The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo 2007 Spare Wheel mechanism

+8
gpilky
Beetee
Cymro
Knick-Knack
raymondo
mcalid
ColinCamper
lcparker
12 posters

Go down

Nuevo 2007 Spare Wheel mechanism  Empty Nuevo 2007 Spare Wheel mechanism

Post by lcparker Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:10 pm

I've been trying to check the spare wheel in my 2007 Nuevo.  After finding my way to the mechanism and the tools I wound for quite a while but with no visible movement of the wheel either up or down.  I suspect the mechanism has corroded and isn't working at all.  Could it be that the cable has broken?  Is there a diagram of the mechanism?  
The wheel can currently wobble and spin on whatever supports it.  Should it be tight up to the chassis? 
I'm pretty sure the breakdown service wouldn't mess around with it and would probably just take the wheel away for repair/replacement.  I doubt I'd risk changing the wheel myself so I could just leave the wheel at home and save carting it around if I could get it off!
Any suggestions on what I could do with it? (tried shouting, cursing, shouting etc.!)

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES LP
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Nuevo 2007 Spare Wheel mechanism  Empty Re: Nuevo 2007 Spare Wheel mechanism

Post by ColinCamper Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:43 pm

I can't provide a solution only suggest that you try to force the wheel away from the chassis using some handy crowbar/length of timber as the cable may have jammed. The wheel is fully suspended from the cable so if it was broken the wheel would drop off. Normally the wheel should be wound up tight to the chassis. It is quite tricky to undo the fastener that sits inside the wheel then incline the plate to thread through the wheel centre. Due to the weight of the wheel I always lower it to the ground and use a chock of wood under one side of the wheel to allow space to remove the plate. Best of luck!
ColinCamper
ColinCamper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Nuevo 2007 Spare Wheel mechanism  Empty Be Careful.

Post by mcalid Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:38 pm

lcparker wrote:I've been trying to check the spare wheel in my 2007 Nuevo.  After finding my way to the mechanism and the tools I wound for quite a while but with no visible movement of the wheel either up or down.  I suspect the mechanism has corroded and isn't working at all.  Could it be that the cable has broken?  Is there a diagram of the mechanism?  
The wheel can currently wobble and spin on whatever supports it.  Should it be tight up to the chassis? 
I'm pretty sure the breakdown service wouldn't mess around with it and would probably just take the wheel away for repair/replacement.  I doubt I'd risk changing the wheel myself so I could just leave the wheel at home and save carting it around if I could get it off!
Any suggestions on what I could do with it? (tried shouting, cursing, shouting etc.!)
I had this problem when punctured and having to call out a mobile tire fitter when stuck on the road, he used a power tool to lower the wheel cage and then said that he would leave me with the damaged wheel inside the van and use cable ties to secure the cage in the meantime.I was happy with that as I obviously needed the puncture repaired.
When the tire was repaired the cage would not raise again as the power tool had stripped the threads on the winding mechanism and it cost me around £300 to replace it. (The f***** knew he had done it and suckered me well).
Good luck with it but be careful.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Mon May 03, 2021 6:50 pm

The first time I had to lower the spare every thing turned as it should but there was no movement of the wheel, the spare had basically welded itself to the floor of the motorhome, it took a great deal of hammering and banging to free it.

Now winding down the spare is part of the annual spring time commissioning.

On the subject though is there any way of lubricating the mechanism, its underneath and target for all of the road crap and I can see no way of getting grease or oil into it
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Knick-Knack Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 am

1.  We had a 2007 Citroen Relay a while ago which was recalled by the manufacturer for an alteration to the spare wheel carrier.  I have no idea what was done, but it was free at the local dealership.  It might be worth checking with a dealer.

2.  We had a puncture on our current van (2009 Nuevo) and the spare wheel came down easily, suspended on a cable.

3.  If your spare wobbles and spins, that doesn't sound safe.

Good luck.

Nick
Knick-Knack
Knick-Knack

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by lcparker Thu May 13, 2021 8:33 pm

Update  ...
I've now had the garage remove the spare wheel carrier.  They ground off the rivets to examine the workings and found that the worm drive had been stripped (as happened with mcalid) presumably because someone used a power tool (picture below).  As one might expect it's not possible to just buy a new worm drive you have to buy the whole assembly at about £250!!  This raises a few questions  ...
1 - why on earth is it made of plastic?
2 - why isn't it made so you can take it apart for repair and buy only the parts you need?
3 - why isn't it made to be more robust and more accessible?
I know the answers of course - it's to increase profits.  
Incidentally the garage has done a brilliant job in sourcing the correct part.  The unit they originally sent was the wrong one and they eventually discovered that there are three or four different ones and some chassis' were fitted with different ones.  They are having to have one sent from Italy as they were out of stock in the UK!  Nothing is simple!
confused3 confused3

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

sussextravellers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 pm

raymondo wrote:The first time I had to lower the spare every thing turned as it should but there was no movement of the wheel, the spare had basically welded itself to the floor of the motorhome, it took a great deal of hammering and banging to free it.

On the subject though is there any way of lubricating the mechanism, its underneath and target for all of the road crap and I can see no way of getting grease or oil into it
 I really should lower the spare, just to check that when the repair man comes, it'll lower OK.

I've wondered about lubrication. I've sprayed WD40 but that won't help the enclosed mechanism.  Or is it the case that as it's plastic it doesn't need lubricating?  Anyone know what to do?

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 13, 2021 10:32 pm

We had this problem last year. It's a design fault. It's very easy to strip the cog even when winding it down manually. The whole weight of the wheel is held on a cable which has to be wound down and up on the cog. It's a good idea to lower and raise mechanism to keep the mechanism free at least twice a year. The whole weight of the wheel is suspended on a metal rope which means the weight is suspended on the cable as it's wound back up and clicked back into place. As it's under the vehicle towards the rear it's also prone to all the rubbish from the road getting into the mechanism. Not good.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Beetee Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 am

After reading about this problem in previous posts I now ask the garage to check the mechanism as part of the annual service.
Beetee
Beetee

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo (Lancashire)
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Fri May 14, 2021 10:27 am

Cymro wrote:
raymondo wrote:The first time I had to lower the spare every thing turned as it should but there was no movement of the wheel, the spare had basically welded itself to the floor of the motorhome, it took a great deal of hammering and banging to free it.

I really should lower the spare, just to check that when the repair man comes, it'll lower OK.

I've wondered about lubrication. I've sprayed WD40 but that won't help the enclosed mechanism.  Or is it the case that as it's plastic it doesn't need lubricating?  Anyone know what to do?

Cymro
Don't know if its any benefit but I sprayed the cable with WD40 Lithium grease, and also the area around the winding mechanism - time will tell if this works......
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Fri May 14, 2021 10:28 am

Pnefan wrote:We had this problem last year. It's a design fault. It's very easy to strip the cog even when winding it down manually. The whole weight of the wheel is held on a cable which has to be wound down and up on the cog. It's a good idea to lower and raise mechanism to keep the mechanism free at least twice a year. The whole weight of the wheel is suspended on a metal rope which means the weight is suspended on the cable as it's wound back up and clicked back into place. As it's under the vehicle towards the rear it's also prone to all the rubbish from the road getting into the mechanism. Not good.
I also wind it down twice a year - even though it is a pain. However, its also a good thing to do to check the spare too.
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Fri May 14, 2021 10:31 am

A question: Has anyone considered doing away with the spare? Perhaps carry one of these squirty sealant can kits? Seems to me there would be a decent weight saving to have, especially as many say they wouldn't change the tyre at the roadside anyway.....
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri May 14, 2021 11:01 am

Our AS Suffolk on a Sprinter only had a squirty can and compressor. I deliberately sourced a spare wheel and mounted it on the towbar as a fail safe. Just as well because the compressor subsequently proved not capable of inflating to the pressure needed. Give me a real wheel every time even if I need to get the RAC to change it.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by lcparker Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am

gpilky wrote:A question: Has anyone considered doing away with the spare? Perhaps carry one of these squirty sealant can kits? Seems to me there would be a decent weight saving to have, especially as many say they wouldn't change the tyre at the roadside anyway.....
I did consider it for going away next week before the new spare wheel carrier gets installed but my nerve failed me and I'll just carry it inside and store it underneath when I get to site!   smile!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri May 14, 2021 11:23 am

gpilky wrote:A question: Has anyone considered doing away with the spare? Perhaps carry one of these squirty sealant can kits? Seems to me there would be a decent weight saving to have, especially as many say they wouldn't change the tyre at the roadside anyway.....
If you use the squirty sealant you then need a new tyre or an inner tube when th epuncture is repaired!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Fri May 14, 2021 11:55 am

inspiredron wrote:
If you use the squirty sealant you then need a new tyre or an inner tube when th epuncture is repaired!
Yeh - I know...... if it is repairable at all. I have had 6 or 7 punctures in our various cars and only 1 time was it repairable, so my assumption is a new tyre is likely needed anyway. Also, my spare has never been used, and it would save me £100+ if I didn't replace it!

Obvious downside is the loss of the 'safety blanket' that carrying a spare gives.
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Fri May 14, 2021 11:57 am

Tinwheeler wrote:Our AS Suffolk on a Sprinter only had a squirty can and compressor. I deliberately sourced a spare wheel and mounted it on the towbar as a fail safe. Just as well because the compressor subsequently proved not capable of inflating to the pressure needed. Give me a real wheel every time even if I need to get the RAC to change it.
Useful information - thanks. I carry a tyre inflator anyway, so I guess I'd only need the squirty can? I guess I need to check this option out a bit more.......
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri May 14, 2021 1:08 pm

gpilky wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:Our AS Suffolk on a Sprinter only had a squirty can and compressor. I deliberately sourced a spare wheel and mounted it on the towbar as a fail safe. Just as well because the compressor subsequently proved not capable of inflating to the pressure needed. Give me a real wheel every time even if I need to get the RAC to change it.
Useful information - thanks. I carry a tyre inflator anyway, so I guess I'd only need the squirty can? I guess I need to check this option out a bit more.......
It pays to consider all angles. Here's ours - easily accessible. Fortunately we already had the towbar and a local man fabricated the bracket. The wheel was secured with a bike lock.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

ColinCamper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Fri May 14, 2021 10:12 pm

If you use  a ready spare can  read the instructions ,    as the vehicle speed  may be significantly  restricted  .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sat May 15, 2021 5:14 pm

That gear cog of Icparker looks as if it could be made on a 3D printer  . .

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down