The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike rack loading ramp ideas anyone?

+2
rogerblack
LDPD
6 posters

Go down

Bike rack loading ramp ideas anyone? Empty Bike rack loading ramp ideas anyone?

Post by LDPD Wed May 05, 2021 2:55 pm

We have electric bikes which are a little on the heavy side and awkward for loading onto a low mounted Fiamma bike rack, even with the batteries removed. Thule do a neat loading ramp so you can just roll the bike up onto the rails, but nothing similar on Fiamma. Has anyone devised a simple solution to make it easier to load heavy bikes? Would appreciate some creative thinking!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Bike rack loading ramp ideas anyone? Empty Re: Bike rack loading ramp ideas anyone?

Post by rogerblack Wed May 05, 2021 3:00 pm

Have you considered the electric bike version of this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Bike rack loading ramp ideas anyone? Empty Re: Bike rack loading ramp ideas anyone?

Post by LDPD Wed May 05, 2021 3:19 pm

rogerblack wrote:Have you considered the electric bike version of this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hmmm! It would certainly reduce the weight in my wallet.

Nice idea but as everything else is good, for now I'll continue seeing it as a weight training opportunity each time I have to load/unload with my trusty assistant.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed May 05, 2021 3:33 pm

Send for the Thule ramp from Amazon,see if it can be adapted for your  use if not return undamaged of cause

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:Send for the Thule ramp from Amazon,see if it can be adapted for your  use if not return undamaged of cause

Now there's a £41 idea.  agree3

Last edited by LDPD on Wed May 05, 2021 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Amazon price)

Donator
Donator

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed May 05, 2021 3:42 pm

I don't know how low your Fiamma rack is - I've never noticed one on a 2019 van.

If you have a towbar fitted, you might consider a Thule (or similar) towball mounted rack.

The bike rails are virtually the same height as the towball, so very low, and having taken our electric bikes to the Med and back without a single hiccup, I can recommend it.

Hope this is useful.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm

Better solution IMHO, is rent bikes on arrival, if terrain is suitable for us oldies, there'll be wall to wall bikes to rent, if not, there will be few if any!!

Noticed that in Holland rental electric bikes are very little more expensive than human powered ones, you may be thinking Holland is flat, and it mostly is, but it still managed considerable headwinds! up! up! hugegrins

BTW, my Fiamma bike rack which was fitted to my new (to me) Executive currently for sale in the for sale section up! up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Wed May 05, 2021 11:29 pm

if you put "lifting an e-bike" into the search facility, you will find a post that I wrote with illustrations.  You will also find a number of alternatives in a lengthy series of posts from other members.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Sat May 08, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for the suggestions.
Here's an update on our thinking.
Our bike rack folds down to a bit above the number plate level, so it's not up really high.
I can single-handly (well with two hands!) load the bikes and with assistance, it's easier.
We are looking for a low cost way of perhaps easing the loading effort by using a ramp.
We don't have a tow bar fitted and have ruled this out on the basis of cost - tow bar and new rack and most important of all, the fact that it would take a chunk out of our precious payload.
At this stage changing the rack seems an unnecessary expense.

FreelanderUk's idea has merit and we may try that - we have also had an idea how to make something that may do the trick which I'll look into further.
Will report back if anything successful to show and share!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down