsn soemone elses, at that price.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly Motorhome Fri 14 May 2021 - 12:27

Can't comment on the latest Sprinter chassis but my 2016 was transformed from a bangie/crashie ride by having VB Air fitted on the rear.  It also ensures the van rides level irrespective of the load which transformed towing my 1.3 tonne trailer.
Can't recommend it highly enough.
Molly Motorhome
Molly Motorhome

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Buford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Diggins and Steedt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggins Wed 26 May 2021 - 15:35

We bought our 2018 Burford Duo last November (2020), and even during the test drive my husband remarked about the harsh ride. We still went ahead and bought it, but had decided to get VB suspension fitted as soon as possible after purchase.

Despite the three pointed star on the radiator of the plush motorhome, we still felt that the leaf-spring suspension was standard commercial van issue and needed to be upgraded to 'match' the rest of the vehicle. My other half had also driven many different lorries over the years and was aware of the difference in ride quality between leaf-spring and air suspension fitted trucks. Even with this knowledge, it was still daunting to hand over four grand after buying the vehicle itself.

But it was definitely, definitely worth it. We have found that (cliche alert!) the ride has been transformed and is so much better than before. Bumps or potholes etc are now a dull and distant thump whereas before, the whole vehicle rattled and juddered. The Burford also stays level going round corners, when it used to lean like a listing boat.

To fit or not to fit is for individuals to make, dependant on their own circumstances, and what they want from their motorhome. In retrospect, if I wanted a vehicle for the odd weekend away by the sea with the occasional week on the road I would have struggled with the cost of upgraded suspension and probably not bothered with it. But if you are contemplating wandering around Europe whilst retired, I would say it is most definitely worth paying for.
Tyre pressures are something I would not contemplate experimenting with. I would play safe and stick to the tyre/vehicle manufacturers recommendations.

All in all, we are happy with the VB suspension fitting and would recommend it.
Diggins
Diggins

Female

Vehicle Year : 2018

Lefty and Steedt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Wed 26 May 2021 - 16:05

I have now paid the deposit and look forward to having fitted as soon as part are available.
Lefty
Lefty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggins Wed 26 May 2021 - 19:03

Lefty,
I forgot to mention that we opted for the VB-Full air 2C suspension system for the front OR rear axle (in our case the rear axle). The two other options available to us were: 
3C- VB Full Air, a semi air suspension system for the front axle and a full air suspension system for the rear axle. 
4C- VB Full Air, a full air suspension system for the front and rear axle.

We got the 2C and are more than happy with it. If you've gone for 3C or 4C, then I can only imagine that you will be in for a real treat!
Diggins
Diggins

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Wed 26 May 2021 - 19:45

As the Burford Duo is on a Sprinter 3.5ton chassis you can only have the VB 2C system as Mercedes will not approved the full 4C for the Sprinter chassis.
Lefty
Lefty

Male

Tim042 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggins Wed 26 May 2021 - 22:15

That is interesting. When shopping for the product, we didn't see beyond the 2C so weren't aware of the Mercedes-Benz approval being limited. (Presumably due to weight?) 

FYI, a lot of the VB parts fitted are Mercedes branded and our insurance company was happy when informed of the modifications.
Diggins
Diggins

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Thu 27 May 2021 - 8:31

Hi Everyone
      just for interest what springs single or double leaf are fitted to the latest AS Sprinters, there was lost of posts a couple of years back about the wrong springs being fitted
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down